Re: [outlaws_bb] Rule change idea?

  • Chauns
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 6, 2006
      Hello everyone !

      First, thanks to Brian for a great job this year !!!

      It's been a busy month and I'm finally able to put some cents into the talk
      about proposed changes...

      I read thru the updated/proposed constitution and everything I see looks
      good, but I would propose two things:

      1 - We change Pitching usage for any SP or RP grade 5 or less,
      so that they can pitch unlimited innings and can all be used in Relief
      (this kindof goes with what Scott was saying)
      2 - With the Stadium ratings changing from season to season, I propose
      that we take the 5 year average for each and make them the default. This
      way everyone would know what they were locking in to for the next 2 yr
      stretch (and make the FE files easier to deploy).

      Finally, I plan on updating the Web-site Rosters this weekend, and will
      be working on new logos for the Blaze, Blue Sox, Gunslingers, Oxen,
      and Warthogs. For some reason I can't track down the last C-File (with
      the final league standings and stats) and I would like to update the final
      info on the site, so anyone that has it please e-mail it to me !

      Welcome back Bill !!

      Thanks everyone !

      Dave

      Brian Lebeck <bslebeck@...> wrote:
      Scott,

      Thanks for putting your thoughts on this topic out
      there.  Our biggest issue with overuse is certainly
      with relievers, and it is non-AIM related.

      I think I'd like to run some sims on some of your
      ideas, so see how they work.  Maybe I can get to that
      this coming week.

      Other ideas on this topic are welcome as well.

      --- Scott Drone-Silvers <dsilvers@...>
      wrote:

      > I am new, and I don't want to go making a lot of
      > waves. But I have noticed
      > that pitcher use/abuse, especially for relievers, is
      > a MAJOR issue for the
      > league. I'd like to discuss an idea I have for that.
      >

      > I think that the problem boils down to the fact that
      > we do not use AIM, but
      > we all use micromanagers - many of which function
      > correctly only when AIM is
      > used. I am not advocating AIM - but AIM helps
      > control pitcher usage by
      > utilizing fatigue. In AIM, a guy simply can't go out
      > there and throw 2-3
      > innings of relief day after day on the road, because
      > AIM will fatigue them
      > to the point of unusability. Since we don't use AIM,
      > the fatigue doesn't
      > come into play, and so guys get overused by the
      > micromanager.
      >

      > There is a rule that currently prevents teams from
      > using starters as
      > relievers if they did not actually appear in relief
      > during the previous
      > season. I would propose that we reconsider this
      > rule, allowing each team to
      > use selected starting pitchers as relievers (just a
      > limited number, maybe
      > 2-3 over the course of a season). Given the number
      > of pitchers that many of
      > us stockpile who never see the light of day as a
      > starter, I think that we
      > could probably profitably use some of them in
      > relief. Some thought would
      > have to go into adjusting the players (giving them a
      > relief grade, adjusting
      > some of their ratings to permit them to function as
      > a reliever). And we
      > could eliminate their starts, so that the dual use
      > issue would not come up.
      >

      > Think of how many games you have been in where you
      > were getting blown out,
      > your pitcher has been downgraded to a 1 or 2, and
      > your relievers are running
      > short of availability. If you could bring in a
      > designated "long man" to eat
      > a 4-5 innings, I can't see how that would a
      > particularly bad thing.
      >

      > What do you guys think?
      >

      > Scott Drone-Silvers
      >
      >  <mailto:dsilvers@...>
      > dsilvers@...

      http://mail.yahoo.com

      Fantasy baseballFantasy baseball draftsFantasy baseball game
      Fantasy baseball leaguesFantasy baseball projectionsFantasy baseball site

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 6, 2006
        Dave,

        The final c-file is in the Files section of the
        groupsite. It is the c-out10e file.

        Concerning the 5 year averages, I was wondering if you
        still had the 5 year average spreadsheet that we were
        looking at. A couple of things to be addressed if we
        go 5 years averages is, would we consider that a 5
        year sliding average, so that in 2007, we will have
        different averages that in 2006? Or for ease should
        we implement it such that we take the 5 year in 2006
        for use in 2006 and 2007, then recalculate the
        averages in 2008 when we renew our stadiums?

        Also, I was wondering if anyone else is using Park
        Effects in another league. If we update to a 5 year
        average me may have a potential impact since we updage
        the stadium ini files. However, I doubt if this is
        the case.

        Does anyone use Park Effects in another league?

        Brian

        Just $16.99/mo. or less.
        dsl.yahoo.com
      • Chauns
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 6, 2006
          Brian,

          I was thinking we take the 5 yr avg and then lock that in for both
          2006 & 2007, then we can re-adjust for the next two years in 2008,
          and so on.

          This is the only league that I'm in, don't know about everyone else,
          although I have heard of other people downloading stadium files
          (and Micro-Managers) from our site since it's free and we have
          so many (no biggie to me)...

          --- Chauns <chauns@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > as
          > > a reliever). And we
          > > could eliminate their starts, so that the dual use
          > > issue would not come up.
          > >

          > > Think of how many games you have been in where you
          > > were getting blown out,
          > > your pitcher has been downgraded to a 1 or 2, and
          > > your relievers are running
          > > short of availability. If you could bring in a
          > > designated "long man" to eat
          > > a 4-5 innings, I can't see how that would a
          > > particularly bad thing.
          > >

          > > What do you guys think?
          > >

          > > Scott Drone-Silvers
          > >
          > >  <mailto:dsilvers@...>
          > > dsilvers@...

