Fraud warning!

  • Kris Steenhaut
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 18, 2005
      [Mod pet on]

      Hello everybody,

      I got 5 minutes ago a message which is a clear attempt to fraud. I'll pass it here in order to prevent our members to fall into this trap.

      So people if you would get a message like this, please DON'T click on the link provided in the message, DON'T EVEN THINK TO CLICK ON IT!

      Anyway, to prevent anybody would do anything foolish, I've removed the link from the message. The message seems to come from: sender Address Domain - bart.microterra.net, probably a hoax too. I also can see it has passed through "SPAMCOP", so, or the latter is not reliable or is a link in the fraud itself.

      *************begin message***********************

      Dear Kris.steenhaut@...,

      PayPal is committed to maintaining a safe environment for its community of
      buyers and sellers. To protect the security of your account, PayPal employs
      some of the most advanced security systems in the world and our anti-fraud
      teams regularly screen the PayPal system for unusual activity.

      Recently, our Account Review Team identified some unusual activity in your
      account. In accordance with PayPal's User Agreement and to ensure that your
      account has not been compromised, access to your account was limited. Your
      account access will remain limited until this issue has been resolved. This
      is a fraud prevention measure meant to ensure that your account is not
      compromised.

      Our records indicate the social security number registered to your PayPal
      account doesn't belong to you.

      For that reason we are requiring additional information in order to correct
      the social security number on your account.

      Case ID Number: PP-062-604-176
      We encourage you to log in and restore full access as soon as possible.
      Should access to your account remain limited for an extended period of
      time, it may result in further limitations on the use of your account or
      may result in eventual account closure.
      To speed up this process, you are required to verify your PayPal account
      by following the link below:

      ********REMOVED BY ME!*************

      Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand
      that this is a security measure meant to help protect you and your
      account. We apologize for any inconvenience. Sincerely, PayPal Account
      Review Department PayPal Email ID PP522

      [mod pet off]

      --
      Groeten uit Gent,

      Kris
    • Robert M Riddle
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 18, 2005
        You should forward these messages to eBay (PayPal); they never do
        anything like this. I have received these messages too.