Two related WordPerfect Questions

  • scriabines_cat
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2003
      Hello:

      I am now the proud owner of two HP320 Deskjet portable printers.
      However, due to the size and limited flexibility of this model, I
      would like to move to what I think Kris Steenhaut (please forgive me
      if I butchered the spelling of your name) called WP6.1b for Windows.
      He said it was much more stable than the original release and allows
      the user to "emulate" WP5.1 DOS while making available WordPerfect
      printer drivers for more advanced printers. My two problems are:

      1. How do I know if a copy of WP6.1 for Windows (what about 6.1 for
      DOS) on eBay is "6.1b" from the packaging, etc. When I ask sellers
      they don't seem to have a clue.

      2. What is the most advanced and portable printer available for
      WP6.1b?

      TIA,

      Mark

      Mark Henigan
      --
    • debu4335@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2003
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2003
          ** Reply to message from "scriabines_cat" <driven_zen@...> on
          Sat, 01 Nov 2003 22:35:33 -0000

          Saturday, November 01, 203

          Hi Mark!

          Skip WPWin6 altogether. Get WPWin 7.0 for Win3x and then apply the
          patch for it from the Corel FTP site.

          Phil

          ===========================

          (Rev.) Philip Griffin-Allwood, Ph.D.
          Kentville, Kings County, Nova Scotia, Canada
          pgaga@...
          http://www.glinx.com/~grifwood
        • Kris Steenhaut
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 1, 2003
            scriabines_cat schreef:

            >if I butchered the spelling of your name) called WP6.1b for Windows.
            >He said it was much more stable than the original release and allows
            >the user to "emulate" WP5.1 DOS while making available WordPerfect

            I wouldn't dream of recommending anything Windy. :-)

            What I recommended was WP6.0c or even better WP6.2 Dos.

            >2. What is the most advanced and portable printer available for
            >WP6.1b?

            http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/printers6x.html
            <http://www.columbia.edu/%7Eem36/wpdos/printers6x.html>

            I you don't mind to send me your address privately, I'll send you a CD
            with 6.2 Dos and 6.1 Windy

            --
            Groeten uit Gent,

            Kris
          • Mark Henigan
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 1, 2003
              debu4335@... wrote:
> [...]
              I meant to type WP6.1b, as distinguished from 6.1a.

              > Version 7 for Windows 3.1 is even better under OS/2. I've tried both.

              I think I may have a copy of Version 7 as part a CD of Corel Suite. I
              don't believe it allowed me to pretend I was in WP5.1 DOS, i.e., text
              screen for entry and a "view document" screen as a print preview. But,
              I could take another look. Also, I just received another post, from
              Phillip Griffin-Allwood, that supports your contention.

              > I still prefer 6.2 for DOS (but good luck finding one of those).

              Is that 6.2 or 5.2 for DOS? Jeffrey Race, whom I had the privilege of
              meeting at Warpstock, has a copy of v 5.2 that I could purchase.

              The OS/2 version 5.2 (?) was truly sad.

              >>(what about 6.1 for DOS)
              >

              > It'll say "6.1" on the box.

              But it won't say "6.1a" or "6.1b." :-<

              I'll look for my v. 7 CD.

              Well, I have taken so long typing this that Kris has replied, corrected
              my inaccurate recollection (I should have checked my older archive, but
              it's under NS461Comm), and offered to send a copy of 6.2 for DOS. I
              will accept his offer.

              Thanks for your thoughts and any further you might have to offer.

              - Mark

              Mark Henigan
              --
            • Mark Klebanoff
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 1, 2003
                I second that. I have WP 7 for Windoze 3.1 running in a seamles window under
                WINOS/2. It works so well that except for the restriction to 8.3 file names I would have
                guessed it was a native OS/2 program

              • debu4335@earthlink.net
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 1, 2003
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 1, 2003
                    Well if anyone is interested I have a copy for sale of WPWin 5.2 and also WordStar 5.5 for DOS.
                    Contact me off list.

                    Jeffrey Race

                    On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 17:40:22 -0500, debu4335@... wrote:

> [...]
                  • Mark Henigan
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 1, 2003
                      debu4335@... wrote:
> [...]

