Wordperfect 5.1 DOS - Canon BJ portable printer driver

  • driven zen
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 18, 2003
      Hello:

      Another printer driver question: For WP5.1 for DOS,
      is there a Canon portable bubble jet (black only
      printing is fine) with a native DOS driver? It
      doesn't matter if the printer is a discontinued
      model. I'd get one on eBay.

      TIA,

      Mark

      Mark Henigan
      Modesto CA
      --
    • Kris Steenhaut
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 18, 2003
        driven zen schreef:

        > Hello:
        >
        > Another printer driver question: For WP5.1 for DOS,
        > is there a Canon portable bubble jet (black only
        > printing is fine) with a native DOS driver? It
        > doesn't matter if the printer is a discontinued
        > model. I'd get one on eBay.

        Must it be a Canon? You would have better luck with an HP 320 imho.

        --
        Groeten uit Gent,

        Kris
      • Philip Griffin-Allwood
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 19, 2003
          Wednesday 19 March 2003

          For WordStar DOS users I have customized the HP printer drivers for the
          DeskJet and LaserJet to use code page 858, the version of 858 with the
          Euro. The dotlessi (D5) is replaced with the Euro.

          http://www.glinx.com/~grifwood/HP_EURO.ZIP

          To determine if your HP printer has code page 858 go to Edward
          Mendelsen's WordPerfect site (http://www.wpdos.org) and use the
          EuroTest.prn file found there.

          I have successfully used the driver with two Deskjets, 832c and 990cxi.

          Phil

          ===========================

          (Rev.) Philip Griffin-Allwood, Ph.D.
          Brooklyn, Queens County, and Kentville, Kings County, Nova Scotia, Canada
          pgaga@...
          http://www.glinx.com/~grifwood
        • driven zen
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 21, 2003
            Hello Kris:

            HP would be fine, so long as the printer is quite
            portable and doesn't require a graphics-style driver.
            Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look!

            - Mark
            --

            Kris Steenhaut wrote:

            > driven zen schreef:
            >
            > > Hello:
            > >
            > > Another printer driver question: For WP5.1 for DOS,
            > > is there a Canon portable bubble jet (black only
            > > printing is fine) with a native DOS driver? It
            > > doesn't matter if the printer is a discontinued
            > > model. I'd get one on eBay.
            > >

            > Must it be a Canon? You would have better luck with an HP 320 imho.
            >
            > --
            > Groeten uit Gent,
            >
            > Kris

          • Kris Steenhaut
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 21, 2003
              driven zen schreef:

              > Hello Kris:
              >
              > HP would be fine, so long as the printer is quite
              > portable and doesn't require a graphics-style driver.
              > Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look!

              I did the suggestion as afaik there might be quite a few at Ebay. I have one
              spare, btw, but you don't live in Europe, do you?

              btw: the younger hp340 doesn't print to Dos, so it's definitely a 320 you
              should be looking for.

              --
              Groeten uit Gent,

              Kris
            • driven zen
              Message 6 of 10 , May 4 2:43 PM
                Hello Kris:

                Many thanks!

                Unfortunately, I cannot boast ever having had a
                European address. I'm in California, not far from
                Silicon Valley (about 90 minutes on the highway).

                I have purchased two HP320 printers with cut sheet
                feeders from eBay sellers, each for under $60. At
                first, they didn't print the lines in tables, but
                are now doing impressively well with most source
                material, since I worked on the driver installation
                and configuration process in detail, with the
                exception of a few special characters that aren't
                absolutely necessary, and line spacing in a few
                spots that I can work around.

                It has given me much needed flexibility. If I have
                one complaint about the printer, it is that the ink
                runs when wet, even after a prolonged period, a
                problem I never had with laser printers. Of course
                no laser printer is as portable as the 320, so it's
                "no contest."

                Thanks again!

                Mark

                Mark Henigan
                --

                Kris Steenhaut wrote:

                > driven zen schreef:
                >
                > > Hello Kris:
                > >
                > > HP would be fine, so long as the printer is quite
                > > portable and doesn't require a graphics-style driver.
                > > Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look!
                > >

                > I did the suggestion as afaik there might be quite a few at Ebay. I have one
                > spare, btw, but you don't live in Europe, do you?
                >
                > btw: the younger hp340 doesn't print to Dos, so it's definitely a 320 you
                > should be looking for.
                >
                > --
                > Groeten uit Gent,
                >
                > Kris

              • Patrick West
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 9, 2003
                  --- In os2wp@yahoogroups.com, Kris Steenhaut <kris.steenhaut@h...>
                  wrote:

                  > spare, btw, but you don't live in Europe, do you?
                  >

                  > btw: the younger hp340 doesn't print to Dos, so it's definitely a
                  > 320 you should be looking for.

