two shows in the next week and funtime odd record mixedbag

  • Ian Nagoski
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2 3:14 PM
      The True Vine
      1123 W 36th St Baltimore MD 21211
      410-235-4500

      TWO SHOWS THIS COMING WEEK!
      Tuesday July 6 EARLY SHOW 7PM
      acoustic songsters presented by Drew of Big Huge
      Micah Blue Smaldone
      Walker Teret (of Walker and Jay, etc)

      Thursday July 8 9PM
      Talibam (Albany drone-grind)
      The Lum and Abner of Morrocco (Baltimore's all-glissando, invented
      instrument problem...)

      MORE JULY SHOWS:

      Friday July 16 9PM
      electronic music by
      Anna Troisi (Milan)
      Dan Breen (Baltimore)
      John Berndt (Baltimore

      Wednesday July 21 9PM
      low-decible soundart by
      Sean Meehan (drums)
      Dave Daniell (guitar)
      Tim Barnes (drums)
      Jeph Jerman (sticks and stones and stuff)

      Thursday July 22 9PM
      louding fucking noise from New England by
      Mr. Brinkman
      Purient
      Pleasurehorse
      Sinking Body

      FUNTIME NEW IN-STOCK MIXED BAG OF LPs::
      Piero Umiliani - Mah Na Mah Na "The Orginal Mix" (Easy Beat) 12" EP
      new $11
      Exotic Dances From India, Burma, Japan, Argentina, Spain, Rumania,
      Cimea, Panama, Equatorial Africa, Armenia (Folkways) 1950 original
      in textured blue cover w/ notes M/M $20
      Jandek - Follow Your Footsteps (Corwood Ind.) 1986 VG cover w/
      square-shaped tear from removed label. EX record. $15
      Howlin' Wolf - Chess Blues Master Series (Chess) double LP of all the
      hits w/ great, ridiculous cover painting and including "Wang Dang
      Doodle," "300 lbs of Joy," "Spoonfull," "Evil" and many more M/M
      cutout $15
      Fred Neil - Other Side of This Life (Capitol) later pressing of his
      last record, a mixed bag of live stuff and outtakes including duos
      with Les McCann and Gram Parsons, M/M $15
      Sitara Devi - Kathak (HMV, Dum Dum India) tabla w/ dancer, two side-
      long cuts M/M $20
      Ed Askew - Little Eyes (De Stijl) beautifully packaged, new 1st
      issue of 1971 recordings from Connecticut folker whose only previous
      release was a 1968 disc on ESP $15
      Lightning Hopkins - Sings the Blues (Crown) circa 1964 solo
      recordings w/ hubba-hubba cover of a lady givin you they eye while
      holding on to her wig VG+ (long bottom seam split) / VG+ (moderately
      play-worn on lousy vinyl) $12
      Betty Davis - They Say I'm Different (MPC Music) new copy of 2002
      reissue, featuring the insanely great "He was a Big Freak," rumored
      to be about her ex-husband Miles. M/M $25
      American Sea Songs and Shanties: Folk Music From the United States
      From the Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) 1938-46
      field recordings by Alan Lomax, John Lomax, Sam Eskin and Robertson
      Cowell M/M- $12
      Deep Voices: The Second Whale Record (Capitol) M/M $10
      unbelievable follow-up to the best-selling first LP of whale
      songs... lots of snoring and moaning and yawlping from the depths...

      AND SOME UNCOMMON, BRAND-NEW CDS
      Peter Green - The End of the Game (Reprise, UK) $15
      Robert Wyatt - The End of an Ear (Columbia, UK) $15
      Ornette Coleman - The Unprecedented Music of... (Nippon Crown,
      Japan) $25 1968 live recording from Rome with Ed Blackwell, David
      Izenzon and Charlie Haden (yes, two basses), featuring the 13-
      minute "Buddah Blues," the only recording we know of featuring
      Ornette on shenai and a very nice ten-minute version of "Lonely
      Woman." sound quality is amazing.
      Taj Mahal Travellers - August 1974 (P-Vine) incredible double CD of
      psychedelic Japanese improv that's drying up... highly, highly
      recommended. $40
      Betty Davis - s/t (MPC) $18
      Tony Joe White - Black and White (Warner Bros, UK) $15 arguably
      his best, featuring Polk Salad Annie, Scratch My Back, Whompt Out on
      You, heart-busting readings of Little Green Apples and Wichita
      Lineman and many more, w/ two bonus tracks
      Magma - Attahk (Charly, UK) $16
      Daniel Higgs - Magic Alphabet (Northern Liberties) $10 solo jews
      harp improvisations by the painter, tatooist, poet and Lungfish
      singer.
      v/a - Copulatin' Blues (Jass) $15 22 tracks from the 20s and 30s,
      including Please Warm my Weiner, Press My Button (Ring My Bell), If I
      Can't Sell It I'll Keep Sittin On It (Before I Give It Away), My
      Daddy Rocks Me with One Steady Roll (by Frankie Half-Pint Jaxson, one
      of recorded history's greatest female impersonators) and many more
      v/a - Sissyman Blues: 25 Authentic Straight and Gay Blues and Jazz
      Vocals (Jass) $15
      v/a - Street Walkin' Blues (Mojo) $15 includes "Shave 'em Dry"
      etc...
      Raymond Scott - Powerhouse, Vol One (Stash) $16 We have just two,
      flawless new copies of this deleted and, according to rumor,
      incinerated 1991 compilation of 16" transription discs of the Raymond
      Scott 4tet . Produced and with notes by Irwin Chusid and Will
      Friedman.

      and next time you're in the shop, check out the many fine releases on
      the Shinkoyo http://shinkoyo.com/ and Mellon Expander labels. Very
      juicy stuff....

      blowin through the jasmine of your mind,
      Ian