Re: [osint] REAL numbers in Iraq

  • Gerry Blackwood
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5 1:54 AM
      You know this game playing of KIHA and NONKHIA just kills me!
      Like the 58,000 + names on the Wall were all KIA! And they are
      not. I am a Vietnam Vet and yes I never have appreciated the
      Pentagons number games. These people are dead because they were
      placed in Harms Way. I tell this to all who do this with the
      numbers. Go to the closest war memorial and shout it out, you all
      did not die in battle! See if that makes anyone feel any better.

      BTW, for those interesed, www.iraqbodycount.org these numebrs
      are pretty accurate.............

      On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 20:10:26 +0000, Steve ~ Touchdown-News wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > Deaths since May 1, 2003
      > AS OF: Feb. 4, 2004, 10:00 a.m. EST
      > Hostile: 253
      > Non-Hostile: 137
      > Total Killed: 390
      >
      > AS OF: Feb. 4, 2004, 10:00 a.m. EST
      > Wounded in Action 2,596
      > Non-hostile wounded 403
      >
      > Quote from the article: "many of the non-hostile deaths ought
      not
      > to be
      > counted as specific to Iraq, although, of course, a portion of
      > them
      > are" is completely inaccurate: all of those 155 deaths (160 as
      of

      > today) were either in Iraq or due to circumstances brought about
      > by
      > participation in OIF. Of course there were other deaths in the
      > five
      > military services caused by accident or illness during the same

      > time-scale, but they are not represented in the figure that the
      > author
      > quotes. Nor are totals for OEF in Afghanistan included.
      >
      > What the author also fails to point out is that "non-hostile"
      > deaths
      > include things like EOD (explosive ordnance) teams working on
      > weapons
      > caches that detonate, tanks and armored personnel carriers
      > sliding off
      > roads not designed to carry them into canals and their crews
      > drowning,
      > deaths in helicopter accidents which are occurring at a much
      > higher
      > rate than back in CONUS due to the amount of missions flown and
      > adverse
      > environmental conditions.
      >
      > I sincerely doubt that a family would find much solace in the
      > fact that
      > a father, brother, son, daughter or sister died in Iraq through

      > negligence or by pure accident rather than due to hostile
      action.

      > All of the above aside, figures of "500 deaths" that I have seen
      > were
      > in relation to COALITION losses and not solely American: but
      then
      > I'm
      > in London so perhaps the press here takes a less isolationist
      > view of
      > the situation.
      >
      > Best regards
      >

      > Steve Rush ~ Touchdown-News
      >

      > On Wednesday, Feb 4, 2004, at 18:11 Europe/London, CodeTen7
      wrote:

      > > February 02, 2004, 9:59 a.m.
      > > 343
      > > Real numbers in Iraq.
      > >

      > > The news media, which constantly accuse the Bush
      > administration
      > > of
      > > exaggerating the threat in Iraq, are constantly exaggerating
      > the
      > > number of
      > > U.S. combat deaths there. I first pointed this out last
      August.
> [...]
      > began on
      > > March
      > > 16, 2003, the official number of U.S. combat deaths listed by
      > the
      > > Defense
      > > Department was 343. Another 155 had died from non-hostile
      > causes,
      > > including
      > > 100 in accidents and others from illness. Since non-hostile
      > causes are
      > > responsible for army deaths in peacetime as well as wartime,
      in
      > bases
      > > at
      > > home as well as in war zones, many of the non-hostile deaths
      > ought not
      > > to be
      > > counted as specific to Iraq, although, of course, a portion of
      > them
      > > are.
      > >
      > > These 343 (not 500) combat deaths, furthermore, need to
      > be set in
      > > context. During 2003, the number of homicides in Chicago was
      > 599, in
      > > New
      > > York City 596, in Los Angeles 505, in Detroit 361, in
      > Philadelphia
      > > 347, in
      > > Baltimore 271, in Houston 276, and in Washington 247. That
      > makes 3,002
      > > murders in only eight cities.
      > >
      > > The least the media could do is print the number of
      > combat
      > > deaths in
      > > Iraq in two columns. The first would show the number of days
      > since the
      > > war
      > > began (as of January 15, 305). The second column might show
      the
      > number
      > > of
      > > combat deaths as of the same date (343).
      > >
      > > Since January 15, the death toll has climbed in one of
      > its upward
      > > spurts, as roadside bombings by more sophisticated agencies
      > become more
      > > deadly. The countdown toward the turnover of the levers of
      > government
      > > Iraqi leaders is now less than 150 days away. We can expect
      the
      > bitter
      > > despair of the Sunni diehards and the foreign jihadists to
      > grow. They
      > > will
      > > try to stop history in its tracks. They will become ever more
      > violent.
      > > They
      > > have been drawn like moths to bang against the brightness of
      > our
      > > troops in
      > > the dark. Now, more than ever, we need a steady hand at the
      > American
      > > helm.
      > > Now is not the time for recriminations and retreat.
      > >
      > > The war in Iraq has been one of the noblest and
      brightest
> [...]

