Liberty

  • D C Rose
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2008
      Liberty of London: Designs of Our Times
      Victoria & Albert Museum
      Friday 18 January 2008
      19.00 - 20.45 (wine reception with the speaker 20.00 - 20.45)
      Since 1875, Liberty has been synonymous with luxury and great design,
      with its textiles being particularly revered. In this talk, Anna
      Buruma, archivist at Liberty, will draw on images from its renowned
      textiles archive. Taking Members on a visually enticing journey, she
      will explore the store's early years, via the Arts and Crafts movement,
      Art Noveau and the 1950s and 1960s, to the present day, and will
      discuss how these designs impacted on tastes throughout the years.
      £18

      DCR
    • Elizabeth McCollum
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2008
        *whimper* This is one of those many moments when I hate being on the
        other side of the Big Pond!
        When I lived in London a few years ago, I couldn't stay away from
        Liberty's and their amazing Arts and Crafts furniture section. And the
        fabrics! I've brought back fabric from Liberty's twice now
        And made some lovely clothes out of it.

        Thanks for the link, David, I'll just quietly yearn from afar! But if
        anyone else will be going to that talk, it would be wonderful to have a
        review of it for the fashion page. Any takers?

        All the best,

        Elizabeth
        --
        Elizabeth McCollum
        sphinxvictorian@...
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 19, 2008
          Dear Mr Mansouri and Members,

          Regarding Mr Mansouri's views,can it be said that the words
          liberty and responsibility have nothing to do with each other.If they
          are linked then it is a moral judgement,and that is subjective.

          The Shaw quote 'Liberty means responsibility',appears to be
          quite old hat now.

          Maybe Mr Mansouri and like minded members can tell us why
          they like this quote so much. To conclude, Nietzsche's views on liberty are interesting in their originality.

          Beautiful Regard, Aamer