Oshun Ibu Yumu

  • dxfearless
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2003
      Ibu Yumu is the oldest of the Oshuns, she is the richest, most
      elegant, and most beautiful, for she is the one who started the line
      of Oshun's. She is the Oshun that sits in a rocking chair at the
      bottom of the River, behind the waterfall and knits. She is a very
      serious and wise Oshun, she is the Oshun that gave Orunmila the color
      yellow because Orunmila is wisedom and Oshun is knowledge, and
      wisedom without knowledge is useless. She has been through it all and
      knows the human condition very well. She is the Oshun that dresses
      all in white and goes directly to Olofi to report what is happening
      on Earth, and she carries back from Olofi his punishments and/or
      rewards. She shares a very close relationship with Ogun, she takes
      all the tools of Ogun and 105 aldanes in her crown, she hides a
      machete under her skirt and she will use it when neccessary. She is a
      lot like Nana Buruku. She is the Oshun that reads minds and is a
      great espiritita. She shares a close relationship with eggun as well,
      she represents the water that creeps into cemeteries and she works in
      the cemetary with a rake, shovel, and hoe. If she visits a bembe she
      will not stay for too long unless of course it is for her and she is
      very distinctive from other Oshun's when she mounts, and its just
      something that you have to see for yourself. She is very serious and
      almost cut throat to the point but is very sweet but God forbid she
      comes down angery, her laugh will stop you in your tracks and send
      chills through your body, trust me I have seen it first hand. Her
      achole is actually white with gold trimming and if an outfit is made
      for her it is white and gold, of course she will take yellow because
      Oshun is Oshun, the paths are just different stages of an Orisha
      during their life. Her bead colors mark with dark honey,yellow,
      green, coral, and marks of white. She takes a machete, a long honey
      colored horsetail and she sits on a rocking chair. Thats all I can
      think of at the moment, That is my mother and the same Oshun that I
      was born from Oshun Ibu Yumu, Maferefun Iyalorde!!!!!!

      ~Iyawo Oshun
    • sondeorumila@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 6, 2003
        Aboru Aboye Abosise.....In Nigeria this name is pronounced Oshun Bunmi, it
        means the river gives, and it is Oshuns most direct path....Ashe O! Ifaleke Omo
        Oshun