568Symposium on Head and Neck Robotic Surgery...

  • MURAD BANA
    Nov 26, 2013

    From: Jeremy Richmon <jrichmo7@...>
    To: "Johns_Hopkins_HEAD_and_NECK_ROBOTIC_SYMOPOSIUM@..." <Johns_Hopkins_HEAD_and_NECK_ROBOTIC_SYMOPOSIUM@...>

    I’d appreciate if you can forward the following announcement to your respective society:

    cid:image003.jpg@01CEE1E8.01A55DC0

    The field of robotics in head and neck surgery has grown tremendously within the last five years and represents the successful translation of robotic technology in the care of the head and neck cancer patient.  This has greatly facilitated the development of minimally invasive and aesthetic approaches for the treatment of head and neck cancers and thyroid disorders reducing the morbidity of past treatment approaches.   As the body of evidence supporting transoral approaches to the head and neck grows, so too does the knowledge base of adjuvant treatment including radiation-oncology, medical-oncology, and speech-language pathology.  It is this multi-disciplinary approach to patient care that our course will focus on.  We will go beyond the mere nuts and bolts of transoral surgery, but focus on the rapidly advancing intersection between patient care and technology.  As a joint effort between the Johns Hopkins Department of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery and the Whiting School of Engineering, this will be the first course of its kind to bring together an international, renowned group of clinicians and world-class engineers in the field of robotics and haptic research who are advancing the field of head and neck robotic and transoral surgery.

    The goal of this course is to provide the attendee with up-to-date knowledge in state-of-the-art robotic head and neck surgery, transoral surgery, adjuvant treatment, and emerging robotic technologies. This course will also identify current clinical challenges and foster discussions as to how current and future clinical trials in collaboration with technologic advancements may further facilitate advancements in patient care.

    Please take a look at our exciting Program below.  Note that transportation will be provided to NYC for those planning on attending the IFHNOS/AHNS Congress afterwards.

    Jeremy Richmon, MD
    Assistant Professor, Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery
    Director, Robotic Head and Neck Surgery

    Harry Quon, MD, MS
    Associate Professor of Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiation Sciences, Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery and Oncology
    Co-Director, Multidisciplinary Head and Neck Program

    Russell Taylor, PhD
    Professor, Department of Computer Science
    Whiting School of Engineering Johns Hopkins University
    Director, Engineering Research Center for Computer-Integrated Surgical Systems and Technology (CISST ERC)

    Fees
    Physicians:
    Before Dec 31, 2013: $450.00
    Early Registration (Until April 1, 2014): $500.00
    Late Registration (After April 1, 2014): $550.00

    Allied Practitioners (SLPs and nurses,):
    Before Dec 31, 2013: $350.00
    Early Registration (Until April 1, 2014): $400.00
    Late Registration (After April 1, 2014): $450.00

    Engineers:
    Before Dec 31, 2013: $250.00
    Early Registration (Until April 1, 2014): $300.00
    Late Registration (After April 1, 2014): $350.00
    Single day: $175

    Residents and Students:
    Early Registration (Until April 1, 2014): $100.00
    Late Registration (After April 1, 2014): $120.00

    Transportation to NYC:  TBD

    Guest Faculty

    Eun Chang Choi, MD, PhD
    Professor of Otorhinolaryngology
    Yonsei University College of Medicine
    South Korea

    David Goldenberg, MD, FACS
    Director of Head and Neck Surgery
    Professor of Surgery and Oncology
    Penn State Hershey Medical Center
    Hershey, Pennsylvania

    Bruce Haughey, MBChB, MS
    Kimbrough Professor of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
    Director, Head and Neck Cancer Center
    Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis
    St. Louis, Missouri

    Michael Hinni, MD
    Professor of Otolaryngology
    Mayo Clinic
    Phoenix, Arizona

    Emad Kandil, MD, FACS
    Edward G. Schlieder Educational Foundation Chair in Surgical Oncology
    Chief of Endocrine Surgery Section
    Associate Professor of Surgery
    Department of Surgery
    Tulane University School of Medicine
    Atlanta, Georgia

    Yoon Woo Kho, MD, PhD
    Assistant Professor of Otorhinolaryngology
    Yonsei University College of Medicine
    South Korea

    Katherine Kuchenbecker, PhD
    Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics (MEAM) and
    Computer and Information Science (CIS)
    University of Pennsylvania
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

    Eric Moore, MD
    Professor of Otolaryngology
    Mayo Clinic
    Rochester, Minnesota

    Nassir Navab, PhD
    Chair for Computer Aided Medical Procedures & Augmented reality
    Munich, Germany

    Akihiro Shiotani, MD
    National Defense Medical College
    Japan

    Jonathan Sorger, PhD
    Director of Medical Research
    Intuitive Surgical, Inc.
    Sunnyvale, California

    David Terris, MD
    Porubsky Distinguished Professor and Chairman
    Department of Otolaryngology
    Georgia Health University
    Augusta, Georgia

    Raymond Tsang, FRCSEd (ORL)
    Clinical Assistant Professor of Surgery
    Queen Mary Hospital, University of Hong Kong
    Hong Kong

    and

    Engineers from Medrobotics Corp and Intuitive Surgical, Inc

    Johns Hopkins Faculty

    Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
    David Eisele, MD
    Sara Pai, MD, PhD
    Carole Fakhry, MD
    Patrick Ha, MD
    Joseph Califano, MD
    Christine Gourin, MD
    Jeremy Richmon, MD
    Wayne Koch, MD
    Young Kim, MD, PhD
    Ralph Tufano, MD
    Kofi Boahene, MD
    Nishant Agrawal, MD

