macrons in OS/2

  • abarbour@lightspeed.net
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 9, 1999
      I just heard of a way of generating letters with macrons with a Mac (vide infra). I wonder if one can do the same sort of thing in OS/2; if possible, it would seem better than installing a separate font. I fiddled with a couple of different fonts using the control and alt keys, but didn't have any luck. Does this sound familiar to anyone in the group?

      Sincerely,

      Alan Barbour

      =====================
      Forward:

      I will tell you everything I know, but unfortunately, that's not much. I'm
      mainly a mac user, although I use Windows relatively often as a testbed and
      to access client files. This may or may not help you.

      Normal accent marks can be produced on the mac with simple keyboard
      combinations: press option-u, then an "a" "i" "u" "o" "e", and you will get
      that character with an umlaut over it. It works the same for the other
      accent marks: opt-e sets up for left-to-right accent, opt-i sets up for the
      carrot accent, etc. You can see all of these easily by pulling up the "Key
      Caps" utility from the apple menu. All these characters can be accessed
      from any program, with any font.

      Japanese diacritic characters (macrons, really) are available as a separate
      font (modified times roman), and are accessed in the same way as standard
      accent marks, except I believe the umlaut becomes the macron (horizontal
      bar).
    • James M. Moe
      • Philip Griffin-Allwood
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 9, 1999
          ** Reply to note from abarbour@... 9 Nov 1999 19:56:59 -0000

          Tuesday, November 9, 1999

          I run Warp 3 Fixpax 26 and have yet to find a keyboard driver equivalent
          to Windows International English setting or WordStar's extended
          character ability. In both I type the accent then the letter to get an
          accented letter.

          I run AmiPro for OS/2 and the AmiPro3.1 Character macro works fine. I
          also use Husky, a freeware utility on Hobbes which allows insertion of
          extended characters.

          Phil

          --written in WordStar 7.0d and emailed with Post Road Mailer 3.0

          Philip G. A. Griffin-Allwood, Ph.D.
          Kentville, N.S., Canada
          pgaga@...
        • Alan D Barbour
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 9, 1999
            On Tue, 09 Nov 1999 23:34:08 -0800, driven zen wrote:

            >From: driven zen <drivnzen@...>
            >
            >Hello Alan and James:
            >
            >For macrons, I can't say. However, there is a system-wide method that
            >will work for Describe and all OS/2 sessions to allow the typing of most
            >of the various European characters.

            It involves reversing the order of
            >the standard codepages (put 850 before 437)

            and changing the "US" in the
            >devinfo=kbd statement to a "UX." This allows a variety of key
            >combinations to produce the desired characters. (see small example,
            >below)

            I have a feeling that the Byzantine twists and turns of SSOS2
            >and the embedded codepage handling of SO for OS/2 would defeat this
            >feature. However, it works in epm, e.exe, Describe, and the e-mail
            >clients I've used.
            >
            >Gr��en,
            >
            >Mark Henigan
            >--

            ___________________________
            Dosis sola facit venenum.
            --Paracelsus
          • driven zen
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 9, 1999
              Hello Alan and James:

              For macrons, I can't say. However, there is a system-wide method that
              will work for Describe and all OS/2 sessions to allow the typing of most
              of the various European characters. It involves reversing the order of
              the standard codepages (put 850 before 437) and changing the "US" in the
              devinfo=kbd statement to a "UX." This allows a variety of key
              combinations to produce the desired characters. (see small example,
              below) I have a feeling that the Byzantine twists and turns of SSOS2

              "James M. Moe" wrote:

              > From: "James M. Moe" <moe_jim@...>

            • James M. Moe
              • Ian Bracher
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 10, 1999
                  ** Reply to note from "James M. Moe" <moe_jim@...> Tue, 09 Nov 1999 13:49:07 -0700 (MST)

                  > The most convenient I found for os/2 is a Character Map display;
                  > I just copy/paste the character to wherever I want it.
                  >
                  > Jim Moe

                  I use Clipchar, which is a useful little program included with "Blanker"
                  screen saver.

