Re: DeScribe and Pipes

  • Patrick West
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 3, 1996
      Versions 3 & 4 of DeScribe can also read dbase files. It may be that he
      hasn't tried it or didn't install the filter when he installed DeScribe.

    • rjlapham@xxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2000
        In <200001031215.HAA67193@...>, on 01/03/00
        at 11:15 PM, "John Angelico" <talldad@...> said:

        > I am trying to pull these into DeScribe direct from the dBase file via a
        > REXX script in a Macro.

        > We plan now to maintain the database via RexxBase and a VX-REXX
        > application.

        Not only can DeScribe merge from a dBase file, but did you know that IBM
        Works' database uses the dBase file format? If you haven't already set up
        your RexxBase/VX-REXX app, you might consider just using IBM Works for
        database maintenance.

        -Jerry
        Jerry Lapham, Monroe, OH
        E-Mail: rjlapham@...
        Written Monday, January 03, 2000 - 02:35 PM (EST)
        MR/2 Ice tag: "If guns cause crime, then logic follows without question that; cameras cause pornography, matches cause arson, automobiles cause accidents, bathing suits cause drowning, computers cause email, baseball bats cause home runs, blenders cause margaritas, elections cause corruption and, of course, grandmothers cause adultery."
      • John Angelico
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2000
          On Mon, 03 Jan 2000 14:35:17 -0500, Jerry Lapham wrote:

          >Not only can DeScribe merge from a dBase file, but did you know that IBM
          >Works' database uses the dBase file format? If you haven't already set up
          >your RexxBase/VX-REXX app, you might consider just using IBM Works for
          >database maintenance.

          Hi Jerry and thanks for the suggestion.

          However, I have seen the heavy strain that Works puts on a system and
          decided not to go that way. It just seems to be a heavy-handed way of
          doing it even though, on the surface, you are perfectly right - why
          re-invent the wheel?

          I have also looked at Approach in my Lotus SS, have a registered copy
          of DbExpert, a copy of Personal DB2/2.

          In the end, I look like doing our own Rexx plus DbExpert, I think.

          Christian Regards,
          John & Marjo Angelico Kingsley Educational Pty Ltd
          Phone +613 9544 8792 P O Box 310
          Fax +613 9544 2328 Mount Waverley
          Email: talldad@... VIC 3149 AUSTRALIA
          Web: http://www.kepl.com.au
          | We will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord, |
          | His power and the wonders He has done Ps 78:4 |

          PMTagline v1.50 - Copyright, 1996-1997, Stephen Berg and John Angelico
          ... Printout - A document to verify data you know is wrong anyway.
        • John Angelico
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2000

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 3, 2000
              On Mon, 03 Jan 2000 08:10:22 -0800 (PST), Ted Blockley wrote:

              >>My Describe Voyager reads dBase-Files directly. No need for a macro.
              >
              >Same here- I've filtered a large database into a smaller . dbf
              >file which Describe imported directly into a mail merge without any
              >problems.
              >
              >Ted Blockley

              Hi Dr Tom & Ted.

              Hmm, very interesting. I will look at that.

              How do you select and sort? I have a selection of 200 out of 4500
              records to pull, sorted by name and then zipcode, with 7 fields per
              label. Is that the kind of thing you do? Does that go straight into a
              label format?

              Christian Regards,
              John & Marjo Angelico Kingsley Educational Pty Ltd
              Phone +613 9544 8792 P O Box 310
              Fax +613 9544 2328 Mount Waverley
              Email: talldad@... VIC 3149 AUSTRALIA
              Web: http://www.kepl.com.au
              | We will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord, |
              | His power and the wonders He has done Ps 78:4 |

              PMTagline v1.50 - Copyright, 1996-1997, Stephen Berg and John Angelico
              ... PROGRAM: n. used to turn valid data into error messages
            • Dr. Thomas Vandahl
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 3, 2000
                On Tue, 04 Jan 2000 12:15:54 +1000 (EST), John Angelico wrote:

                >How do you select and sort? I have a selection of 200 out of 4500
                >records to pull, sorted by name and then zipcode, with 7 fields per
                >label. Is that the kind of thing you do? Does that go straight into a
                >label format?

                In the last Step of creating a mail-merge, you can select by 3 different
                rules and sort by 2 different keys. And yes, this perfectly works with
                labels.

                Bye, Thomas.