35West Kingdom A&S

  • baccus_kaloethes
    May 25, 2010
      Greetings All,

      At West Kingdom A&S, June 11-13, 2010, I'll be teaching 2 brewing classes. The first class, from 9-10:30 will be a beginning brewing class where the basics of brewing beer and ale, hardware needs and steps to create a beer or ale from dry malt extract, will be covered. I'll also be brewing a malt extract only Koelsch style beer, to show how easy it is to brew.

      The second class is Intermediate Brewing, and will be from 10:45 - 12:15 where ysing the information learned in Beginning Brewing, we will cover the influence of hops and malt varieties in the creation of specific beers or ales. I'll be brewing a all grain Russian Imperial Stout during this class. I'll also have samples of various hops and malted grains. I plan on having a 'taste the grain' session, where you can chew on and taste the various grains so you'll have some knowledge of what flavors they'll impart to the beer. I'll also have several hop samples so you can smell them and be able to discern the difference aromas of the beer.

      There will be sampling of several types of beers, with their receipes, so you can match the grain/hop with the beer.

      Future classes, probably at Purg, will have a 'Nose for News' session where we'll cover off smells in beers and what they mean. The BCJP has a sample kit of 'off smells', that we'll have at the class so you can match the smell with the notes.

      Looking forward to seeing as many of you as can make it, out to A&S.

      Baccus
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic