Re: [os2wp] Wordperfect 5.1 DOS - Canon BJ portable printer driver

  • driven zen
    Message 1 of 10 , May 4, 2003
      Hello Kris:

      Many thanks!

      Unfortunately, I cannot boast ever having had a
      European address. I'm in California, not far from
      Silicon Valley (about 90 minutes on the highway).

      I have purchased two HP320 printers with cut sheet
      feeders from eBay sellers, each for under $60. At
      first, they didn't print the lines in tables, but
      are now doing impressively well with most source
      material, since I worked on the driver installation
      and configuration process in detail, with the
      exception of a few special characters that aren't
      absolutely necessary, and line spacing in a few
      spots that I can work around.

      It has given me much needed flexibility. If I have
      one complaint about the printer, it is that the ink
      runs when wet, even after a prolonged period, a
      problem I never had with laser printers. Of course
      no laser printer is as portable as the 320, so it's
      "no contest."

      Thanks again!

      Mark

      Mark Henigan
      --

      Kris Steenhaut wrote:

      > driven zen schreef:
      >
      > > Hello Kris:
      > >
      > > HP would be fine, so long as the printer is quite
      > > portable and doesn't require a graphics-style driver.
      > > Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look!
      > >

      > I did the suggestion as afaik there might be quite a few at Ebay. I have one
      > spare, btw, but you don't live in Europe, do you?
      >
      > btw: the younger hp340 doesn't print to Dos, so it's definitely a 320 you
      > should be looking for.
      >
      > --
      > Groeten uit Gent,
      >
      > Kris

    • Patrick West
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 9, 2003
        --- In os2wp@yahoogroups.com, Kris Steenhaut <kris.steenhaut@h...>
        wrote:

        > spare, btw, but you don't live in Europe, do you?
        >

        > btw: the younger hp340 doesn't print to Dos, so it's definitely a
        > 320 you should be looking for.

        Kris,

        I have an HP 340 Deskjet printer. I print in DOS to it from
        WordPerfect 5.1 on a regular basis. I also have the IR Adapter for
        it and I am able to print from WP5.1 using the irport on my dos
        based 100lx palmtop.

        Patrick
      • driven zen
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 11, 2003
          Hello Patrick:

          What driver are you using? I would love to be
          able to dispense with packing the parallel port
          cable due to its bulk, although I wouldn't want
          to decrease the rate of data transmission to
          that of a serial port printer. I'm guessing
          that, despite the use of a few signals from the
          printer to the computer, the printer does not
          make use of full IEEE-1284 capabilities. The
          manuals do not compare printing speed of the
          parallel port to the IrDA interface. Anyway,
          the latest model for which I can find a WP
          driver is the 320.

          I'm also considering again attempting to find a
          copy of WP 6.1b for Win3.1 so that I could use
          a newer and much less bulky printer than the HP
          300 series while still having the high quality
          of a WP driver.

          Please let me know your thoughts on these topics.

          TIA,

          Mark

          Mark Henigan
          --

          Patrick West wrote:

          > --- In os2wp@yahoogroups.com, Kris Steenhaut <kris.steenhaut@h...>
          > wrote:
          > >

          > > spare, btw, but you don't live in Europe, do you?
          > >

          > > btw: the younger hp340 doesn't print to Dos, so it's definitely a
          > > 320 you should be looking for.
          >
          > Kris,
          >
          > I have an HP 340 Deskjet printer. I print in DOS to it from
          > WordPerfect 5.1 on a regular basis. I also have the IR Adapter for
          > it and I am able to print from WP5.1 using the irport on my dos
          > based 100lx palmtop.
          >
          > Patrick

        • Philip Griffin-Allwood
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 11, 2003
            ** Reply to message from driven zen <drivnzen@...> on Fri, 11
            Jul 2003 05:23:37 -0700

            Friday 11 July 2003

            > I'm also considering again attempting to find a
            > copy of WP 6.1b for Win3.1 so that I could use
            > a newer and much less bulky printer than the HP
            > 300 series while still having the high quality
            > of a WP driver.

            Look for WPWin7.0 for Win3x. I found mine gathering dust on a shelf in
            small computer builder's shop.

            All my DOS printing (WordStar) is done using GUI printer drivers. I
            use Postscript printer drivers, which create PS files which are then
            interpreted by Ghostscript before printing. On Windows systems
            printing is done with the default printer driver, while Warp uses GS
            itself. Thanks to the Linux world, GS stays current with printers. I
            have one printer driver which emulates an HP Laser 4000 on any
            inkjet/deskjet and my Default driver has the following fonts:

            ArialM Md ... ? Avant Garde ... ? Baxter Rm ... ? Bodoni Bd ...
            Bookman ... ? Broadw Rm ... ? Brush MdI ... ? CasOpe Lt ...
            CooBla Bl ... ? Courier ... ? DomCas Md ... ? EuroF Md ...
            FraGot ... ? GilSan Rg ... ? Greek Md ... ? Hebrw Md ...
            Helv Narrow ... ? Helvetica ... ? Hobo Md ... ? Kaufma MdI ...
            LetGot Md ... ? LtsWPF Md ... ? N Cntry Schl ... ? NewGot Md ...
            Palatino ... ? ParAve Rm ... ? Parisi Md ... ? Perptu Rg ...
            ShellA MdI ... ? Stenci Bd ... ? Symbol ... ? Times ...
            TnrMT Rm ... ? Utopia Bl ... ? VAGRou Th ... ? Wngdng Rg ...
            Zpf Chancery ... ? Zpf Dingbats ... ?

            Of course to use this method, you need the Type1 fonts on your system.
            In the case of the HP4000 emuation, the PS fonts come with GS, while HP
            has the PCL fonts available on their site (released for the OS/2
            community).

            Phil

            ===========================

            (Rev.) Philip Griffin-Allwood, Ph.D.
            Kentville, Kings County, Nova Scotia, Canada
            pgaga@...
            http://www.glinx.com/~grifwood
          • Patrick West
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 13, 2003
              I'm just using an old Deskjet 500 driver. For the Infrared I am
              using the Jeteye drivers.

              <http://www.palmtop.net/anonftp/pub/dj346en.zip>

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/