CALL FOR PAPERS : British Studies

  • oscholarship-owner@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6 10:11 AM
      NORTH AMERICAN CONFERENCE ON BRITISH STUDIES
      ANNUAL MEETING
      Montreal, Quebec
      NOVEMBER 9-11, 2012

      The NACBS and its Northeastern affiliate, the Northeast Conference on British Studies, seek participation by scholars in all areas of British Studies for the 2012 meeting. We will meet in Montreal, Quebec, from November 9-11. We solicit proposals for panels on Britain, the British Empire and the British world. Our interests range from the medieval to the modern. We welcome participation by scholars across the humanities and social sciences.

      We invite panel proposals addressing selected themes, methodology, and pedagogy, as well as roundtable discussions of topical and thematic interest, including conversations among authors of recent books and reflections on landmark scholarship. We are particularly interested in submissions that have a broad chronological focus and/or interdisciplinary breadth. North American scholars, international scholars and Ph.D. students are all encouraged to submit proposals for consideration. Complete panel or roundtable proposals that consider a common theme are more likely than individual papers to be successful. Panels typically include three papers and a comment; roundtables customarily have four presentations. Individual paper proposals will also be considered, but we urge those with single paper submissions to search for additional panelists on lists such as H-Albion or at venues such as the NACBS Facebook page. Applicants may also write to the Program Chair for suggestions (nacbsprogram@...).

      All scholars working in the field of British Studies are encouraged to apply for the 2012 conference, though we particularly
      welcome submissions from those who did not appear on the 2011 program. Panels that include both emerging and established scholars are encouraged: we welcome the participation of junior scholars and Ph.D. candidates beyond the qualifying stage.

      To foster intellectual interchange, we ask applicants to compose panels that feature participation from multiple institutions.

      No participant will be permitted to take part in more than one session and no more than one proposal will be considered from each applicant.

      Submissions will be taken at www.nacbs.org/conferences.html from late January through March 1, 2011.

      If you have questions about the submission process or suggestions for program development, please contact

      Susan D. Amussen
      NACBS Program Chair
      Professor of History
      University of California, Merced
    • oscholarship-owner@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 20 1:25 AM
        The Midwest Conference on British Studies is proud to announce that its fifty-ninth annual meeting will be hosted by the University of Toronto in Ontario, Canada, October 12-14th, 2012.

        The MWCBS seeks papers from scholars in all fields of British Studies, broadly defined to include those who study England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, and Britain's empire. We welcome scholars from the broad spectrum of disciplines, including but not limited to history, literature, political science, gender studies and art history. Proposals for complete sessions are preferred, although proposals for individual papers will be considered. We welcome roundtables (of four participants plus chair) and panels (of three participants plus chair/commentator) that:

        * offer cross-disciplinary perspectives on topics in British Studies
        * situate the arts, letters, and sciences in a British cultural context
        * examine representations of British and imperial/Commonwealth national
        identities
        * consider Anglo-American relations, past and present
        * examine new trends in British Studies
        * assess a major work or body of work by a scholar
        * explore new developments in digital humanities and/or research methodologies

        After a very positive response to last year's first teaching roundtable, we would particularly like to receive proposals for teaching roundtables that discuss collaborative or innovative learning techniques in the British
        Studies classroom.

        The MWCBS welcomes papers presented by advanced graduate students and will award the Walter L. Arnstein Prize for the best graduate student paper(s) given at the conference.

        Proposals must:
        - Include a 200-word abstract for each paper and a brief, 1-page c.v. for each participant, including chairs and commentators.
        - For full panels, include a brief 200-word preview of the panel as a whole.

        Please place the panel proposal, the accompanying paper proposals and vitas in one file and send it as a single attachment. Also identify within the email the contact person for the panel.

        All proposals should be submitted online by April 1, 2012, to the Program Committee Chair, Lia Paradis at lia.paradis@....

        Visit the MWCBS website at <http://mwcbs.edublogs.org/