OT: Super one-day deal on OS/2 fonts et al

  • Dr. Jeffrey Race
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 10, 2004
      At 11:11 on 11/11 <http://www.softmaker.de/order1_en.php4?curr=usd>
      will sell for one day all its products at US$11.11. This includes
      a "10,000 font CD" of (presumably Postscript) fonts installable on
      OS/2. Also offered is small wordprocessor TextMaker 2002 which runs
      on Linux and Windows (so presumably on VPC, SVista or Odin, not
      tested) and which allows easy import and editing of Word files. It
      is reportedly configurable to other keybindings (for me it is of
      interest because it can be configured like WordStar).

      Have a look. Anyone who knows more than I about these offerings
      pls report back.

      Jeffrey Race
    • Dr. Martin R. Hadam
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 11, 2004
        On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:22:13 -0500, Dr. Jeffrey Race wrote:

        >At 11:11 on 11/11 <http://www.softmaker.de/order1_en.php4?curr=usd>
        >will sell for one day all its products at US$11.11. This includes
        >a "10,000 font CD" of (presumably Postscript) fonts installable on
        >OS/2.

        The CD is ok, the fonts are good (lot of them derived from URW which
        has also contributed many to the OpenSource community) - BUT all of
        them are TRUETYPE only. Please note that this collection (with a
        slightly differing name) previously contained all fonts in both
        flavours - PS and TT. The change was about two years ago. But what is
        available today features only truetype.

        Instead, I'd rather suggest keeping an eye on eBay. With more and more
        people moving to MacOS X there's a need for them to upgrade their Adobe
        FontFolio Collection as well. Since FontFolio always contain both a Mac
        and Windows version of all fonts (i.e. two CDROMs), it's much more
        useful and last not least, it's *much* superior to the above
        collection. Almost exactly one year ago, I purchased a FontFolio v7 at
        USD 90 (so it not totally out of reach). That was pretty lucky - but
        not a once in a lifetime situation. I've also auctioned a v8 sometime
        later.

        FontFolio v7 one had both PFB and AFM files on CDROM and is thus
        directly useable on OS/2. With FontFolio v8, the Windows CDROM doesn't
        contain the AFM files any more BUT they can be downloaded for free from
        Adobe (don't have the URL at hand bit if needed I can check it). Once
        downloaded, those fonts do fine as well on OS/2. If you then get a copy
        of Adobe Type Manager for Windows (I think it was #3) you can even use
        the included Multiple Master Fonts on Windows. Only downside that
        applies to all of the older collections is their lack of the EURO
        symbol.

        Martin

        Martin R. Hadam
        Kinderklinik - Medizinische Hochschule