Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Philipppines: 4 wounded in twin explosions=

Expand Messages
  • Bruce Tefft
    4 wounded in twin explosions in Southern RP By Al Jacinto Sun-Star, Zamboana July 31, 2005 FOUR persons were wounded in two separate explosions Saturday in the
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2005
      4 wounded in twin explosions in Southern RP
      By Al Jacinto

      Sun-Star, Zamboana

      July 31, 2005

      FOUR persons were wounded in two separate explosions Saturday in the
      southern Philippines, police and military said.

      A homemade bomb exploded Saturday in Cotabato City in the southern
      Philippines, wounding a 14-year old girl, police said.

      Police said the bomb, planted near a light pole, went off around 11.05 a.m.
      inside the compound of the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM). "We
      are still investigating the blast. One 14-year old student was slightly
      wounded in the explosion that occurred inside the ARMM compound," local
      police chief Inspector Joey Ampong said.

      Four hours later, a second bomb rift through a section of Koronadal City,
      which left three persons wounded. The bomb, placed in a cardboard box,
      exploded on a motorcab parked infront of the city's main market, the
      military said.

      No group claimed responsibility for the two attacks, and authorities would
      not say if the explosions were connected or not.

      Police in Cotabato said they recovered parts of a shattered cellular phone,
      raising suspicion that it was used to trigger the explosion. "They're using
      cell phones as initiators to set off explosive devices. This could be part
      of a bigger plot to sow terror. We are in heightened alert now," Ampong said
      yesterday, July 30.

      The police could not say who were behind the blasts or the motive in the
      attacks. "It could be a rehearsal to test whether cell phones are effective
      tools to trigger explosion," Ampong said.

      Abu Sayyaf terrorists tied to al-Qaeda network had also previously used cell
      phones to detonate bombs in Zamboanga City. Instead of the phone ringing, it
      sends the power to an explosive charge and detonated it.

      In the Bali bombings in October 2002 that killed 202 people, Jemaah
      Islamiyah terrorists triggered a bomb in a mini-bus outside the Sari Club
      with a cell-phone detonator. A car bomb detonated by mobile phone killed 12
      people at Jakarta's Marriott hotel in August 2003.



      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.