Scotty Irving

  • tconklin69
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 23, 2002
      Hey guys,

      I don't know if you've ever heard of this guy or not, but I saw a
      documentary about him done by a NC filmmaker at a film festival
      recently. His name is Scotty Irving, a devout Christian who makes
      percussion-based noise in His name. Unlike any Christian music you've
      ever heard, in all likelihood.

      An excerpt from an article about him:

      Perhaps it's best that the club's audience didn't experience Clang
      Quartet, which is actually a performance-art piece based on the life
      of Christ. Irving is affable and gentlemanly with a manic, Benigni-
      like sense of humor, but put him on stage and he turns into a
      snarling, raging beast-part John Bonham and part John the Baptist.
      He'sscary enough behind a drum kit, from which his strength and Swiss-
      clock precision punctuated Geezer Lake and now propel Greensboro funk-
      metallists Elvis X. With Clang Quartet he's completely unleashed,
      solo on a stage littered with such things as saws, sheet metal,
      broken cymbals, sticks and crutches (the May issue of Modern Drummer
      praised the "unusual instrumentation" on his recent demo tape). He
      bangs and clangs and yells, jumping this way and that, yet somehow
      manages to create "music" that's as compelling to hear as it is to
      watch. Just when you think Irving can't possibly get any more
      frenzied, he dons a hockey mask and starts using himself as a drum.

      Having seen this documentary about him (it's called "Armor of God," I
      can tell you that it's pretty intense stuff. He has a website as well:

      http://www.silbermedia.com/clangquartet/

      Worth checking out.

      Tim Conklin
      Columbia, SC

      PS Yeah, Irwin, the same Tim Conklin to whom you sent a copy of the
      Langley CD last year. Sorry I never wrote that article, but the paper
      laid me off. Great timing, too -- four days before the WTC attacks.
      Thanks for the CD anyway, enjoyed it.
    • bobby allison
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 23, 2002
        theres this other christian maniac named Scrawny
        Scream. hes from Bakersfield, California. he runs
        around screaming on stage with a broom, a basket on
        his head and a floaty around his waist. he still
        performs all the time. in fact im gonna be seeing him
        again this tuesday and on Oct. 24. at one of his shows
        he was making a bunch of noise and eating dog food. i
        never considered it outsider, but its pretty
        interesting. i was trying to book him once. if any of
        you guys would want to book him i got his email
        address......

        robertraymond83@...

        just thought id let ya know that there are still some
        christian maniacs out there.

        http://sbc.yahoo.com