Dear Citizen of Gaza, I am the soldier who slept in your home.

  • Beowulf
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2009
      This article can also be read at:
      http://www.aish
      <http://www.aish.com/jewishissues/israeldiary/Dear_Citizen_of_Gaza.asp>
      com/jewishissues/israeldiary/Dear_Citizen_of_Gaza.asp

      Dear Citizen of Gaza
      by Yishai G (reserve soldier)

      I am the soldier who slept in your home.

      Hello,

      While the world watches the ruins in Gaza, you return to your home which
      remains standing. However, I am sure that it is clear to you that someone
      was in your home while you were away.

      I am that someone.

      I spent long hours imagining how you would react when you walked into your
      home. How you would feel when you understood that IDF soldiers had slept
      on your mattresses and used your blankets to keep warm.

      I knew that it would make you angry and sad and that you would feel this
      violation of the most intimate areas of your life by those defined as your
      enemies, with stinging humiliation. I am convinced that you hate me with
      unbridled hatred, and you do not have even the tiniest desire to hear what
      I have to say. At the same time, it is important for me to say the
      following in the hope that there is even the minutest chance that you will
      hear me.

      I spent many days in your home. You and your family's presence was felt in
      every corner. I saw your family portraits on the wall, and I thought of my
      family. I saw your wife's perfume bottles on the bureau, and I thought of
      my wife. I saw your children's toys and their English language
      schoolbooks. I saw your personal computer and how you set up the modem and
      wireless phone next to the screen, just as I do.

      I wanted you to know that despite the immense disorder you found in your
      house that was created during a search for explosives and tunnels (which
      were indeed found in other homes), we did our best to treat your
      possessions with respect. When I moved the computer table, I disconnected
      the cables and lay them down neatly on the floor, as I would do with my
      own computer. I even covered the computer from dust with a piece of cloth.
      I tried to put back the clothes that fell when we moved the closet
      although not the same as you would have done, but at least in such a way
      that nothing would get lost.

      I know that the devastation, the bullet holes in your walls and the
      destruction of those homes near you place my descriptions in a ridiculous
      light. Still, I need you to understand me, us, and hope that you will
      channel your anger and criticism to the right places.

      I decided to write you this letter specifically because I stayed in your
      home.

      I can surmise that you are intelligent and educated and there are those in
      your household that are university students. Your children learn English,
      and you are connected to the Internet. You are not ignorant; you know what
      is going on around you.

      Therefore, I am sure you know that Qassam rockets were launched from your
      neighborhood into Israeli towns and cities.

      How could you see these weekly launches and not think that one day we
      would say "enough"?! Did you ever consider that it is perhaps wrong to
      launch rockets at innocent civilians trying to lead a normal life, much
      like you? How long did you think we would sit back without reacting?

      I can hear you saying "it's not me, it's Hamas". My intuition tells me you
      are not their most avid supporter. If you look closely at the sad reality
      in which your people live, and you do not try to deceive yourself or make
      excuses about "occupation", you must certainly reach the conclusion that
      the Hamas is your real enemy.

      The reality is so simple, even a seven year old can understand: Israel
      withdrew from the Gaza strip, removing military bases and its citizens
      from Gush Katif. Nonetheless, we continued to provide you with
      electricity, water, and goods (and this I know very well as during my
      reserve duty I guarded the border crossings more than once, and witnessed
      hundreds of trucks full of goods entering a blockade-free Gaza every day).

      Despite all this, for reasons that cannot be understood and with a lack of
      any rational logic, Hamas launched missiles on Israeli towns. For three
      years we clenched our teeth and restrained ourselves. In the end, we could
      not take it anymore and entered the Gaza strip, into your neighborhood, in
      order to remove those who want to kill us. A reality that is painful but
      very easy to explain.

      As soon as you agree with me that Hamas is your enemy and because of them,
      your people are miserable, you will also understand that the change must
      come from within. I am acutely aware of the fact that what I say is easier
      to write than to do, but I do not see any other way. You, who are
      connected to the world and concerned about your children's education, must
      lead, together with your friends, a civil uprising against Hamas.

      I swear to you, that if the citizens of Gaza were busy paving roads,
      building schools, opening factories and cultural institutions instead of
      dwelling in self pity, arms smuggling and nurturing a hatred to your
      Israeli neighbors, your homes would not be in ruins right now. If your
      leaders were not corrupt and motivated by hatred, your home would not have
      been harmed. If someone would have stood up and shouted that there is no
      point in launching missiles on innocent civilians, I would not have to
      stand in your kitchen as a soldier.

      You don't have money, you tell me? You have more than you can imagine.

      Even before Hamas took control of Gaza, during the time of Yasser Arafat,
      millions if not billions of dollars donated by the world community to the
      Palestinians was used for purchasing arms or taken directly to your
      leaders bank accounts. Gulf States, the emirates - your brothers, your
      flesh and blood, are some of the richest nations in the world. If there
      was even a small feeling of solidarity between Arab nations, if these
      nations had but the smallest interest in reconstructing the Palestinian
      people - your situation would be very different.

      You must be familiar with Singapore. The land mass there is not much
      larger than the Gaza strip and it is considered to be the second most
      populated country in the world. Yet, Singapore is a successful,
      prospering, and well managed country. Why not the same for you?

      My friend, I would like to call you by name, but I will not do so
      publicly. I want you to know that I am 100% at peace with what my country
      did, what my army did, and what I did. However, I feel your pain. I am
      sorry for the destruction you are finding in your neighborhood at this
      moment. On a personal level, I did what I could to minimize the damage to
      your home as much as possible.

      In my opinion, we have a lot more in common than you might imagine. I am a
      civilian, not a soldier, and in my private life I have nothing to do with
      the military. However, I have an obligation to leave my home, put on a
      uniform, and protect my family every time we are attacked. I have no
      desire to be in your home wearing a uniform again and I would be more than
      happy to sit with you as a guest on your beautiful balcony, drinking sweet
      tea seasoned with the sage growing in your garden.

      The only person who could make that dream a reality is you. Take
      responsibility for yourself, your family, your people, and start to take
      control of your destiny. How? I do not know. Maybe there is something to
      be learned from the Jewish people who rose up from the most destructive
      human tragedy of the 20th century, and instead of sinking into self-pity,
      built a flourishing and prospering country. It is possible, and it is in
      your hands.

      I am ready to be there to provide a shoulder of support and help to you.

      But only you can move the wheels of history.

      Regards,
      Yishai, (Reserve Soldier)

      *The above was a letter that was originally published in the
      Hebrew-language daily newspaper Ma'ariv, and translated into English by
      the Independent Media Review and Analysis <http://www.imra
      <http://www.imra.org.il/> org.il/>
      (IMRA).*