The World According to Fantasy

  • Beowulf
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2009

      The World According to Fantasy
      Bruce Bialosky
      Monday, November 30, 2009

      The Bush era careened into the Obama era and the world cheered. That is what
      we are told over and over again. The world has become a more welcome place
      for Americans. We have become less belligerent and the world has breathed a
      heavy sigh. That is indisputable, incontrovertible knowledge.

      That was what I was being told at lunch the other day. My companion was not
      some wild-eyed leftist. In the best of times, this gentleman clings to the
      middle of the political spectrum. He presently has serious reservations
      about Obama, and believes that he is destined to be a one-term president.
      Yet when it comes to foreign affairs, somehow Mr. Obama is brightening our
      prospects around the world.

      In a way my friend is correct. President Bush did not pander to public
      opinion in order to enhance his image. If foreign governments acted in a
      manner contrary to our national interest, Bush had relatively cool relations
      with them. Furthermore, whatever plans he may have wanted to pursue upon
      stepping into the Oval Office changed irrevocably on September 11, 2001.

      Yet my friend was sucked into this commonly-accepted mindset. Does that
      mindset have any basis in reality? It depends on your reality. The
      demagogues of the world appear to be happier with Obama, as are the
      intellectual elite in Europe, most of whom shared a particular distaste for
      Bush. But that was only in parts of Europe.

      Certainly Gerhard Schroeder and Jacques Chirac – respectively the former
      leaders of Germany and France – used Bush as a political soccer ball to
      enhance their own political positions. But they have been replaced by Angela
      Merkel in Germany, who enjoyed a warm relationship with Mr. Bush, and
      Nicolas Sarkozy in France, who seems to doubt the intellectual capacity and
      trustworthiness of Obama. Other close allies of President Bush included
      Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi as well as Spanish Prime Minister
      José María Aznar (who was narrowly defeated for re-election after the Madrid
      subway bombing in 2004).

      Was the rift with Old Europe triggered entirely by America? Not according to
      Lord Charles Powell, an advisor to Prime Ministers Thatcher and Major, who
      recently stated that “People like to blame George W. Bush for the trouble in
      the transatlantic relations, but Europeans had their part in it.” Europeans
      didn’t really understand how deeply 9/11 affected the American psyche. While
      they have become used to armies marching back and forth across their
      landscape, the attack on the American homeland was unprecedented, and it is
      likely that any President would have had disagreements with foreign leaders
      because of our reaction in the ensuing decade.

      The elitist perspective of unilateral distaste for Bush completely
      disregards the admiration for him in the former Soviet Bloc countries. In
      Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Slovenia, Belarus,
      Bulgaria, Georgia, Albania and the Baltic States, Bush is viewed as a great
      friend and statesman – while Obama is considered questionable. The
      perception that the entire world disliked Bush denies the reality of a huge
      part of Europe that does not harbor the intellectual elite that interact
      with the American Intelligentsia.

      In 2008, my wife and I vacationed in Eastern Europe. Having the opportunity
      to experience firsthand the hard-earned freedom of the Czech Republic, East
      Germany and Poland enriched our lives. In Warsaw, we spoke with the manager
      of our hotel, asking his thoughts about the geo-political situation that
      confronts Poland. He expressed profound concern about (in his words) “the
      Russian Bear’s intentions.” I assured him that unlike their former allies
      (such as France), we would help defend Poland and protect her from another
      foreign invasion. Little did I know that in less than a year, Obama would
      eviscerate much of Poland’s faith in America.

      My lunch partner pointed to Russia as a place where Obama would do better
      than Bush. Certainly, Bush was mocked for his unsophisticated commentary: “I
      looked the man in the eye. I found him to be very straightforward and
      trustworthy and we had a very good dialogue. I was able to get a sense of
      his soul.” What is often left out is the next line: “He’s a man very
      committed to his country and the best interests of his country.” That is the
      most important portion of the statement.

      Obama has no better chance of working with Russia than Bush did. Russia
      today is as it has been for at least four centuries – expansionist. Frankly,
      I’m not sure why, since their land mass is the largest in the world, but
      they have attempted to overrun and rule their neighbors through various
      forms of government. Whether their leaders were Czars, Communists, or
      whatever you call the current bunch, they have always been the same – thugs
      and expansionists.

      John Lehman, who served as Secretary of the Navy under President Reagan,
      stated that within thirty days of Reagan’s inaugural, the British and
      American Navies swept into Mediterranean waters showing the Soviet Union
      that if they played any games, “We would kick their asses.” When you deal
      with thugs, you have to show them that you will be tougher than they are.

      My friend expressed the commonly-accepted media mantra about what the world
      was like during the Bush Administration, and how it will magically improve
      under Obama. It is not only seriously wrong, but has caused several
      potentially dangerous changes to our foreign policy.

      I have some advice for President Obama. The tough tactics being deployed
      against his perceived domestic political enemies should be redeployed
      overseas. Let me assure you that Russia, China, Iran, North Korea and
      Venezuela are a lot more dangerous than Fox News and the health insurance