                  I think it is on Hobbes

                  Ian Bracher
                • Alan D Barbour
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 10, 1999
                    Great stuff! This goes into my hard copy file, and definintely onto my
                    to-do list.

                    Last night I installed a pair of fonts from Matchware Fonts that have
                    non-advancing diacritical marks among the accessible characrers; I can
                    put them in using the Describe character manager. But the macron
                    doesn't work well with capital letters or lower-case i. One nice thing
                    is that I can type in the regular letters, then go back and quickly cut
                    in the macrons. Probably the font need three macrons--one for caps,
                    one for lower-case i, and one for other lower-case letters. Or maybe a
                    separte lowr-case i with a macron.

                    Alan Barbour

                    ___________________________
                    Dosis sola facit venenum.
                    --Paracelsus
                  • driven zen
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 11, 1999
                      Alan D Barbour wrote:

                      > From: "Alan D Barbour" <abarbour@...>
                      >
                      > On Tue, 09 Nov 1999 23:34:08 -0800, driven zen wrote:
                      >
                      > >From: driven zen <drivnzen@...>
                      > >
                      > >Hello Alan and James:
                      > >
                      > >For macrons, I can't say. However, there is a system-wide method that
                      > >will work for Describe and all OS/2 sessions to allow the typing of most
                      > >of the various European characters.

                      It's very nice.

                      > It involves reversing the order of
                      > >the standard codepages (put 850 before 437)

                      The risk is revealing my poor communications skills. You are correct.
                      The idea is apparently to load the standard codepages in the opposite
                      order that is usually used. See below.

                      > and changing the "US" in the
                      > >devinfo=kbd statement to a "UX." This allows a variety of key
                      > >combinations to produce the desired characters. (see small example,
                      > >below)

                      > I have a feeling that the Byzantine twists and turns of SSOS2
                      > >and the embedded codepage handling of SO for OS/2 would defeat this
                      > >feature. However, it works in epm, e.exe, Describe, and the e-mail
                      > >clients I've used.
                      > >
                      > >Gr��en,

                      Hmmm... My umlauted u as essetj did not survive translation by a mail
                      server along the way, although they were correctly displayed in the copy
                      of my post that I downloaded.

                      I learned about this from Felmon John Davis of OS2HELP-L fame who
                      obtained it from someone named mcbob. The contents are presented below:

                      Here's a copy of a message from 'mcbob' with info I used to alter the
                      codepage of my system. I'm printing it almost entire and without quote
                      signs. I think this should get you underway:

                      Felmon

                      ----quotation from here to my signature-------

                      In fact the keyboards are user programmable, but it takes
                      a hex editor. You just need to be a peculiar sort of user lay out your
                      own keyboard :-). Anyway this insn't necessary if you just want
                      English-Scandinavian-German-Romance language compatibility.

                      Although it is buried in an example in the on-line documentation, OS/2
                      WARP 4 includes an international keyboard layout that allows typing the
                      special characters peculiar to non-English
                      alphabets of western Europe such as �, �, �, and so on.
                      Once you set it up, you can use these characters not only
                      in Describe, but any OS/2 session, whether text or PM based.

                      To use this alternate keyboard you need to edit two lines in your
                      CONFIG.SYS file. You need to change the keyboard DEVINFO line which
                      specifies a "US" layout to specify "UX" instead (assuming you are
                      starting
                      from a US version).
                      The "D:" will need be changed if your OS/2 installation is on another
                      drive.

                      DEVINFO=KBD,UX,D:\OS2\KEYBOARD.DCP

                      You must also ensure that codepage 850 is loaded or
                      the characters will probably (I didn't check it)
                      display incorrectly. On my system I changed a line which
                      read:

                      CODEPAGE=437,850

                      to read:

                      CODEPAGE=850,437

                      I have no doubt that the KEYB command can also be used to
                      switch keyboards. I don't do it that way. I have my keyboard
                      permanently set to UX.

