Red Room SAT: Koch/Wright + Grip/Blake-Plock/Dierker/Breen/Kissack/Hammer/Bell/Leigh/Neidhardt

  • Red Room
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 2009
      Saturday, November 14th
      doors 8:30 / show 9:00

      This Saturday at the Red Room, we challenge you, the audience, to just try and physically fit into our venue. You see, we have a lot of artists on the bill this weekend, and a lot of them are playing at the same time. This might be setting a record of some sorts here, and you could be witness!

      The 10-Tet:
      SHELLY BLAKE-PLOCK (guitar, voice) +
      JOEL GRIP (double bass) +
      JOHN DIERKER (reeds) +
      DAN BREEN (bass) +
      LYLE KISSACK (drums) +
      ROSE HAMMER (reeds) +
      NATHAN BELL (banjo) +
      SAVANNA LEIGH (voice) +
      PAUL NEIDHARDT (percussion +

      Former Baltimoron and High Zero alum Joel Grip is in town, and that was reason enough for Shelly Blake-Plock to string together this enormous group. We kept their description accordingly small. The 10-tet: "a ridiculously great ad hoc free music ten-piece ensemble based around thumping sounds and sleep walking."

      The Duo:
      JACK WRIGHT (reeds) + HANS KOCH (reeds)

      Jack Wright, alto and soprano saxophone, and Hans Koch, bass clarinet, first met in Chicago in 2001 and recorded a duo that whetted their appetites to do it again. Alas, this has not been possible until now on this small tour, with a little assistance from the Swiss government. And they will continue their playing in March in Switzerland.

      Hans Koch was born in 1948 and lives in Biel Switzerland. He quit his career as a recognized classical clarinetist to become one of the most innovative improvising reed-players in Europe. He has been working with everyone from Cecil Taylor to Fred Frith since the eighties. As a composer he has shaped the sound of Koch-Sch�tz-Studer since the beginning as well as working for radio-plays and film. Since the nineties he has been working with electronics as an extension of the saxes/clarinets as well as with sampling/sequencing/Laptop. As a reed-player he is always working on his very own vocabulary and sound, which makes him a very unique voice on the actual scene. He will be playing bass clarinet on this tour.

      Sexagenarian but noticeably immature, Jack Wright is renowned for his impersonations of ducks, pigs, and other blowhards. He will be attempting to play the saxophone exclusively with his feet and anus. He learned that technique whilst employed at (subsequently fired from) the Phila. zoo to entertain monkeys and encourage them to copulate. Before that, he was a boring Vegas lounge act, garnering the most applause when he pretended to hang himself with his sax strap, and one time it was almost not a joke. Occasionally he remembers the proper use of the instrument and its ideological purpose of propping up the universe. He lives in Easton but comes to Philly in order to fall off ladders at his Spring Garden House.

      You don't want to miss this!

      at The Red Room
      c/o. Normals Books and Records
      425 E. 31st Street

      The Red Room: expanding the definition of expanding the definition.

      To unsubscribe from The Red Room Mailing List visit: