Win-OS/2 problem

  • Philip Griffin-Allwood
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 5, 2002
      Addressed to: os2wp@yahoogroups.com
      os2user@yahoogroups.com

      Friday, July 5, 2002

      Hi all!

      I decided to check with both groups in case some one had experience with
      this problem.

      I finally updated my Warp System from a 487 to a IBM Personal Computer
      300GL--a Pentium 166 MXX with an on board Cirrus Logic video chip with
      32 meg of memory. I did my usual installation pattern by hooking the
      old system and new system together and transferring partitions. To make
      a long story short, I activated the OS/2 partition and did a maintenance
      installation of Warp 3 then did a Fixpack 40 application--and the
      system was up and running.

      Everything works great except for Win-OS/2--not a great problem for the
      system is now dual boot with Win95b, so I can boot for the occasions
      when I need Windows. But that is annoying.

      I thought the problem may have been the Win3x installation so I created
      a PCDOS7 boot and reinstalled Win3x. It runs fine.

      DOS VDMs work fine (I am using one to write this), but Win.com gives a
      Trap 000E when it start to load.

      Any ideas.

      Phil

      -- written in WordStar 7.0d and emailed with Post Road Mailer 3.0
    • tomleem7659
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 5, 2002
        --- In os2wp@y..., Philip Griffin-Allwood <pgaga@a...> wrote:
        > Addressed to: os2wp@y...
        > os2user@y...
        >
        > Friday, July 5, 2002
        >
        > Hi all!
        >
        > I decided to check with both groups in case some one
        > had experience with this problem.
        >
        > I finally updated my Warp System from a 487 to a IBM
        > Personal Computer 300GL--a Pentium 166 MXX with an on
        > board Cirrus Logic video chip with 32 meg of memory.
        > I did my usual installation pattern by hooking the
        > old system and new system together and transferring
        > partitions. To make a long story short, I activated
        > the OS/2 partition and did a maintenance installation of
        > Warp 3 then did a Fixpack 40 application--and the
        > system was up and running.
        >
        > Everything works great except for Win-OS/2--not a great
        > problem for the system is now dual boot with Win95b,
        > so I can boot for the occasions when I need Windows.
        > But that is annoying.
        >
        > I thought the problem may have been the Win3x installation
        > so I created a PCDOS7 boot and reinstalled Win3x. It runs
        > fine.
        >
        > DOS VDMs work fine (I am using one to write this), but
        > Win.com gives a Trap 000E when it start to load.
        >
        > Any ideas.
        >
        > Phil

        It is a group for 'Win-OS2' programs running with the newer
        drivers (that allow Win95+ programs to run with/in OS/2).
        It is a discussion group for 'all things OS/2'.

        TomLeeM
      • Philip Griffin-Allwood
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 5, 2002

          Friday, July 5, 2002

          Thanks to all who replied--especially for the creative ideas :-)

          In answer to the question, yes I tried SDD, but it would not install on
          my system, giving only a blank screen. The Cirrus chip was supposed to
          be supported, but no happiness.

          After reading the comments, I went one step further and reinstalled
          Win3.11 on top of Win3.x. Then I re-added the Win-OS/2 support. After
          that I reinstalled Fixpack 40.

          Since Win3.11 would not load under PCDOS using the Cirrus drivers (the
          ones from IBM's device site), I switched to SVGA and it ran.

          But back in OS/2, after this I still had the crash. I rebooted to
          PCDOS7 and checked the autoexec.bat and config.sys. I noticed that
          IFSHLP.SYS was being loaded. Back in OS/2, I added that DOS device to
          the Win-OS/2 load and there was no crash--the program just refused to
          load.

          Now I again installed the OS/2 Cirrus video drivers. This time Win-OS/2
          ran.

          The IFSHLP.SYS dealt with the Trap 000E and the order of installation
          dealt with the video problem.

          After the notes I received I checked for Win3x drivers and found some
          which I will install and hopefully not break what is now fixed.

