Some thoughts about the Charlestown - Chapter 2

  • rwestad
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2008
      I was quite relieved to hear that the Charlestown will be staying put
      in some form. While I would prefer only the Charlestown on the site,
      I would suggest some type of mixed-use development with the
      Charlestown as the focal point. Hopefully the building's other
      residents will be something other than hair or nail salons . . . and
      West Seattle will be offerered something a little more unique. That
      said, what I don't want to see is a development that takes over the
      entire space and eliminates most parking. My view is that the
      Charlestown is not so much a place to eat, but a community resource--
      a gathering place for friends, families, and also senior citizens.
      Many elderly rely on this establishment as a main source for their
      meals. It is affordable, and it is the type of cuisine most prefer.
      It is about the only place I take my mother because the menu suits
      her more "traditional" tastes, and she is able to walk in under her
      own power (she is handicapped). Because it serves so many seniors,
      there needs to be close, above-ground parking for short and easy
      access into the establishment. (Underground parking can be difficult
      and confusing for senior drivers.) If above-ground parking is
      eliminated, I believe it will erode a large portion of the
      Charlestown's customer base. Also, I hope the menu will continue to
      cater to more traditional tastes, as there seems to be few options
      left in West Seattle for when you just want a simple burger or steak
      dinner. That said, I would also like to see a little more adventurous
      main menu for less-traditional diners with a greater emphasis on
      fresh, local ingredients.