Re: [os2wp] OS/2 open source?

  • John Drabik
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
      No, I believe he meant "for want of older hardware". The support for
      new hardware (or, lack of), makes it difficult to run on some newer
      systems, so you need a good, but older, machine to continue working
      with OS/2.

      I've faced that issue myself: recently, I had to take down one of the
      last OS/2 systems I have. I miss it, but when I tried to move to a
      newer MB, I couldn't get it to start (ACPI issue, I think, but I
      couldn't tell for sure). Eventually, after much playing around, I
      put Linux (Debian) on the box. I'm now down to this one OS/2 box. I
      moved CopyShop and a few other apps from the other box to here, but
      if this box goes out, I can see that I'm in deep trouble in OS/2
      land, and there are apps, tools, games, that I would really miss.

      I am very hopeful that IBM will open source at least some parts of
      OS/2. But for now, I keep waiting for the day I can't get hardware
      to run it anymore with some dread.

      JD
      On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:13:31 -0400, Kenn Yuill wrote:

      >Sorin Srbu wrote as follows on 22/07/05 02:33:
      >
      >> Although I don't use OS/2 anymore (for want of older
      >> hardware...), I'd like to see some diversity for the end user. There seems
      >> to be too much of a linux and windows centric buzz.
      >

      >You mean 'for want of' [absence of] newer hardware. What's wrong with
      >MacIntosh or perhaps Solaris? I'm sure that the newest hardware is
      >supported by Apple, although I don't know much about Solaris and how it
      >interacts with others OSes.
      >
      >--
      > Ciao,
      > Kenn
      > Always act as if life is a joyous journey. - Kenn Yuill

    • Mark Henigan
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
        Hello John:

        Eugene Gorbunoff is working on ACPI support as one
        element of the eCS "Beta Zone."

        HTH,

        - Mark

        Mark Henigan
        --

        John Drabik wrote:
        > No, I believe he meant "for want of older hardware". The support for
        > new hardware (or, lack of), makes it difficult to run on some newer
        > systems, so you need a good, but older, machine to continue working
        > with OS/2.
        >
        > I've faced that issue myself: recently, I had to take down one of the
        > last OS/2 systems I have. I miss it, but when I tried to move to a
        > newer MB, I couldn't get it to start (ACPI issue, I think, but I
        > couldn't tell for sure). Eventually, after much playing around, I
        > put Linux (Debian) on the box. I'm now down to this one OS/2 box. I
        > moved CopyShop and a few other apps from the other box to here, but
        > if this box goes out, I can see that I'm in deep trouble in OS/2
        > land, and there are apps, tools, games, that I would really miss.
        >
        > I am very hopeful that IBM will open source at least some parts of
        > OS/2. But for now, I keep waiting for the day I can't get hardware
        > to run it anymore with some dread.
        >
        > JD
        > On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:13:31 -0400, Kenn Yuill wrote:
        >

        >>Sorin Srbu wrote as follows on 22/07/05 02:33:
        >>

        >>>Although I don't use OS/2 anymore (for want of older
        >>>hardware...), I'd like to see some diversity for the end user. There seems
        >>>to be too much of a linux and windows centric buzz.
        >>

        >>You mean 'for want of' [absence of] newer hardware. What's wrong with
        >>MacIntosh or perhaps Solaris? I'm sure that the newest hardware is
        >>supported by Apple, although I don't know much about Solaris and how it
        >>interacts with others OSes.
        >>
        >>--
        >>Ciao,
        >> Kenn
        >> Always act as if life is a joyous journey. - Kenn Yuill

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Kenn Yuill
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 4, 2005
          John Drabik wrote as follows on 03/08/05 14:21:

          > No, I believe he meant "for want of older hardware". The support for
          > new hardware (or, lack of), makes it difficult to run on some newer
          > systems, so you need a good, but older, machine to continue working
          > with OS/2.

          Thanks for the correction, John and apologies to Sorin for my
          dyslexic-like reading of his posting.

          --
          Ciao,
          Kenn
          Always act as if life is a joyous journey. - Kenn Yuill
          __________ A Quote for Today __________
          In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.
          - Albert Einstein
          * TagZilla 0.057 * <http://tagzilla.mozdev.org>
        • Sorin Srbu
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 12, 2005
            Yeah, that's what I mean. I believe I wrota that just before going on
            vacation, still on it for another two weeks. 8*)

            Nothing in particular is wrong with Macs or Solaris, However in my world
            Macintosh and Solaris doesn't exist at all, at least not in any significant
            amounts that I need to care about. ;-)

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 12, 2005
              Excuse me as I misread your original statement, as John kindly reminded
              me, although I suspect that eCS 1.2 runs on the newest hardware, with
              the possible exception of those boxes with 'bleeding-edge' video, audio,
              etc.

              Sorin Srbu wrote as follows on 12/08/05 14:26:

              > Yeah, that's what I mean. I believe I wrote that just before going on
              > vacation, still on it for another two weeks. 8*)

              --
              Ciao,
              Kenn
              Always act as if life is a joyous journey. - Kenn Yuill
              __________ A Quote for Today __________
              Imagine the Creator as a stand up comedian and at once the world becomes
              explicable.
              - H.L. Mencken
              * TagZilla 0.057 * <http://tagzilla.mozdev.org>