                      Now, you're talking!

                      >>Is that 6.2 or 5.2 for DOS?
                      >

                      > Definitely 6.2. I got it directly from Corel, just before they pulled the
                      > plug on WPDOS development. Best damn word processor I've ever seen. I wish
                      > Corel would release the source...

                      As is now apparent, the v5.2 was for Win16 rather than DOS. Sorry about
                      the mis-identification...

                      WP6.2 DOS sounds like what I need. And, as far as releasing the source
                      code, I have a feeling that there are still vast numbers of people using
                      WP5.1 through 6.2 in less visible business settings and in countries
                      less able to practice the conspicuous comsumption that has characterized
                      corporations in the US. For that reason, it would seem to be profitable
                      to continue to support, or at least protect, the 10-year-old code in
                      those programs. I wouldn't be surprised to find that Corel still earns
                      quite a bit this way, in a fashion similar to IBM's maintenance of OS/2
                      for its corporate customers. Does anyone on the list know whether this
                      is the case?

                      >>Jeffrey Race, whom I had the privilege of meeting at Warpstock,
                      >>has a copy of v 5.2 that I could purchase.
                      >

                      > I didn't know they'd released a 5.2 for DOS.

                      Win 3.1, sorry about that.

                      <snip>
                      >>But it won't say "6.1a" or "6.1b." :-<
                      >

                      > Probably not. But patches are still available, aren't they?

                      They may be. However, when I sought patches and upgrades for 5.1 DOS,
                      Corel in this country wouldn't even answer my queries about 5.1+ and
                      6.1. This was odd because Corel in Germany was still selling those
                      versions, not just supplying patches.

                      >>offered to send a copy of 6.2 for DOS. I will accept his offer.
                      >

                      > Please do. There's nothing like it.
                      >

                      >>Thanks for your thoughts and any further you might have to offer.
                      >

                      > My only other advice:
                      >
                      > Go to http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/ and devour it.

                      Yes, I've spent quite a lot of time there. It's a terrific site.

                      > Find a copy of Gordon McComb's book on WPDOS 6 macro writing. I think it
                      > was called "WordPerfect 6 Power Tools" or something like that.

                      Will do! I'll check eBay and Amazon. Thanks for the help, everyone!

                      Mark

                      Mark Henigan
                      --
                    • Mark Abramowitz
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 1, 2003
                        In <3FA49369.1040505@...>, on 11/01/03
                        at 09:17 PM, Mark Henigan <driven_zen@...> said:

                        >For that reason, it would seem to be profitable
                        >to continue to support, or at least protect, the 10-year-old code in
                        >those programs. I wouldn't be surprised to find that Corel still earns
                        >quite a bit this way, in a fashion similar to IBM's maintenance of OS/2
                        >for its corporate customers. Does anyone on the list know whether this
                        >is the case?

                        WordPerfect is still the standard in many law offices. Many governmental
                        law offices still use older versions, though many have upgraded. My wife
                        used 5.2 in her office until the last year or two.

                        "Mark Abramowitz"<marka@...>
                      • Mark Henigan
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 2, 2003
                          Mark Abramowitz wrote:
                          > In <3FA49369.1040505@...>, on 11/01/03
                          > at 09:17 PM, Mark Henigan <driven_zen@...> said:
                          >

                          >>For that reason, it would seem to be profitable
                          >>to continue to support, or at least protect, the 10-year-old code in
                          >>those programs. I wouldn't be surprised to find that Corel still earns
                          >>quite a bit this way, in a fashion similar to IBM's maintenance of OS/2
                          >>for its corporate customers. Does anyone on the list know whether this
                          >>is the case?
                          >

                          > WordPerfect is still the standard in many law offices. Many governmental
                          > law offices still use older versions, though many have upgraded. My wife
                          > used 5.2 in her office until the last year or two.

                          There are also still a few medical transcriptionists who use a WP DOS
                          version.

                          I guess concerns about stability and privacy have made "upgrading" a
                          moot point. How can you upgrade when you're already at the summit. :->

                          Thanks for the information.

                          Take care,

                          Mark

                          Mark Henigan