RE: [ot100] GPS

  • Earl Blewett
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 13 6:02 AM

      Dear Runners,

      I use an Garmin eTrex Vista cx (3-4 years old) and when the batteries run low all I do is put two more AA batteries in it. This is a handheld GPS unit with a color screen. You can load topo maps and have the race course and aid stations on it. I carry it in a pouch on the shoulder of my hydration vest or in a pouch on my belt. It is like a large cell phone. I just captured the Lake McMurtry Trail Run course on Saturday. This unit doesn’t do well through trees with leaves. It couldn’t read satellites at the Berryman Trail (half of which is Ozark Trail) in late May. A friend has a new Garmin eTrex Vista that is a lot more sensitive.

      For navigation the watches are useless.  I guess they can tell you where north is.

      Happy trails,

      Earl

      Earl L. Blewett Ph.D.

      Assoc. Professor of Microbiology

      Dept of Biochemistry and Microbiology

      Oklahoma State University - Center for Health Sciences

      1111 West 17th Street

      Tulsa, OK 74107

      micro@...

      Office (918) 561-8405

      FAX   (918) 561-8414

      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 13 9:18 AM
        Very good point - just didn't want to be still looking for me next June!!!!!!!!!! Maybe I could check for a "Rent a Thoroughbred" in town!!!! I am very excited about this race - praying to stay injury free until then and hoping 32 hours is enough, plus making cutoff times. My first one - just need to get it behind me to get rid of the nerves. I hope I'm training right - my goal is 100 miles by Sept 15 in 28 hours. Reasonable????

        Jerry

        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 13 10:45 AM

          It is definitely reasonable, just stick to your training and listen to your body. If you are feeling anything unusual take a day or two to let the body heal. I learned a long time ago from one of the race directors (Stuart) that back to back long weekend runs are a big help.
          Twenty five or thirty miles on saturday followed by another fifteen to twenty miles on sunday is big.  Running that second day gives you the mental toughness to learn that you can run on those tired legs. A lot of getting a 100 mile run done is mental. Telling yourself to keep going when you feel like absolute crap. I always try to think of what David Horton says, "free the mind, enjoy the adventure".  Good luck with the training.

          Lee.

          To: ot100@yahoogroups.com
          From: jrrykerr@...
          Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 09:18:24 -0700
          Subject: Re: [ot100] Re: GPS

          Very good point - just didn't want to be still looking for me next June!!!!!!!! !! Maybe I could check for a "Rent a Thoroughbred" in town!!!! I am very excited about this race - praying to stay injury free until then and hoping 32 hours is enough, plus making cutoff times. My first one - just need to get it behind me to get rid of the nerves. I hope I'm training right - my goal is 100 miles by Sept 15 in 28 hours. Reasonable?? ??

          Jerry

          The Ozark Trail is only open to foot, horse and bicycle traffic. And the horse and bicycle traffic is limited to certain sections. NO motorized vehicles of any kind are permitted on the trail. You will enjoy the course, trust me. Why ruin the beauty of exploring the trail on race day, enjoy your adventure of seeing a new trail for the first time.

          Hope to see you in November,

          Lee.

          --- In ot100@yahoogroups. com, Jerry Kerr <jrrykerr@.. .> wrote:

          > Good question on the battery life. How about a Polar rs200sd - I just got it new - will the atteries last longer on that? It's not GPS but uses a foot pod instead - I bought it so it would take up where my Garmin left off or vice versa. Also I'm planning on being there a few days early - think there is a way I could take an ATV and see the course in daylight???
          >
          > Jerry

          Rediscover Hotmail®: Now available on your iPhone or BlackBerry Check it out.
        • wschloman
          Message 4 of 18 , May 11, 2009
            --- In ot100@yahoogroups.com, "Earl Blewett" <micro@...> wrote:
            >> Dear Runners,
            >

