Abdullah Believes Bin Laden in South Not Tora Bora

  • ds2000
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2001
      From Bay Area.Com,
      http://www.bayarea.com/rc/headlines/docs/1690610l.htm
      -

      Abdullah Believes Bin Laden in South Not Tora Bora

      KABUL (Reuters) - The foreign minister of the Northern Alliance said
      on Saturday he believed Osama bin Laden was on the run in southern
      Afghanistan, not in caves near the eastern city of Jalalabad where
      U.S. forces have been focusing their search.

      ``I believe some of his lieutenants are in Tora Bora, but not bin
      Laden himself,'' Abdullah told a news conference, adding that he
      thought bin Laden was on the move in southern mountains.

      He said the militarily dominant Northern Alliance had sent commanders,
      but no other forces, to the southern province of Kandahar where the
      Taliban are cornered in their last stronghold.

      ``There is no presence of the United Front forces in Kandahar
      (province). We have sent some of our commanders to assist the people
      who are actively cooperating against the Taliban,'' Abdullah said,
      adding that the commanders were from that area.

      U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney said this week that bin Laden was
      probably in the cave-riddled Tora Bora area south of Jalalabad, where
      the Saudi-born militant is reputed to have built a fortified complex
      deep underground.

      Copyright © 2001 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication
      or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar
      means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of
      Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the
      content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.

      --
      Dan S