More RTF

  • Philip Griffin-Allwood
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2001
      Monday, December 3, 2001

      Since the discussion about DeScribe and RTF export, I have been playing
      with the Mastersoft RTF version 7x filters. I have updated my WSWin
      SaveAs macros (on Win9x systems a person can use them to save a file
      with a LFN--WSWin predates Win9x by a year). One of the macros uses
      KeyView Pro to open files that are not part of the Mastersoft filter set
      using RTF. In building the macro I had to give an option to use version
      5x of the macro. This was because, during my testing, version 7x
      sometimes the import would fail.

      To explore what was happening with the filter I exported small test
      files to ANSI and CodePage 850 with Describe and WSWin, since they use
      the same filter versions. The content of the files was five Euros
      (�5.00).

      When I tried to open the files in Lotus Word Pro 97 for Win3x, the
      DeScribe RTF files failed to import properly. Interestingly with
      WPWin7.1 for Win3x the files both opened and, surprisingly for some OS/2
      to Win3x file conversions, opened the DeScribe CodePage850 conversion
      with the Euro.

      When I tried the same tests with the files generated by WSWin. They
      opened in LWP without problem.

      When I looked at the files, those generated by WSWin were considerably
      smaller. The DeScribe files contain significantly more information.
      When I used Word for Word for Win3x to convert the WSWin file to a RTF
      file, it was larger than the DeScribe. Included in the information were
      all the fonts on the system.

      Whether the bug with Describes RTF export is in the Mastersoft filter or
      in the DeScribe's implementation of it, I cannot say. But there
      certainly is one in the OS/2 version which is not found in the Win3x
      version.

      One way around the bug may be to use replace the 7x version of the file
      with the 5x version (1994).

      Phil

      Philip G. A. Griffin-Allwood, Ph.D.
      Kentville, N.S., Canada