            > I use an Garmin eTrex Vista cx (3-4 years old) and when the batteries run
            > low all I do is put two more AA batteries in it. This is a handheld GPS unit
            > with a color screen. You can load topo maps and have the race course and aid
            > stations on it. I carry it in a pouch on the shoulder of my hydration vest
            > or in a pouch on my belt. It is like a large cell phone. I just captured the
            > Lake McMurtry Trail Run course on Saturday. This unit doesn't do well
            > through trees with leaves. It couldn't read satellites at the Berryman Trail
            > (half of which is Ozark Trail) in late May. A friend has a new Garmin eTrex
            > Vista that is a lot more sensitive.
            >

            > For navigation the watches are useless. I guess they can tell you where
            > north is.
            >

            > Happy trails,
            >

            > Earl

            >Earl I have a question about your gps will it give your pace as in min. per mile sorry to to have so many questions - till I see you on the OT

            Wes S.

            > _____

          • John W. Taylor
            Message 5 of 18 , May 12, 2009
              I am thinking about getting a GPS for something next winter, and I found your information helpful.

              Thanks Earl!

              Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

              --
              "There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing."
              - Ben Zander, according to aspiring ultrarunner Sophia Lewis

              My Cell phone number is 612-578-6024. If you want to send a message to me immediately- send the email to my phone at 6125786024@...
            • Earl Blewett
              Message 6 of 18 , May 12, 2009

                Dear Runners,

                <<… I have a question about your gps will it give your pace as in min. per mile …>>

                It does. I don’t really look at that much until the run is over. I think it split it into moving time and stationary time.

                I have it more for the mapping capabilities.

                I’ll be running on  12 – 13 miles of the Ozark Trail at the Berryman 50 miler this weekend. Hope it’s not too wet.

              • karleking@sbcglobal.net
                Message 7 of 18 , May 12, 2009
                  Do you think you will need a gps for the ot 100????

                  From: "Earl Blewett"
                  Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 08:34:59 -0500
                  To: <ot100@yahoogroups.com>

                  Dear Runners,

                  ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ----

                  Earl L. Blewett Ph.D.

                  Assoc. Professor of Microbiology

                  Dept of Biochemistry and Microbiology

                  Oklahoma State University - Center for Health Sciences

                  1111 West 17th Street

                  Tulsa, OK 74107

                  micro@earlblewett. net

                  Office (918) 561-8405

                  FAX   (918) 561-8414

                  > I use an Garmin eTrex Vista cx (3-4 years old) and when the batteries run
                  > low all I do is put two more AA batteries in it. This is a handheld GPS unit
                  > with a color screen. You can load topo maps and have the race course and aid
                  > stations on it. I carry it in a pouch on the shoulder of my hydration vest
                  > or in a pouch on my belt. It is like a large cell phone. I just captured the
                  > Lake McMurtry Trail Run course on Saturday. This unit doesn't do well
                  > through trees with leaves. It couldn't read satellites at the Berryman Trail
                  > (half of which is Ozark Trail) in late May. A friend has a new Garmin eTrex
                  > Vista that is a lot more sensitive.
                  >

                  > For navigation the watches are useless. I guess they can tell you where
                  > north is.
                  >

                  > Happy trails,
                  >

                  > Earl

                  >Earl I have a question about your gps will it give your pace as in min. per mile sorry to to have so many questions - till I see you on the OT

                  Wes S.

                  > _____

                • LEE HESS
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 12, 2009

                    I have been on almost all the course for the OT100 and I can tell you that you will
                    not need your GPS for the race. At least not to find your way, it is very well marked and will be marked again for the race.

                    Good luck,

                    Lee.

                    To: ot100@yahoogroups.com
                    From: karleking@...
                    Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 13:54:26 +0000

                    Do you think you will need a gps for the ot 100????