          > protection around
          > http://mail.yahoo.com

          >         Fantasy baseball   Fantasy baseball drafts
          > Fantasy baseball game     Fantasy baseball leagues
          > Fantasy baseball projections   Fantasy baseball site

          Just $16.99/mo. or less.
          dsl.yahoo.com

        • Steve Heller
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 6, 2006
            I suggest we move all files (micromanagers, stadiums, etc..) from our website to the Yahoo Group. Then make the Yahoo Group private and only allow people to join once approved by person that owns the group (Brian). Brian could also designate a second person to be an admin of the group.

            Steve

            --- Chauns <chauns@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > as
            > > a reliever). And we
            > > could eliminate their starts, so that the dual use
            > > issue would not come up.
            > >

            > > Think of how many games you have been in where you
            > > were getting blown out,
            > > your pitcher has been downgraded to a 1 or 2, and
            > > your relievers are running
            > > short of availability. If you could bring in a
            > > designated "long man" to eat
            > > a 4-5 innings, I can't see how that would a
            > > particularly bad thing.
            > >

            > > What do you guys think?
            > >

            > > Scott Drone-Silvers
            > >
            > >  <mailto:dsilvers@...>
            > > dsilvers@...

            > protection around
            > http://mail.yahoo.com

            >         Fantasy baseball   Fantasy baseball drafts
            > Fantasy baseball game     Fantasy baseball leagues
            > Fantasy baseball projections   Fantasy baseball site

            Just $16.99/mo. or less.
            dsl.yahoo.com

          • Chauns
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 6, 2006
              How much file space do we have available in the Yahoo group ?

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 6, 2006

                Steve and all,

                As I created the list, I am the list owner. I don’t do anything without Brian’s permission anyway. The list is private, in the sense that anyone who wants to join it must be invited to do so  - or approved in advance if they ask for membership - by either Brian or myself.

                As to the MM files, I know that I have used them to get micromanagers and info on them in past. It is one of the few sites that has information about the micromanagers openly available. I don’t know how many other people have used the site in this way – has anyone heard complaints, etc. about the arrangement? Are there issues with file storage fees? Yahoo gives us a certain amount free, then we have to buy more.

                Scott Drone-Silvers

                dsilvers@...

                I suggest we move all files (micromanagers, stadiums, etc..) from our website to the Yahoo Group. Then make the Yahoo Group private and only allow people to join once approved by person that owns the group (Brian). Brian could also designate a second person to be an admin of the group.

                Steve

              • Scott Drone-Silvers
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 6, 2006

                  I just checked. Yahoo gives us 20MB free. It looks like that is our limit – if we run short, we either have to delete files or move them to non-Yahoo space…

                  Scott Drone-Silvers

                  dsilvers@...

                  How much file space do we have available in the Yahoo group ?

                • slappyh@fuse.net
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 6, 2006
                    -
                    > I just checked. Yahoo gives us 20MB free. It looks like that is our limit -
                    > if we run short, we either have to delete files or move them to non-Yahoo
                    > space.

                    That should be more than enough I think. Forgot you created the group Scott, thanks for doing it. I think it's really helped us out a lot and it's only been a few months!

                    Steve
                  • Chauns
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 6, 2006
                      Sorry guys...

                      We're using almost double that just for Micro Manager and
                      Stadium files (with the latter possibly changing this year due
                      to new leases)...

                      We have plenty of room on the Web server right now...

                      Dave

                      -

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 7, 2006
                        Ok guys,

                        The Web Rosters have all been updated, as well as most of the
                        Archives...I will continue updating this weekend...

                        First, my sincere congradulations to Jerry Winarski (Avalanche)
                        and Elliot Sandle (Knights) who each reached the 1000 Career
                        Wins plateau in 2005 !!!

                        Finally, here are roster errors found (not on or error on the disk):

                        - There is a (*) version of Jeff Conine on the Blaze (1B)
                        (Conine played and is also there as a OF as he should be)

                        - The Blaze should have RP Mike Gonzalez (drafted last year)

                        - The Bombers should have SP Cha Seung Baek (drafted in '05)

                        - The Blue Sox should have RP Damaso Marte, not 3B Any Marte

                        Thanks everyone !

                        Dave
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 8, 2006

                          Dave, thanks for the congrats!  1000+ winds and 1000+ losses a unique club, but for real it has been a blast!

                          Elliot

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 8, 2006
                            Dave,

                            Again, thanks for all the work on the website, and the
                            roster clarifications. It's a great website. Its
                            pretty cool to the history & records available to see.

                            I also add my congrats to Jerry and Elliot as well.

                            Brian

                            --- Chauns <chauns@...> wrote:

                            > Ok guys,
                            >
                            > The Web Rosters have all been updated, as well as
                            > most of the
                            > Archives...I will continue updating this
                            > weekend...
                            >
                            > First, my sincere congradulations to Jerry
                            > Winarski (Avalanche)
                            > and Elliot Sandle (Knights) who each reached the
                            > 1000 Career
                            > Wins plateau in 2005 !!!
                            >
                            > Finally, here are roster errors found (not on or
                            > error on the disk):
                            >
                            > - There is a (*) version of Jeff Conine on the
                            > Blaze (1B)
                            > (Conine played and is also there as a OF as he
                            > should be)
                            >
                            > - The Blaze should have RP Mike Gonzalez (drafted
                            > last year)
                            >
                            > - The Bombers should have SP Cha Seung Baek
                            > (drafted in '05)
                            >
                            > - The Blue Sox should have RP Damaso Marte, not 3B
                            > Any Marte
                            >
                            > Thanks everyone !
                            >
                            > Dave

                            Just $16.99/mo. or less.