Re: Oscar and Spain

  • vivaformica
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2009
      Hello, Aamar,

      I'm afraid I'm not studying the reception of Wilde in Spain, but as far as I have read, Wilde was loved by some and despised by others, probably more because of his private life than because of his talent). The first translations of his works go back to the 1900s.

      What I'm actually studying for my master's dissertation is the translation of the repetitive structures in The nightingale and the rose. I've found that, in more cases that you would think, repetitions are avoided, but this is a common feature of the translation of literature, as the evoidance of repetition is regarded as a universal of translation. Hopefully, as translators are more and more aware of the stylistic nature of repetitions, these will be respected, as they play a vital function in his prose.

      David