                      I had difficulty guessing which characters can be generated.
                      I found a little documentation in the WARP 4 toolkit.
                      With that plus HEXDUMP I was able to generate a complete
                      list of the extra characters:

                      International Characters Generated by the US-International
                      (UX) Keyboard in OS/2 WARP version 4 using code page 850:

                      "^" followed by vowel gives circumflex

                      a -> �
                      e -> �
                      i -> �
                      o -> �
                      u -> �
                      A -> �
                      E -> �
                      I -> �
                      O -> �
                      U -> �
                      -> ^

                      RIGHT-ALT+"^" followed by "a" gives Swedish rounded a

                      a -> �
                      A -> �
                      -> �

                      RIGHT-ALT + ":" followed by vowel gives umlauts

                      a -> �
                      e -> �
                      i -> �
                      o -> �
                      u -> �
                      y -> �
                      A -> �
                      E -> �
                      I -> �
                      O -> �
                      U -> �
                      -> �

                      RIGHT-ALT+"'" followed by vowel gives accent ague

                      a -> �
                      e -> �
                      i -> �
                      o -> �
                      u -> �
                      A -> �
                      E -> �
                      I -> �
                      O -> �
                      U -> �
                      y -> �
                      Y -> �
                      -> �

                      "~" followed by a character gives the tilde

                      a -> �
                      o -> �
                      n -> �
                      A -> �
                      O -> �
                      N -> �
                      -> ~

                      "`" followed by vowel gives accent grave

                      a -> �
                      e -> �
                      i -> �
                      o -> �
                      u -> �
                      A -> �
                      E -> �
                      I -> �
                      O -> �
                      U -> �
                      -> `

                      RIGHT-ALT+"~" gives phonetic symbols I don't recognize

                      d -> �
                      D -> �
                      t -> �
                      T -> �
                      a -> �
                      A -> �
                      o -> �
                      O -> �
                      -> �

                      RIGHT-ALT+"," followed by "c" gives cedilla

                      c -> �
                      C -> �
                      -> �

                      Special characters generated by using RIGHT-ALT as an
                      extra shift key:

                      RIGHT-ALT+"a" -> �
                      RIGHT-ALT+"c" -> �
                      RIGHT-ALT+"d" -> �
                      RIGHT-ALT+"e" -> �
                      RIGHT-ALT+"f" -> f
                      RIGHT-ALT+"l" -> �
                      RIGHT-ALT+"m" -> �
                      RIGHT-ALT+"n" -> �
                      RIGHT-ALT+"o" -> �
                      RIGHT-ALT+"p" -> �
                      RIGHT-ALT+"q" -> �
                      RIGHT-ALT+"r" -> �
                      RIGHT-ALT+"s" -> � (Greek Beta or German sz)
                      RIGHT-ALT+"w" -> �
                      RIGHT-ALT+"x" -> �
                      RIGHT-ALT+"y" -> �
                      RIGHT-ALT+"z" -> �
                      RIGHT-ALT+"." -> �
                      RIGHT-ALT+"/" -> �
                      RIGHT-ALT+"[" -> �
                      RIGHT-ALT+"]" -> �
                      RIGHT-ALT+"=" -> �
                      RIGHT-ALT+"1" -> �
                      RIGHT-ALT+"2" -> �
                      RIGHT-ALT+"3" -> �
                      RIGHT-ALT+"4" -> �
                      RIGHT-ALT+"5" -> �
                      RIGHT-ALT+"7" -> �
                      RIGHT-ALT+"8" -> �

                      Hope this is of use!

                      Mark Henigan
                      --
                    • Alan D Barbour
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 11, 1999
                        On Thu, 11 Nov 1999 11:08:08 -0500, pcoaker@... wrote:

                        >From: pcoaker@...
                        >

                        >Try CHCP to temporarily switch code pages.

