Re: Describe list still active.

  • Thomas Lee Mullins
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 9, 2001
      > Besides WordPro, I have used StarOffice 5.1a as well, but it
      > doesn't import the latest Word or Excel documents, as people
      > forget to use the 97 format and it becomes a bit of a PITA.
      > Hopefully, Serge Sterck is successful with his project of
      > using Odin to provide a functional SO 6.0 under OS/2 or just
      > its word processing module, as suggested by Dr. Martin R. Hadam.

      I heard that there is a Russion OS/2 team that is working on
      an OS/2 port of the open source of Star Office. It would be
      great if they succeed.
    • Kenn Yuill
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 10, 2001
        Hello Thomas Lee,

        Any more details about the programmers?
        I'll have to revisit the Russian TeamOS2 site.

        Excuse the salutation, as I didn't know whether you use Thomas, Tom or
        Lee.

        Ciao,
        Kenn
        The Original E-mail below, sent by Thomas Lee Mullins on Fri, 09 Nov
        2001 13:18:09 -0000 to os2wp@yahoogroups.com, stated:

        I heard that there is a Russion OS/2 team that is working on
        an OS/2 port of the open source of Star Office. It would be
        great if they succeed.
        Always act as if life is a joyous journey.
        Kenn Yuill Warp 4.0/FP10 Java 1.18
        PMMail/2 2.1 Demo. Communicator 4.61
        The Beautiful Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
        - A Thought for Today -
        "Nurture your mind with great thoughts, for you will never go any
        higher than you think." - Benjamin Disraeli
      • John Drabik
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 10, 2001
          On Sun, 11 Nov 2001 08:37:39 -0500 (EST), woozle@... wrote:

          >Just curious here, but has/does anyone on this list use Sundial's
          >Clearlook wordprocessor?

          From time to time, for small docs, but mainly I use DeScribe. I have
          a few other WPs too, and use them occasionally, including WP6, and
          StarOffice, Applix, and AbiWord (those last two on Linux).

          >whole, it's pretty low-key, possibly even stagnant. Version 2.0 has
          >been announced for a long time, but developmental work seems to have
          >stopped since a long time ago.

          Well, it's always dangerous to count the Sundial folks out of the
          race ;-) Clearlook is small, fast, and easy to use. If that's what
          you need at some given moment, use it. On the other hand, for large
          docs, I think you still (after all these "stagnant" years) can't beat
          DeScribe. Oh how I'd like to see that one come back to life!

          >Any comparison to the current crop of OS/2 wordprocessors?

          Small, fast, easy, and with a *reasonable* chance of a future.
          Except for StarOffice ports (if they ever get the beastie running),
          it's the only one on the OS/2 list with a future. OTOH, DeScribe is
          still pretty amazing.

          John
        • woozle@tfz.net
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 11, 2001
            Hi,

            Just curious here, but has/does anyone on this list use Sundial's
            Clearlook wordprocessor?

            There were a couple of reviews in OS2ezine some time ago, but on the
            whole, it's pretty low-key, possibly even stagnant. Version 2.0 has
            been announced for a long time, but developmental work seems to have
            stopped since a long time ago.

            Any comparison to the current crop of OS/2 wordprocessors?

            Nick
          • Thomas Lee Mullins
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 13, 2001
              --- In os2wp@y..., "Kenn Yuill" <kenn.yuill@s...> wrote:
              > Hello Thomas Lee,
              >
              > Any more details about the programmers?
              > I'll have to revisit the Russian TeamOS2 site.
              >
              > Excuse the salutation, as I didn't know whether you use
              > Thomas, Tom or Lee.
              >
              > Ciao,
              > Kenn
              I don't have anymore details about the programmers. I will
              look into to it and see if there is more information.

              'Thomas', 'Tom' or 'Tom Lee' are all fine. I don't have a
              big preference (as long as it does not preceed a vulgarity
              :-D ).