Wildfires in the Area ?

  • Michael Bland
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2011
      I was watching the news this morning (11/3), and they showed some wildfires in the Salem, MO area. I checked the map and it looked to be kind of close to Bunker, MO and the start area.

      Wondering what the fire status is down there and if that may present any challenges to the race this weekend ? I sure hope not - weather looks great and hoping something like a wildfire won't affect things.

      See you all this weekend.

      Mike
    • Brad
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2011
        Because I have nothing better to do whilst road tripping in from Colorado, I checked around and spoke with the state conservation district and local US Forest Service Office. Here's what I got:

        -Initial fire report is linked here: www.fs.usda.gov/mtnf
        -Only two fires were still reported active last night - 500 & 350 acres respectively. One has no active flamage - just smoldering, and the other is controlled
        -After receiving rain last night, the area is in a much less burnable condition, and in fact the Salem office (20mi from the start) is receiving snow at this moment (no accumulation expected, though) so they expect no spreading to occur.
        -Neither fire infringes on the sections of Ozark Trail we'll be using, though I did not ask about crew access roads.
        -Status updates on the fires will be posted at the link above as they become available.

        Hope this helps!
        Brad