      > > neighbors, and the instability he promoted in the region, will
      > be no
      > > more.
      > >
      > > Those who died in that cause have given an unforgettable
      > gift to
      > > the
      > > Iraqi people, which will be remembered with gratitude for
      > generations
      > > come. Their extraordinary achievements have burnished the
      glory
      > of our
      > > nation, and their fame will long outlive the early opposition
      > of those
      > > compromised by their past dealings with Saddam. The rich
      > rewards raked
      > > in
      > > from Saddam's network of international bribery are only now
      > being
      > > revealed.
      > > The predictions of those who marched against the war - about
      > massive
      > > streams
      > > of refugees, hunger, the unleashing of weapons of mass
      > destruction,
      > > immense
      > > domestic destruction, huge uprisings in "the Arab street,"
      etc.
      > - have
      > > been
      > > proved false.
      > >
      > > The international terrorist groups led by al Qaeda have
      > now been
      > > deprived of their bases in Afghanistan, their potential source
      > of
      > > chemical
      > > and biological agents in Iraq, their support from Libya,
      their
      > > unrestricted
      > > access to Pakistan and Saudi Arabia, and the reliability of
      > their
      > > hitherto
      > > totally safe assistance from Iran and Syria. All this our
      > honored dead
      > > have
      > > won for us. Their families deserve to glory in it for
      > generations.
      > >
      > > "Greater love no man hath," the Good Book tells us,
      "than
      > that
      > > he lay
      > > down his life for his friends." This, too, they have done for
      > their
      > > fellow
      > > citizens. They have saved the cause of liberty from the shame
      > of
      > > appeasing
      > > terror. They have protected their homeland and countrymen.
      > >
      > > One day it will be a great boast for their children: "My
      > father
      > > fought
      > > in Iraqi Freedom. He altered the course of history." And so
      > they will
      > > be
      > > remembered by grandchildren, so long as memory lives.
      > >
      > > - Michael Novak is the winner of the 1994 Templeton
      Prize
      > for
      > > progress
      > > in religion and the George Frederick Jewett Scholar in
      > Religion,
      > > Philosophy,
      > > and Public Policy at the American Enterprise Institute.
      Novak's

      http://www.nationalreview.com/script/printpage.asp?ref=/novak/
      > > novak200402020
      > > 959.asp
      >

      > --------------------------
      > Want to discuss this topic? Head on over to our discussion
      list,
      > discuss-osint@yahoogroups.com.
      >

      > *** FAIR USE NOTICE. This message contains copyrighted material
      > whose use has not been specifically authorized by the copyright
      > owner. OSINT, as a part of The Intelligence Network, is making
      it
      > available without profit to OSINT YahooGroups members who have
      > expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information
      > in their efforts to advance the understanding of intelligence
      and
      > law enforcement organizations, their activities, methods,
      > techniques, human rights, civil liberties, social justice and
      > other intelligence related issues, for non-profit research and
      > educational purposes only. We believe that this constitutes a
      > 'fair use' of the copyrighted material as provided for in
      section
      > 107 of the U.S. Copyright Law. If you wish to use this
      > copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond
      > 'fair use,' you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
      > For more information go to:
      > http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • David Isenberg
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 5 5:29 AM
        Right on Steve; speaking as a vet Novak was UTTERLY pathetic.

        David Isenberg