Coughs/Bret Gand Is Dead/36 in DC tonight!

  • Scott Verrastro
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2006
      TONIGHT!

      Clavius Productions presents:

      Wednesday, July 5
      The Red and the Black
      http://www.redandblackbar.com
      $7, 21+
      doors at 8:30, show at 9:30

      The Coughs (Chicago no-wave noise-rock on Load Records)
      Bret Gand Is Dead (experimental absurdist rock from Chicago)
      36 (Sam Lohman of Acid Mothers Temple, Nik Turner, Radon Ensemble, Nimrod, and Cash Slave Clique)

      The Coughs
      http://loadrecords.com/bands/coughs.html
      http://www.myspace.com/coughsbitch

      Coughs are a clamouring six-piece wrecking crew with two drummers, a sax/keyboardist, a bass player, a guitarist/bassist, and an unhinged lead singer. This motley crue comes at you with a hotwired milkshake of punked-out red bull rock. Easily putting on the most memorable live shows of the 2000s, lead singer Anya Davidson is a frothing wraith of unquestionable furious intent. Backed by a double-drummer band using discarded 55-gallon oil barrels, Coughs brings the tribal whoomp to a blurry sandwich of fuzzed-out organ/sax riffery and guitar slice. This is the new ROCK, be here at GROUND ZERO!

      Their previous record on Load Records Fright Makes Right, raised the bar on new panic-stricken punk stylings, and this record moves the limbo stick to impossible heights with its hi-fi/no-fi recording, making it so hard for you to fight the feeling. If you are ready to join the other footsoldiers in the battle for quality energy-driven noisy punk, look for the dotted line that says "Coughs" and sign right the fuck up. You have been drafted, now DO IT!

      "A Chicago-based sextet that thrives on vintage no-wave pound ‘n’ shriek, perhaps the memorization of certain key texts in the God Is My Co-Pilot and ’80s hardcore canons, and enough art phag hijinks to compel any self-respecting indie dork to make room for them between his or her Elvis Costello and Court and Spark albums. Metal is banged on, guitars are abused, a saxophone howls away Half Japanese style, and surely the warranty on those keyboards is violated. But like Pussy Galore, there’s a primal swing here in all the junk-pound, a groove to howl to." (Joe Gross)

      Bret Gand Is Dead
      http://www.myspace.com/bretgandisdead

      Gloomy Chicago band who supposedly lost half of the original members (including Bret Gand himself) in a horrific zeppelin crash. Unique weirdness. One song will be a zombie cabaret piece with the next sounding something like Neutral Milk Hotel on Halloween through the psychological lens of marijuana-induced paranoia.

      36

      I began doing solo shows as 36 over a decade ago while living in Osaka. I have releases on
      www.soundsfromthepocket.com
      www.radoncollective.org
      www.japan-overseas.com
      exile osaka zine compilation
      and my greatest release ever on AEN put out by
      Gary Stevens. totally unfindable.
      36 has played in Japan, Australia, U.S.A., Canada,
      Portugal and France.
      As a drummer I'm on vinyl or disc with...
      The N.K.B.s, The Baltek (d.c.)
      Sheer Terror, Dust Devils (n.y.c.)
      Nimrod, Arijigoku (Osaka)
      Steve Mackay & The Radon Ensemble
      and I've toured with Acid Mothers Temple and Nik Turner (of Hawkwind)

      Do you Yahoo!?