Unmasked: the veiled white Muslim convert whose great grandmother was a suffragette

  • Dietmar Muehlboeck
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2007
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=425442&in_page_id=1770

      Unmasked: the veiled white Muslim convert whose great grandmother was a
      suffragette
      By NEIL SEARS Last updated at 23:00pm on 29th December 2006

      She was presented by Channel 4 as an authentic - but anonymous - voice
      of moderate British Islam.

      And on Christmas Day the veiled woman described only as "Khadijah" was
      given a national televison platform for propagating her views in an
      "alternative Christmas message" designed to rival the Queen's.

      She told viewers Jack Straw was wrong to criticise the veil, claiming
      concealing facial features "liberated" women.

      But the Daily Mail can now unveil "Khadijah" - and reveal that she is in
      fact Elaine Atkinson, an English convert to Islam who travels the
      country working for a radical muslim group trying to take political
      control of Pakistan.

      And despite her presentation by Channel 4 as a moderate, in the past the
      38-year-old has described non-believers as "rats in cages going round on
      a treadmill" of consumerism, and declares she would like to see
      Britain's pubs converted into mosques.

      Since going through an islamic marriage ceremony with a British-born
      muslim of Pakistani origin, Miss Atkinson - a fromer radical feminist -
      has become known as Khadijah Iqbal.

      But her rejection of her English roots caused a rift with her family,
      which has a long history of military and police service.

      Her great-grandmother was a suffragette, and her brother is currently
      serving as a soldier in Afghanistan, she claimed.

      Atkinson, a mother of one, was approached by Channel 4 to give the
      controversial alternative Christmas message after the original veiled
      woman chosen, Khadija Ravat, a 33-year-old islamic teacher, withdrew
      because of negative publicity.

      Channel 4 said it would be veiling her true identity, along with her
      face, to enable viewers to focus on her words instead of her personality.

      But the story of her rejection of her traditional English background,
      and her determination to embrace radical Islam, is a fascinating one.

      She was born in the army barracks town of Tidworth in Wiltshire in 1968,
      to father Brian Atkinson, then a crane driver at a military depot, and
      mother Gillian.

      At the time the family was living in police accommodation, because her
      paternal grandfather Francis was a police constable in the war department.

      Atkinson led a normal English childhood, and after being schooled
      locally without any contact with muslims, left the countryside for
      London and became a social worker.

      But in 1996 she suddenly became interested in the koran, and started
      attending the Regent's Park Mosque in the centre of the capital.

      Atkinson said: "Much to the shock and horror of my family and friends I
      embraced Islam.

      "My friends, family and colleagues were very keen to express their
      negative views.

      "I had always been known as a radical Feminist and had dutifully
      continued the family tradition of following in the footsteps of my
      great-grandmother, who was a suffragette.

      "Much to my greatgrandmother 's horror (if she were still here to
      express it) I was soon to discover that Feminism and Islam went together
      like oil and water.

      "I realised Feminism promoted the very thing it protested against:
      oppression of women."

      Atkinson went on, in an essay published on the Internet for fellow
      muslims: "When I see large numbers of non-believers I feel very sad for
      them as they remind me of rats or gerbils in cages going round and round
      on a treadmill, believing that they are fulfilling their sole purpose in
      life and reaching their true destiny (which is Argos).

      "If only they could uncover their eyes and see the damage they cause
      themselves and to their children.

      "I feel certain that if they were to have a tiny glimpse of what Islam
      could give them there would be Mosques on every corner instead of pubs."

      Atkinson now lives with her husband Dr Zahid Iqbal, 38, who qualified as
      a doctor at Southampton in 1992, in a £350,000 three-bed house in
      Barking, east London. She abandoned her English name four years.

      She works for the radical Minhaj ul Qur'an group from its UK base at a
      mosque in nearby Forest Gate - running a "sisters' group" for other
      female muslims, travelling the country making converts, and broadcasting
      on Asian local radio stations.

      Minhaj ul Qur'an was established in Pakistan, but operates in 92
      countries, and aims to convert the whole world in Islam.

      In Pakistan the religious group has a political wing - the Pakistan
      People Movement - which boasts it is "actively working to establish an
      Islamic state in Pakistan" to ensure "muslims have an international
      voice and political power to relieve the ongoing oppression and
      subjugation of muslims around the world".

      Atkinson - pictured in a rare unveiled moment when returning home from a
      shopping trip - last night refused to elaborate on her views.

      Contrary to her claims of being moderate, at an Islamic conference in
      Sheffield this year Atkinson told fellow muslims it was morally wrong to
      listen to any sort of music, or to watch soap operas. She urged the
      conference to stop watching any television at all.

      In a statement issued through Channel 4, Atkinson said last night:
      "Minhaj-ul-Quran is a spiritual movement which promotes peace and
      tolerance of other faiths. It is against all forms of extremism and
      radicalism whether religious or otherwise."

      Atkinson's brother Howard Atkinson, 46, is a soldier. He was last night
      unvailable for comment - as were their parents, who have moved to Spain.

      Atkinson last night insisted that she did enjoy listening to islamic music.

      +++
    • Bruce Tefft
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2007
        IN a few days, we'll have sworn in the countries first Moslem
        Congressman...and he says that he'll use a Quran.

        (But inspite of what the Quran says: he'll have to 'swear or affirm' the
        followng oath of office.

        "

        The oath of office required by the sixth article of the Constitution of the
        United States, and as provided by section 2 of the act of May 13, 1884 (23
        Stat. 22), to be administered to Members, Resident Commissioner, and
        Delegates of the House of Representatives, the text of which is carried in 5
        U.S.C. 3331:

        I, Loyal Citizen of the Republic, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will
        support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all
        enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to
        the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation
        or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the
        duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God."

        --R

        http://www.dailymai