DeScribe help needed

  • Julian Thomas
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2005
      I have a describe document to print business cards - 10 of them - on Avery
      Laser Business card stock, which has 5 rows of 2 cards.

      My cards are rotated, so the image is rotated if you look at an 8.5*11
      sheet in normal orientation.

      The Describe document is 11 inches across, and 8.5 down (adjusted for
      margins), with 5 cards across in each of 2 rows.

      Problem comes when it's time to print. If I select a printer the document
      gets reformatted to be 8.5" across. If I print on the default printer, it
      complains about the orientation of the document form being opposite of the
      printer form do I want to continue? If I do it prints 2 sheets, the first
      with 4 cards across in the wrong place and not rotated relative to the
      perfs on the stock.

      If I select a landscape printer definition, the document display is hacked
      down to 8.5" across and it would print onto a second page.

      This *USED* to work for me - problem may be related to installing a new
      Laser printer (LJ1200) but I saved the LJ4P printer definitions which also
      work with this printer, and there's no difference.

      I found an older version of the file on a W4 machine that prints OK;
      moving it to my machine and it still prints OK. It uses a landscape
      printer definition.

      ???

      --
      Julian Thomas: jt@... http://jt-mj.net
      In the beautiful Finger Lakes Wine Country of New York State!
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2005
        In <200505012106.j41L6nL30073@...>, on 05/01/2005
        at 05:12 PM, "Julian Thomas" <jt@...> said:

        Hi Julian

        >I have a describe document to print business cards - 10 of them - on
        >Avery Laser Business card stock, which has 5 rows of 2 cards.

        >My cards are rotated, so the image is rotated if you look at an 8.5*11
        >sheet in normal orientation.

        >The Describe document is 11 inches across, and 8.5 down (adjusted for
        >margins), with 5 cards across in each of 2 rows.

        >Problem comes when it's time to print. If I select a printer the
        >document gets reformatted to be 8.5" across. If I print on the default
        >printer, it complains about the orientation of the document form being
        >opposite of the printer form do I want to continue? If I do it prints 2
        >sheets, the first with 4 cards across in the wrong place and not rotated
        >relative to the perfs on the stock.

        >If I select a landscape printer definition, the document display is
        >hacked down to 8.5" across and it would print onto a second page.

        >This *USED* to work for me - problem may be related to installing a new
        >Laser printer (LJ1200) but I saved the LJ4P printer definitions which
        >also work with this printer, and there's no difference.

        >I found an older version of the file on a W4 machine that prints OK;
        >moving it to my machine and it still prints OK. It uses a landscape
        >printer definition.

        >???

        Since you are LASER printer, I am wondering if your
        problem could be the driver and form configuration /
        orientation?

        When you go into the driver printer configuration(?),
        how many orientations do you have?

        Two? Portrait
        Landscape

        Three? Portrait
        Landscape
        Rotated Landscape

        If you only have TWO, trying going to the IBM printer
        drivers and download the "Laser Omni" for your laser
        printer and see if your choices don't change to THREE.

        HTH

        --
        This message was sent to you by: Don(ald) O. Woodall
        Shooting electrons at you from Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2005
          In <200505012237.j41MbVSX020120@...>, on 05/01/05
          at 06:31 PM, "Don{ald} O. Woodall"<dlswoodall@...> typed:

          > Two? Portrait
          > Landscape

          > Three? Portrait
          > Landscape
          > Rotated Landscape

          > If you only have TWO, trying going to the IBM printer
          >drivers and download the "Laser Omni" for your laser
          >printer and see if your choices don't change to THREE.

          Don{ald} - MANY THANKS. That was exactly the problem. The drivers I had
          on this system were apparently broken; the ones on the W4 system were even
          older but not broken. I installed new drivers and now get the rotated LS
          choice.

          Thanks again!

          --
          Julian Thomas: jt@... http://jt-mj.net
          In the beautiful Finger Lakes Wine Country of New York State!
          -- --
          Blessed are the pessimists, for they have made backups.