Awards

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 21, 2009
      Rookie of the Year - Pitcher
      Armando Galarraga - San Diego  28 starts, 3.56 ERA, 13-7

      Armando just flat out had a solid season with lots of starts.  Not too many other rookies were given serious consideration.  Kuo pitched 76 innings in releif with a 1.66 ERA and 29 saves was given the strongest consideration.

      Rookie of the Year - Batter
      Joey Votto - Kentucky .259 BA, 27 hr, 102 rbi, 69 r

      Joey had a really really good season.  I had expect Longoria to be the man in this category, but Votto's number were just too much better.  Joey was still a rookie under MLB rules by having only 84 mlb at bats (under 130 at bats qualify as a rookie).

      Fireman of the Year
      Joakim Soria - Roseville 37 saves, converting 92.5 % of the opportunities

      Soria and Joe Nathan were very very close in this category.  Nathan actually had 2 more saves, but 1 more blown save.  Soria stuck around and finished 7 games more than Nathan which also help the cause for Soria.

      Cy Young
      Roy Halladay - San Diego 25-7, 2.36 ERA

      Halladay was a pretty solid pick in this category.  We had the most wins, lowest ERA, lowest HR frequency, most innings, most quality starts, most complete games...a bunch of stuff like that.  Ervin Stantana posted some interesting  numbers as well, but couldn't compete with Halladay.

      MVP
      Albert Pujols - Aberdeen .325 BA, .420 OBA, .647 SLG, 54 doubles, 39 HRs, 106 runs, 124 RBIs

      I actually delayed the release of these awards for several days due to this category to feel comfortable with the decision.  Manny Ramirez and Albert Pujols where very close in a number of hitting categories.  I ended up considering a slight advantage for Manny on hitting.  The deciding factor came to fielding.  Manny played 65 games in the outfield and had 121 chances and committed 11 errors!  Albert was nearly flawless at 1B and committed only 1 error.  Albert was runner up in the Gold Glove at 1B, while Manny won the lead-glove-with-a-big-hole-in-it award.  Manny shoulda stuck to DH'ing all year.  He might have actually won the MVP award if he had :)
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 21, 2009
        League   Player    AVG    G    AB    R    H    2B   3b  HR   RBI   SO  BB  SB  CS  E  IBB
        OVCL     Pujols    .353   148  552  106  195  57    0    48   128   73    86    1     0   2    32
        Outlaws  Pujols    .325   142  530  106  172  54    0    39   124   69    87    0     0   1    12
        MLB       Pujols    .357   148  524  100  187  44    0    37   124   54   104   7     3   6

        I would say that Pujols in both the OVCL and Outlaws league played as a MVP.  RBI is somewhat based on the player, but we are always lead to believe it is based on the players before him or the team.  I find it very interesting that the RBI totals were almost identical for all three Pujols's even though they played on different teams along with the run totals.  When you figure Homeruns make up around 40% of your runs and 30% of your RBI's you probably don't need a lot of help from your teammates.  Runs are probably close also, because there are a lot of doubles.  I was surprised to see that the OVCL and Outlaws produced almost identical walks for Pujols.

        I think Pujols was a good selection for the Outlaws for MVP.

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 23, 2009
          That's awesome.

          Great job as always Brian.

          Votto carried my squad a good portion of the season.  Except for the average (which I had expected would have been better) he was Mr. Consistency for the Pioneers in 2009.

          Santana held our pitching staff together, but he was a far drop below Halladay in regards to overall performance.

          Congrats to all the other award winners.  It was a really fun season.

          Daymon.
          Kentucky Skipper.

          To: outlaws_bb@yahoogroups.com