                        ___________________________
                        Dosis sola facit venenum.
                        --Paracelsus
                      • pcoaker@xx.xxx.xxx
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 11, 1999
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 11, 1999
                            Yes, in an OS/2 window. For help, type in "help chcp."

                            Paul Coaker
                            CSC Analyst
                            pcoaker@...
                            416-383-4231

                            WARNING!
                            This document was created and transmitted using OS/2 V4, the most advanced
                            32 bit Client OS in the world.
                          • Philip Griffin-Allwood
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 11, 1999
                              Thursday, November 11, 1999

                              Thanks for the info about setting up the International Keyboard.
                              Because my system is stable with FixPax 26, I never upgraded beyond it.
                              Initially the change from US to UX did not work. I have the BMT Micro
                              Fixpak CD and unpacked the keyboard.dcp from Fixpak 31. With that
                              upgrade the International keyboard worked.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 12, 1999
                                Hellow Alan:

                                This interests me for use with lower case Roman numerals. Is that a
                                practical application of these macrons? Do I understand your post?

                                TIA,

                                Mark Henigan
                                --

                                Alan D Barbour wrote:

                                > From: "Alan D Barbour" <abarbour@...>
                                >
                                > Great stuff! This goes into my hard copy file, and definintely onto my
                                > to-do list.
                                >
                                > Last night I installed a pair of fonts from Matchware Fonts that have
                                > non-advancing diacritical marks among the accessible characrers; I can
                                > put them in using the Describe character manager. But the macron
                                > doesn't work well with capital letters or lower-case i. One nice thing
                                > is that I can type in the regular letters, then go back and quickly cut
                                > in the macrons. Probably the font need three macrons--one for caps,
                                > one for lower-case i, and one for other lower-case letters. Or maybe a
                                > separte lowr-case i with a macron.
                                >
                                > Alan Barbour
                                >
                                > ___________________________
                                > Dosis sola facit venenum.
                                > --Paracelsus

                              • Alan D Barbour
                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 13, 1999
                                  Mark--that hadn't occurred to me, but now that you mention it, I have
                                  seen physicians write lower-case roman numerals as lower-case i's with
                                  bars over them. I don't recall seeing numbers over three written that
                                  way, though. Four could be written IIII instead of IV (which would not
                                  be good because of confusion with the abbreviation for "intravenous."
                                  I just checked it, and the lower-case macronized "i" in the baltic font
                                  pack works for roman "one," while the separate macron in the MatchFonts
                                  pronunciation pacx will work with lower-case "v" and "x." Is this of
                                  assistance?

                                  --Alan

                                  On Fri, 12 Nov 1999 23:24:37 -0800, driven zen wrote:

                                  >From: driven zen <drivnzen@...>
                                  >
                                  >Hellow Alan:
                                  >
                                  >This interests me for use with lower case Roman numerals. Is that a
                                  >practical application of these macrons? Do I understand your post?
                                  >
                                  >TIA,
                                  >
                                  >Mark Henigan
                                  >--
                                  >
                                  >Alan D Barbour wrote:
                                  <snip>

                                  ___________________________
                                  Dosis sola facit venenum.
                                  --Paracelsus
                                • driven zen
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 13, 1999
                                    Hello Alan:

                                    Yes this is very helpful. There have been a number of times that I have
                                    had to simply write in the macrons in the distant past. I'll have to
                                    figure out how to handle the various codepages. The standard lower case
                                    Roman numerals are written in that manner. Many physicians who do not
                                    understand the intention of the macronized i simply write iiii and iiiii
                                    for 4 and 5, respectively. You are right that macronized v and x would
                                    be correct way to write these. You will often see physician's and
                                    nursing notes with lower case macronized c for with (con), a for before
                                    (ante), p for after (post), as well as many other similar
                                    abbreviations. I suppose it is a written underline or italicization.

                                    Thanks again,

                                    Mark