Describe in Win 9x--problem

  • Alan D Barbour
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2000
      I wanted to print a document on a Win9x computer after composing it
      with Describe under OS/2. I installed the 32-bit version of Describe
      on the Winbox alright, then tried to import the document from a floppy.
      I had saved the document in MS Word format (without graphics frames),
      and that I could open alright. I then tried the Describe file proper,
      which I had saved with the graphics; the Winbox told me it couldn't
      read the file. I tried deleting the extension (I had used *.des), but
      still no go. I then tried making a new graphic frame and importing a
      graphic in Windows bitmap format, but the PC wouldn't open that either
      (it worked fine on my OS/2 box). I am guessing that under Win 9x
      Describe either can't handle importing text and graphics together, or
      it needs a different format (like JPG, maybe). Does anyone out there
      have any guidance to offer? It would be a pain to have to reformat the
      document in MS Word.

      TIA

      Alan Barbour

      ___________________________
      Dosis sola facit venenum.
      --Paracelsus
    • Alan D Barbour
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2000
        On Wed, 02 Feb 2000 16:07:31 +1000 (EST), John Angelico wrote:

        <snip>>Did you install all the optional import filters when you loaded
        >DeScribe on the Winbox?

        >Best regards
        >John Angelico
        >OS/2 SIG
        >Melbourne PC User Group Inc.
        >Email: talldad@... or talldad@...
        >
        >PMTagline v1.50 - Copyright, 1996-1997, Stephen Berg and John Angelico
        >... ENCRYPTION: encoding technique used in computer manuals

        >GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds. Get rates as low as 0.0 percent
        >Intro APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW.

        ___________________________
        Dosis sola facit venenum.
        --Paracelsus
      • Alan D Barbour
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2000
          On Tue, 01 Feb 2000 22:57:23 -0800, Patrick West wrote:

          >From: Patrick West <patrickwest@...>
          >
          >I have been using DeScribe under Win95 and WinNT for years
          >without any problems at all.

          >Alan D Barbour wrote:
          >>
          >> From: "Alan D Barbour" <abarbour@...>
          >>
          >> then tried to import the document from a floppy.
          >>

          >Did you use IMPORT or OPEN?

          ___________________________
          Dosis sola facit venenum.
          --Paracelsus
        • John Angelico
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2000
            On Tue, 01 Feb 2000 18:33:45 +0000, Alan D Barbour wrote:

            >From: "Alan D Barbour" <abarbour@...>

            Hi Alan.

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 1, 2000
              On Wed, 02 Feb 2000 07:17:30 -0500, johnlittle@... wrote:

              >From: johnlittle@...
              >
              >>>I wanted to print a document on a Win9x computer after composing it
              >>>with Describe under OS/2. I installed the 32-bit version of Describe
              >>>on the Winbox alright, then tried to import the document from a floppy.
              >>> I had saved the document in MS Word format (without graphics frames),
              >>>and that I could open alright.
              >
              >Why did you save it to MS Word format? Simply use the native DeScribe format on both machines (OS/2 and Windows 9x)
              >
              >1. On OS/2 simply save the document in DeScribe's native format to a floppy.

              >2. On the Windows machine use DeScribe to open the file (in its native format).

              >3. print.

              >GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds. Get rates as low as 0.0 percent
              >Intro APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW.

              ___________________________
              Dosis sola facit venenum.
              --Paracelsus
            • Patrick West
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 1, 2000

              • johnlittle@floridacdc.org
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 2, 2000

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 2, 2000
                    He said he did both DeScribe and MSWord format.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 2, 2000
                      Thanks for the help; that should do the trick. I composed a rough
                      version of the piece in MS Word, but would prefer to work with
                      Describe. --Alan

                      On Thu, 03 Feb 2000 10:59:00 +1000 (EST), John Angelico wrote:

                      >From: "John Angelico" <talldad@...>
                      >
                      >On Tue, 01 Feb 2000 23:00:35 +0000, Alan D Barbour wrote:
                      >
                      >>From: "Alan D Barbour" <abarbour@...>
                      >>
                      >>On Wed, 02 Feb 2000 16:07:31 +1000 (EST), John Angelico wrote:
                      >>
                      >><snip>>Did you install all the optional import filters when you loaded
                      >>>DeScribe on the Winbox?

                      >OK. Rerun the (Selective) Install and select to install all filters
                      >(text and graphic) but not tore-install the program itself.
                      >
                      >Then try again.
                      >

                      >Best regards
                      >John Angelico
                      >OS/2 SIG
                      >Melbourne PC User Group Inc.
                      >Email: talldad@... or talldad@...

                      >Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa. ZERO. Rates as low as 0.0
                      >percent Intro APR, online balance transfers, Rewards Points, no hidden
                      >fees, and much more. Get NextCard today and get the credit you deserve.
                      >Apply now! Get your NextCard Visa at

                      Dosis sola facit venenum.
                      --Paracelsus
                    • John Angelico