Myers: Americans' resolve critical in 'test of wills' vs. terror

  • gwen831
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1 12:00 AM
      http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtribune/breaking_8.html

      Myers: Americans' resolve critical in 'test of wills' vs. terror
      Chairman of Joint Chiefs takes part in 'Rolling Thunder' tribute

      By Jim Garamone, American Forces Press Service
      Monday, May 31, 2004

      The stakes are high in the global war on terrorism, and if the United
      States doesn't handle it correctly, "I don't think we're going to like
      the world we'll live in in five or 10 years," Air Force Gen. Richard
      B. Myers said today.

      The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff told CNN that not everyone
      thought World War 2 was a noble effort. "There were a lot of critics
      of that particular conflict," Myers said. "And if we think about it
      for a minute, if we had not done what was done in World War 2, then
      we'd be living in a much different world today."

      Making the right choices today will be crucial in maintaining
      democracy and the freedoms we now enjoy in the future, Myers said.

      Myers, who also spoke to ABC's "Good Morning America," NBC's "Today,",
      CBS's "Early Show" and "The Fox Morning Report," said the terrorist
      adversary doesn't need armies and planes and ships to threaten the
      United States. "They can (threaten us) just through terrorism and
      creating fear – where we lose confidence in our leaders, where we lose
      confidence the rule of law," he said on "Good Morning America." "They
      go after the very heart of the freedoms that we all in America and
      around the world enjoy."

      Myers said the free nations are in a test of wills against terrorists
      and their sympathizers in Iraq, Afghanistan and around the world. "The
      resolve of the American people, the will of the American people will
      be very important in determining the outcome," he said.

      Myers said it's important to remind the American people what is at
      stake in the global war on terrorism. He said that when he met World
      War 2 veterans at the May 29 dedication of the memorial on the
      National Mall, they encouraged him.

      "The World War 2 vets … they were terrific," he said. "I shook a lot
      of hands, looked in a lot of eyes (and) they invariably said, 'Stay
      the course on this war against terrorists and extremism.' I think they
      have a pretty good understanding of how serious the current conflict is."

      He said the global war on terrorism is a noble cause. "Like World War
      2, this generation is fighting this conflict against extremism," he
      said. "The stakes are so high, that they will change the world like
      our World War 2 generation did."

      Myers said the United States and other nations with forces in Iraq are
      working to define the relationship after the return of sovereignty
      June 30. "The important thing to remember is that when sovereignty
      passes, Iraq will not be capable of providing for its own security,"
      he said on "Today."

      The Iraqi security forces will not have the training or equipment to
      adequately protect their country. "They're going to need and they will
      want the help of the coalition forces," Myers said. "And how we
      organize that is being worked on right now. But I can guarantee you
      Iraq will go to sovereignty. They will be making the decisions that
      affect their future."

      Myers said that in his talks with service members around the world, he
      tells them there has never been a more important time to serve in the
      military. "This is a time that the U.S. armed forces need to stand up
      again and help defend the things that we really hold dear, and that's
      our American way of life, our freedom, our democracy," he said.

      The Joint Chiefs chairman, a Vietnam veteran, participated in the
      Rolling Thunder tribute on Sunday. Tens of thousands of motorcyclists
      gather each year in tribute to fallen comrades and to highlight the
      prisoner-of-war and missing-in-action issues. Myers said participating
      in Rolling Thunder is indescribable.

      "As you turn the corner onto Memorial Bridge, and there are hundreds,
      thousands of people lining the streets, and they're all cheering,
      they're all waving American flags, and there's a chill that goes up
      your spine that is so, so important (for the Vietnam vets)," he said.
      "I think it's a very appropriate event, and very poignant for many
      people – including myself, as a matter of fact."