                  Kris,

                  I have an HP 340 Deskjet printer. I print in DOS to it from
                  WordPerfect 5.1 on a regular basis. I also have the IR Adapter for
                  it and I am able to print from WP5.1 using the irport on my dos
                  based 100lx palmtop.

                  Patrick
                • driven zen
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 11, 2003
                    Hello Patrick:

                    What driver are you using? I would love to be
                    able to dispense with packing the parallel port
                    cable due to its bulk, although I wouldn't want
                    to decrease the rate of data transmission to
                    that of a serial port printer. I'm guessing
                    that, despite the use of a few signals from the
                    printer to the computer, the printer does not
                    make use of full IEEE-1284 capabilities. The
                    manuals do not compare printing speed of the
                    parallel port to the IrDA interface. Anyway,
                    the latest model for which I can find a WP
                    driver is the 320.

                    I'm also considering again attempting to find a
                    copy of WP 6.1b for Win3.1 so that I could use
                    a newer and much less bulky printer than the HP
                    300 series while still having the high quality
                    of a WP driver.

                    Please let me know your thoughts on these topics.

                    TIA,

                    Mark

                    Mark Henigan
                    --

                    Patrick West wrote:

                    > --- In os2wp@yahoogroups.com, Kris Steenhaut <kris.steenhaut@h...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >

                    > > spare, btw, but you don't live in Europe, do you?
                    > >

                    > > btw: the younger hp340 doesn't print to Dos, so it's definitely a
                    > > 320 you should be looking for.
                    >
                    > Kris,
                    >
                    > I have an HP 340 Deskjet printer. I print in DOS to it from
                    > WordPerfect 5.1 on a regular basis. I also have the IR Adapter for
                    > it and I am able to print from WP5.1 using the irport on my dos
                    > based 100lx palmtop.
                    >
                    > Patrick

                  • Philip Griffin-Allwood
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 11, 2003
                      ** Reply to message from driven zen <drivnzen@...> on Fri, 11
                      Jul 2003 05:23:37 -0700

                      Friday 11 July 2003

                      > I'm also considering again attempting to find a
                      > copy of WP 6.1b for Win3.1 so that I could use
                      > a newer and much less bulky printer than the HP
                      > 300 series while still having the high quality
                      > of a WP driver.

                      Look for WPWin7.0 for Win3x. I found mine gathering dust on a shelf in
                      small computer builder's shop.

                      All my DOS printing (WordStar) is done using GUI printer drivers. I
                      use Postscript printer drivers, which create PS files which are then
                      interpreted by Ghostscript before printing. On Windows systems
                      printing is done with the default printer driver, while Warp uses GS
                      itself. Thanks to the Linux world, GS stays current with printers. I
                      have one printer driver which emulates an HP Laser 4000 on any
                      inkjet/deskjet and my Default driver has the following fonts:

                      ArialM Md ... ? Avant Garde ... ? Baxter Rm ... ? Bodoni Bd ...
                      Bookman ... ? Broadw Rm ... ? Brush MdI ... ? CasOpe Lt ...
                      CooBla Bl ... ? Courier ... ? DomCas Md ... ? EuroF Md ...
                      FraGot ... ? GilSan Rg ... ? Greek Md ... ? Hebrw Md ...
                      Helv Narrow ... ? Helvetica ... ? Hobo Md ... ? Kaufma MdI ...
                      LetGot Md ... ? LtsWPF Md ... ? N Cntry Schl ... ? NewGot Md ...
                      Palatino ... ? ParAve Rm ... ? Parisi Md ... ? Perptu Rg ...
                      ShellA MdI ... ? Stenci Bd ... ? Symbol ... ? Times ...
                      TnrMT Rm ... ? Utopia Bl ... ? VAGRou Th ... ? Wngdng Rg ...
                      Zpf Chancery ... ? Zpf Dingbats ... ?

                      Of course to use this method, you need the Type1 fonts on your system.
                      In the case of the HP4000 emuation, the PS fonts come with GS, while HP
                      has the PCL fonts available on their site (released for the OS/2
                      community).

                      Phil

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 13, 2003
                        I'm just using an old Deskjet 500 driver. For the Infrared I am
                        using the Jeteye drivers.

                        <http://www.palmtop.net/anonftp/pub/dj346en.zip>

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/