Teleny and Camille

  • jon macy
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 5, 2010
      Dear Scholars,

      I'm pleased to announce that my adaptation of the novel Teleny is
      being published by Northwest Press -a new publisher focusing on Gay
      graphic novels. Teleny and Camille debuted at Comic Con in San Diego
      last month and was well received by fans and critics. It was good to
      see the comic book industry so accepting of Queer content as well as a
      larger expanded academic presence there. The works of Wilde and his
      circle are still relevant and important to our history. It is my
      sincere wish to bring new attention and new conversation regarding
      Teleny.

      Jon Macy

      http://northwestcomics.com/shop-northwest-press/

      ====

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

      Contacts:
      Charles "Zan" Christensen, Publisher
      zan@...
      (206) 265-2859

      Jon Macy, artist
      nefarismo@...

      A high-quality digital review copy of TELENY AND CAMILLE is available
      to press outlets on request. Please contact zan@...
      and a link will be emailed to you.

      =====

      Adaptation of the "First Gay Novel" is First Release from Gay Graphic
      Novel Publisher Northwest Press

      Seattle, WA —Northwest Press, a new publisher devoted to printing
      high-quality work showcasing gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender
      stories, debuted its first book, Jon Macy's graphic novel, Teleny and
      Camille, at Comic-Con International from July 21st-July 25th. This new
      book is an adaptation of the anonymous Victorian erotic novel Teleny,
      attributed to Oscar Wilde and his circle of writers and poets, about a
      secret love affair between a wealthy young gentleman and an exotic
      pianist. The book is available now from Last Gasp and will be
      available through other distributors soon.

      The graphic novel is framed with sequences set in the modern era, with
      Macy explaining the reasons why he was drawn to the project, and
      outlining some of the potential pitfalls. Though it's a period piece,
      the novel avoids having a dry tone; Macy has attempted to evoke the
      period without becoming a costume drama and keeping its audience at
      arm's length. The characters in Teleny and Camille come alive as real
      people, overcome and undone by long-suppressed passions.

      "It's very historically accurate," says Macy, "but it's not just
      another Victorian romp. These guys were aesthetes and they did
      everything they could to be modern so. To some, the imagery might seem
      too futuristic for 1890 but trust me, they were doing it at the time.
      You might say that I show the Victorian London that they would have
      liked to have lived in."

      "One alteration I made was to tone down the more stereotypically 'gay'
      dress. It's been over one hundred years since the trials of Oscar
      Wilde, but we still carry the visual baggage. When they were
      flamboyant and waved their flowers it was an act of rebellion. I had
      to show their social protest in a way that hasn't had decades of hate
      twisting it into something now ridiculed."

      "I've always had an interest in unusual erotic novels," continues
      Macy, "such as George Bataille's The Story of the Eye and Huysman's
      Against the Grain and I had friends who would find and give them to
      me. Teleny was one that an old friend thought I would especially like
      and he was right. I was inspired by the intense hallucinations and
      very dense descriptions of the love making. No where else would you
      find erotic scenes describing lovers exposing their naked bodies to
      the thunderbolts of heaven and luxuriating in a fiery rain of emeralds
      and rubies. The language is gorgeous and the love between the men so
      pure and intense."

      The apparent goal of the novel—which was composed in secret by a
      number of authors—was to create a work of erotica that aspired to be
      literature, with a solid narrative, believable characters and rich and
      varied cultural underpinnings. The result is a story steeped in both
      sensuality and history, as the characters revel in the pleasures of
      the flesh and draw parallels between their own illicit love and those
      from Greek myth and elsewhere.

      The book balances its literary aspirations with frankness about the
      sexual escapades of its characters; their experiences run the gamut
      from all-out horrific to near-divine, showing both the destructive and
      redemptive powers of giving in to one's lusts. The main character,
      Camille, constantly walks the line between seeing his love as a curse
      or a blessing, and is frequently driven to extremes by the
      overwhelming power of his love.

      "I've always had a fascination with the elevation of erotic material
      to the level of art," says publisher Charles "Zan" Christensen, who
      also writes the erotic series The Mark of Aeacus for Class Comics.
      "For such a basic human instinct, it seems that we routinely steer
      clear of really exploring and being honest about our sexual lives, and
      I think we're poorer for it. Teleny and Camille evokes the time period
      and gives us a window into what life might have been like for gay men
      in Victorian England, and reminds us of the vast distance we've come
      in a relatively short time and the dangers of going backward."

      Jon Macy was part of the early nineties black and white comics boom
      with the series Tropo. It was followed by the erotic/horror comic
      series Nefarismo from Eros/Fantagraphics. Since then, he has created
      strips for gay skin magazines such as Steam, Wilde, Bunkhouse and
      International Leatherman as well as the anthologies Gay Comix,
      Negative Burn, Meatmen and Boy Trouble.

      Teleny and Camille is a 248-page perfect-bound graphic novel. It was
      made available for the first time at Comic-Con International in San
      Diego at the end of July 2010, and is now available for order through
      Last Gasp. It will soon be available from a number of other
      distributors, including Diamond, Haven Book Distributors, and Bulldog
      Books in Australia.

      ====