Rotation question

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2008
      Daymon asked a question today on rotations.  I figured it was reasonable to respond to the group so that we are all on the same page, or at least in the same chapter.

      The email is as follows:
      *******************
      I'm trying to work up my pitching rotation for this year.

      Can we utilize a SP more than once during a 5 game series (i.e., the first and fifth game of the series)?

      I couldn't remember what our rule was regarding this.

      My response is:

      We do not have a rule in the constitiution that addresses this for the regular season play.  However, I encourage managers to adopt one of two approaches:

      1) Setup a rotation that is at least a four man rotation (it can be more than 4, but at least 4).  The only time that an opponent would see the same pitcher twice in a series then would be for those intra-division 5-games series.

      2) Setup your rotation seperately for each series using at least a four man rotation.  Again the only time that an opponent would see the same pitcher twice in a series is in an intra-division 5-game series.  If you adopt this second approach, you should set your rotation for every game during the approaching month. For example if we are playing 26-games in a given month, then you should have a 26-man rotation setup in league manager.  There can be some variations on this, but thats the general idea.

      Option 2 could result in pitchers pitching on short rest according to the calendar, but since we are a non-AIM league and the series are not actually being played consecutively by the calendar, then in my opinion, its no big deal.  Techincal, option 2 is the way we use to do it when Dave have the rotation setup on the website.

      If you are comfortable with the rotations in league manager there are a bunch of cool variations that you can do.  But the 2 options above are the simplest.

      Let me know if there are any questions.