                    > I use an Garmin eTrex Vista cx (3-4 years old) and when the batteries run
                    > low all I do is put two more AA batteries in it. This is a handheld GPS unit
                    > with a color screen. You can load topo maps and have the race course and aid
                    > stations on it. I carry it in a pouch on the shoulder of my hydration vest
                    > or in a pouch on my belt. It is like a large cell phone. I just captured the
                    > Lake McMurtry Trail Run course on Saturday. This unit doesn't do well
                    > through trees with leaves. It couldn't read satellites at the Berryman Trail
                    > (half of which is Ozark Trail) in late May. A friend has a new Garmin eTrex
                    > Vista that is a lot more sensitive.
                    >

                    > For navigation the watches are useless. I guess they can tell you where
                    > north is.
                    >

                    > Happy trails,
                    >

                    > Earl

                    >Earl I have a question about your gps will it give your pace as in min. per mile sorry to to have so many questions - till I see you on the OT

                    Wes S.

                    > _____

                    Hotmail® goes with you. Get it on your BlackBerry or iPhone.
                  • karleking@sbcglobal.net
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 12, 2009
                      Thanks that is what I was thinking. See everyone this weekend

                      From: karleking@sbcglobal .net
                      Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 13:54:26 +0000

                      Do you think you will need a gps for the ot 100????

                      Message 10 of 18 , May 12, 2009

                        Dear RunnerFolk,

                        << Do you think you will need a gps for the ot 100????>>

                        You don’t usually need a GPS at any race. I like it because it is an electronic security blanket. It can help you get back on course if you get lost. Of course, I’ve carried a map and a compass at most trail races. Back in the depths of time (1996) I was described as a map freak in Ultrarunner. My 15 seconds of fame.

                        The first time I used my GPS was at the beta-test of the Cactus Rose Course in 2006. This is a 25 mile look through the Texas hill country near Bandera , TX . Joe Prusiatis invited a bunch of “friends” down to test the course he wanted to use for his new 100 miler. I’m not sure I’d invite people I like, to run at 95 F over rocky hills (it was Labor Day weekend). Anyway, this area is spiderwebbed with trails and only the turns of the course were marked. One of Joe’s people emailed me a gpx file containing all the trails and the official course. I only did two laps but got off course three times. The GPS paid for itself that day by getting me back to the trail.

                        I make my own course topo maps for most races and now I make a GPS file using online resources (and other people). I already have a trace of most of the Ozark Trail so once the route is posted I’ll make a race course track that I can load onto the GPS. I’ll also put waymarkers for Aid Stations. I often run a whole without ever looking at the GPS but it is there if needed. In the longer races, I tend to get it out and see how far away the aid station is, when I am tired, cold or sick.

                        At the Mother Road 100 II, last year, I only carried the GPS for 6 miles. It was an old alignment of Route 66 that is dirt/gravel and crew vehicles weren’t allowed on it.  It was about 70 miles in, dark, 26 F and I was mostly blind due to scratching of my corneas (from contacts) and edema. I missed a turn and could see enough (with the GPS held to my face) to make my way back to where I should have made a 90 degree left hand turn. Only ran a mile or so extra. From mile 55 or so, my crew (wife Jen and a friend Sue) stopped at every turn in the race and made sure I made it. They actually got out of the vehicle and turned me. I was running following the white line on the edge of the road. If this had been a trail race I’d have had to drop.

                        The newer GPS units are a lot more sensitive. Mine would be useless running the Berryman Trail this Saturday; it won’t read through the trees and leaves. However, I’ll take it because it’s great to put on the dash of the car when you get lost and re-orient yourself. I have the race start on it. I’ll be camping at the start this weekend but I’ve spent some tense minutes in the early morning dark, trying to drive to various race starts.

                        I’ll post topo maps and the GPS information on my web site later on, when the course is known.

                        Happy trails,

                        Earl

                        Earl L. Blewett Ph.D.

                        Assoc. Professor of Microbiology

                        Dept of Biochemistry and Microbiology

                        Oklahoma State University - Center for Health Sciences

                        1111 West 17th Street

                        Tulsa, OK 74107

                        micro@...

                        Office (918) 561-8405

                        FAX   (918) 561-8414

                        Do you think you will need a gps for the ot 100????