          By the way, I have been using Acronis OS Selector for my multi boot.
          OS/2 is my primary boot--but the C drive has three boots, Win95b, Win95
          command line, and PSDOS 7 for testing Win3.11. The OS/2 drive has the
          default boot and one which lets me check the setup I had on my 487 (one
          sometimes forgets all those icon settings). I also have a Maintenance
          boot.

          Thanks to all for your input.

          Phil

          -- written in WordStar 7.0d and emailed with Post Road Mailer 3.0
        • Steven Levine
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 5, 2002
            In <200207051245.JAA08728@...>, on 07/05/02
            at 09:45 AM, Philip Griffin-Allwood <pgaga@...> said:

            >I thought the problem may have been the Win3x installation so I created
            >a PCDOS7 boot and reinstalled Win3x. It runs fine.

            >DOS VDMs work fine (I am using one to write this), but Win.com gives a
            >Trap 000E when it start to load.

            I always suspect video drivers in these situations. If you drop back to
            VGA, do WinOS2 sessions run? Can yo run full-screen WinOS2 sessions?

            Steven

            "Steven Levine" <steve53@...> MR2/ICE 2.31a #10183 Warp4/FP15/14.085_W4
            www.scoug.com irc.webbnet.org #scoug (Wed 7pm PST)
          • Philip Griffin-Allwood
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 7, 2002
              ** Reply to note from "Steven Levine" <steve53@...> Fri, 05
              Jul 2002 19:45:06 -0700

              Sunday, July 7, 2002

              Hi Steven!

              > I always suspect video drivers in these situations. If you drop back to
              > VGA, do WinOS2 sessions run? Can yo run full-screen WinOS2 sessions?

              The problem was video related and hard disk related--the IFHS.sys driver
              was key to getting things running properly.

              Things are still working much better. I had hoped the SDD drivers would
              work but my Cirrus chip appears to be one behind the one SDD uses.

              I have downloaded the Win3x drivers which I think will improve things.
              The driver IBM had on their device site comes with drivers which work,
              but cannot be set in Win-OS/2.

              I will take a closer look at SDD because I ran into my first program,
              WSedit, today which had a problem with the Cirrus video.

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 7, 2002
                In <200207080423.BAA00780@...>, on 07/08/02
                at 01:23 AM, Philip Griffin-Allwood <pgaga@...> said:

                >The problem was video related and hard disk related--the IFHS.sys driver
                >was key to getting things running properly.

                What's the IFHS.SYS driver? It's not one I'm familiar with. Nor is my
                copy of ConfigTool. :-)

                >Things are still working much better. I had hoped the SDD drivers would
                >work but my Cirrus chip appears to be one behind the one SDD uses.

                You might want to post the the SciTech news server. SciTech is pretty
                good about supporting most anything on the Pro version.

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 9, 2002
                  ** Reply to note from "Steven Levine" <steve53@...> Sun, 07
                  Jul 2002 23:10:34 -0700

                  Monday, July 8, 2002

                  Hi Steve!

                  > >The problem was video related and hard disk related--the IFHS.sys driver
                  > >was key to getting things running properly.
                  >
                  > What's the IFHS.SYS driver? It's not one I'm familiar with. Nor is my
                  > copy of ConfigTool. :-)

                  This is not an OS/2 tool, but a windows file management tool. Now that
                  I have Win-OS/2 working, the driver no longer seems to be needed. I
                  load in the DOS settings of the Win-OS/2 object. You may not have found
                  the reference because I was working from memory. The driver name is
                  IFSHLP.SYS.

                  > >Things are still working much better. I had hoped the SDD drivers would
                  > >work but my Cirrus chip appears to be one behind the one SDD uses.
                  >
                  > You might want to post the SciTech news server. SciTech is pretty
                  > good about supporting most anything on the Pro version.

                  I will do that. I was trying 7.0.3.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 9, 2002

                    Tuesday, July 9, 2002

                    As suggested, my Win-OS/2 problems turned out to be video driver
                    related. I have removed IFSHLP.SYS from my VDM Device settings without
                    any noticeable effect.