    Radiology
    Nafi Aygun, MD

    Radiation Oncology
    Harry Quon, MD
    Todd McNutt, PhD
    Anna Kiess, MD, PhD

    Pathology
    William Westra, MD

    Medical Oncology
    Christine Chung, MD
    Arlene Forastiere, MD

    Speech Language Pathology
    Heather Starmer, MA CCC-SLP

    Engineering
    Russel Taylor, PhD
    Wen Liu, BE
    Jeffrey Sewierdsen, PhD

    Program

    Thursday, July 24, 2014
    7:30
    -
    7:55

    Breakfast and Registration
    Session 1: Transoral Robotic Surgery
    Moderator: Jeremy Richmon, MD
    7:55
    8:00

    Welcome and Introduction
    David Eisele, MD
    8:00
    8:15

    Anatomic Pearls for the Transoral Surgeon, How To Avoid Hemorrhage
    David Goldenberg, MD
    8:15
    8:30

    What Are the Pre-operative Imaging Pearls For the Oropharynx Cancer Patient?
    Nafi Aygun, MD
    8:30
    8:45

    What Is Different About the Tumor Biology For HPV-associated Oropharynx Cancers?
    Sarah Pai, MD
    8:45
    9:00

    Which Patients Should Be Treated With Transoral Surgery (TOS)
    Wayne Koch, MD
    9:00
    9:15

    Question and Answer Session
    9:15
    9:30

    Refreshment Break
    9:30
    9:45

    What Are the Indications For Transoral Videolaryngoscopic Surgery (TOVS)?
    Akihiro Shiotani , MD
    9:45
    10:00

    Which TOS Technique Should I Use?  What Technical Challenges Are Better Suited For TORS or TLM?
    Patrick Ha, MD
    10:00
    10:15

    What Oncologic Outcomes Can We Expect When We Treat Patients With TOS? Do We Know Enough To Use TOS as a Standard of Care?
    Joseph Califano, MD
    10:15
    10:30

    What Functional Impairments Can We Expect When We Treat Patients With TOS? Do We Know The Functional Limits of a TOS Resection?
    Christine Gourin, MD
    10:30
    10:45

    Is It Worth It?  Cost Analysis of TORS.
    Eric Moore, MD
    10:45
    11:00

    Question and Answer Session
    11:00
    12:00

    Expert Panel – Mock M&M: What Can We Learn from Difficult Cases Past and Present?
    Moderator: Jeremy Richmon, MD
    12:00
    1:00

    Lunch

    Section 2: Post-TORS Adjuvant Treatment
    Moderator: Harry Quon, MD
    1:00
    1:15

    Fundamentals of Post-operative Radiotherapy:  How Can We Reduce Current Treatment Toxicities Following TORS and in Which Patients?
    Harry Quon, MD
    1:15
    1:30

    What Happens to the Surgical Specimen After it is Removed? Pathologic Analysis of Margins and Extracapsular Extension
    William Westra, MD
    1:30
    1:45

    Surgical Margins: What Do They Mean and How Does This Influence Adjuvant Therapy Decisions?
    Michael Hinni, MD
    1:45
    2:00

    Extracapsular Extension: What is the Role of Concurrent Chemotherapy in the HPV-associated Oropharyngeal Cancer Patient
    Bruce Haughey , MBChB, MS
    2:00
    2:15

    Question and Answer Session
    2:15
    2:30

    What is the Current and Future Role of Systemic Therapy in the TOS-treated Patient?
    Christine Chung, MD
    2:30
    2:45

    The Impact of Late Treatment Complications in the Head and Neck Cancer Patient: Lessons for the Management of the TOS Treated Patient
    Arlene Forastiere, MD
    2:45
    3:00

    What Impact Does TORS Have on Swallow Function?
    Heather Starmer , MA, CCC-SLP
    3:00
    3:15

    Question and Answer Session
    3:15
    3:30

    Refreshment Break
    3:30
    5:00

    Expert Panel – Adjuvant Therapy After TORS
    Moderators:  Young Kim, MD, PhD and Harry Quon, MD
    Panelists: Harry Quon, MD; Christine Chung, MD;  Arlene Forastiere, MD;
    Heather Starmer, MA, CCC-SLP;  Eric Moore, MD; Michael Hinni, MD;
    Bruce Haughey, MBChB, MS; Akihiro Shiotani, MD

    Friday, July 25, 2014
    7:30
    8:00

    Continental Breakfast
    Session 3: Robotic Neck Surgery
    Moderator: Nishant Agrawal, MD
    8:00
    8:15

    Cervical vs Extracervical Approaches to the Thyroid: What are the Technical Challenges?
    Ralph Tufano, MD
    8:15
    8:30

    What are the Techniques and Technical Challenges of Transaxillary Robotic Thyroidectomy?
    Emad Kandal, MD
    8:30
    8:45

    What are the Techniques and Technical Challenges Retro-auricular Robotic Thyroidectomy?
    David Terris, MD
    8:45
    9:00

    Transoral Robotic Thyroidectomy: Seriously?!
    Jeremy Richmon, MD