                        (3-4 years old) and when the batteries run
                        > low all I do is put two more AA batteries in it. This is a handheld GPS
                        unit
                        > with a color screen. You can load topo maps and have the race course and
                        aid
                        > stations on it. I carry it in a pouch on the shoulder of my hydration vest
                        > or in a pouch on my belt. It is like a large cell phone. I just captured
                        the
                        > Lake McMurtry Trail Run course on Saturday. This unit doesn't do well
                        > through trees with leaves. It couldn't read satellites at the Berryman
                        Trail
                        > (half of which is Ozark Trail) in late May. A friend has a new Garmin
                        eTrex
                        > Vista that is a lot more
                        sensitive.

                        > For navigation the watches are useless. I guess they can tell you where
                        > north is.
                        >

                        > Happy trails,
                        >

                        > Earl

                        >Earl I have a question about your gps will it give your pace as in min. per
                        mile sorry to to have so many questions - till I see you on the OT

                        Wes S.

                        > _____

                      • Jerry Kerr
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 12, 2009
                          Thank you Lee, my biggest fear has been getting lost and never being found again!!!!! This is my first 100 mile race. Have you heard anything yet about the cut off points - I am praying I can make them. Everyday I wake up and I repeat - "no injuries", "no injuries" I really want to finish this race.

                          Jerry

                          From: karleking@sbcglobal .net
                          Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 13:54:26 +0000

                          Do you think you will need a gps for the ot 100????

                          > I use an Garmin eTrex Vista cx (3-4 years old) and when the batteries run
                          > low all I do is put two more AA batteries in it. This is a handheld GPS unit
                          > with a color screen. You can load topo maps and have the race course and aid
                          > stations on it. I carry it in a pouch on the shoulder of my hydration vest
                          > or in a pouch on my belt. It is like a large cell phone. I just captured the
                          > Lake McMurtry Trail Run course on Saturday. This unit doesn't do well
                          > through trees with leaves. It couldn't read satellites at the Berryman Trail
                          > (half of which is Ozark Trail) in late May. A friend has a new Garmin eTrex
                          > Vista that is a lot more sensitive.
                          >

                          > For navigation the watches are useless. I guess they can tell you where
                          > north is.
                          >

                          > Happy trails,
                          >

                          > Earl

                          >Earl I have a question about your gps will it give your pace as in min. per mile sorry to to have so many questions - till I see you on the OT

                          Wes S.

                          > _____

                          Hotmail® goes with you. Get it on your BlackBerry or iPhone.

                        • laura range
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 12, 2009
                            Hi Jerry,
                            This will be my first 100 miler too.  And the chant of "no injuries!" is a daily routine.  I'm most worried about being lost or encountering some type of hungry wild life.  Keep the faith.  See you this November!!
                            laura

                            From: karleking@sbcglobal .net
                            Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 13:54:26 +0000

                            Do you think you will need a gps for the ot 100????

                            Message 13 of 18 , May 12, 2009

                              Jerry,

                              With a little care on your part I would say that it will be hard to get lost. There are places where you will have to pay attention. That being said this is one of the most well marked trails that I have ever been on and I know that Stuart and Paul are very aware of the importance of a well marked trail. They have plans to mark this trail to make sure that everyone will have a safe race and stay on course.

                              They are also working very hard on getting all of the aid station info in place which will include cut off times, drop bag locations, crew access points, pacer points, and directions for crews to all of those points. I am sure that all of this info along with maps will be posted to the web site very soon. Check back to the site in a regular basis for all that info.

                              Hang in there Jerry with your training. All I can say is to enjoy the complete adventure and that includes the training leading up to the actual race. So free the mind and have fun starting tomorrow. Sounds like you are finding out that it is as much mental training as it is physical and so is the race.

                              Good luck and see you in november,

                              Lee.

                              To: ot100@yahoogroups.com
                              From: jrrykerr@...
                              Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 14:54:40 -0700

                              From: karleking@sbcglobal .net
                              Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 13:54:26 +0000

                              Do you think you will need a gps for the ot 100????