                    Last night I loaded the proper Win3x drivers for the video card, which I
                    had downloaded from the IBM site. They operate in a similar fashion to
                    the OS/2 driver I had installed. One gets a menu of settings, makes a
                    choice, then restarts the GUI to have them take effect.

                    The one glitch in setting them up was that they had to be installed from
                    a 16 bit DOS/Win3x boot. Not a problem, but it reinforced the need for
                    a DOS/Win3x boot if one is going to use OS/2.

                    The Win3x drivers also required a video setting addition to the Win-OS/2
                    Autoexec.bat.

                    But once installed they work perfectly with the OS/2 video driver.
                    Change the OS/2 setting and the Win-OS/2 settings are changed to conform
                    to them.

                    At this point, I am suspecting that part of my problem may have been
                    DSPRES.DLL. There is a warning about being careful about the version
                    being used on the drivers's IBM Device download page. When I reinstall
                    the driver now, I switch to VGA, then reinstall the fixpack, before
                    installing the video driver.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 19, 2002
                      --- In os2wp@y..., Philip Griffin-Allwood <pgaga@a...> wrote:
                      > Addressed to: os2wp@y...
                      > os2user@y...
                      >
                      > Friday, July 5, 2002
                      >
                      > Hi all!
                      >
                      > I decided to check with both groups in case some one had
                      > experience with this problem. ..
                      >

                      > DOS VDMs work fine (I am using one to write this), but
                      > Win.com gives a Trap 000E when it start to load.
                      >
                      > Any ideas.
                      >
                      > Phil

                      Have you tried submitting this question/problem
                      to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/odinusers ?
                      This group is for using Win type programs with
                      OS/2 using ODIN (updated Win32 for OS/2 - not a
                      Win-OS2 window but run Win programs in OS/2 [IIRC]).

                      TomLeeM
                    • Philip Griffin-Allwood
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 27, 2002
                        ** Reply to note from "tomleem7659" <tomleem7659@...> Fri, 19 Jul 2002 20:00:01 -0000

                        Saturday 27 July 2002

                        Hi TomLee!

                        > Have you tried submitting this question/problem
                        > to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/odinusers ?
                        > This group is for using Win type programs with
                        > OS/2 using ODIN (updated Win32 for OS/2 - not a
                        > Win-OS2 window but run Win programs in OS/2 [IIRC]).

                        Thanks for the idea, but the program is definitely a Win3x program. I
                        played with Odin in the early days, but have not done so recently.

                        The problem turned out to be video driver related, particularly a video
                        setting that needed to be included on the AutoExec.bat for the session.
                        It may have been related to the order in which I loaded files.

                        Phil
                      • tomleem7659
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 29, 2002
                          > Thanks for the idea, but the program is definitely a Win3x
                          > program. I played with Odin in the early days, but have
                          > not done so recently.

                          IIRC - ODIN is updated on a regular basis. You might
                          want to check if there are any updates (which is highly
                          probable).

                          > The problem turned out to be video driver related,
                          > particularly a video setting that needed to be
                          > included on the AutoExec.bat for the session.
                          > It may have been related to the order in which I loaded
                          > files.
                          >
                          > Phil

                          Were you able to get it working?

                          TomLeeM
                        • Philip Griffin-Allwood
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 29, 2002
                            ** Reply to message from "tomleem7659" <tomleem7659@...> on Mon, 29
                            Jul 2002 14:32:57 -0000

                            Tuesday, July 30, 2002

                            Hi TomLee!

                            > Were you able to get it working?

                            Yes. I finally got the proper drivers from the IBM site for Win3.11.
                            Now when I change the OS/2 screen size, Win-OS/2 automatically follows.

                            Phil

                            (Rev.) Philip Griffin-Allwood, Ph.D.
                            Kentville, Kings County, and Brooklyn, Queens County, Nova Scotia, Canada
                            pgaga@...
                            http://www.glinx.com/~grifwood

                            -- written in WordStar 7.0d