Generating PDF Files from DeScribe

  • Hakan
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 2, 2001
      I'd like to generate PDF files from various DeScribe documents and have therefore begun experimenting with Ghostscript 6.50. Unfortunately the results so far have not been what I expect and need.

      I begun by simply saving a DeScribe file with multiple frames as a PS file and then converted that file into a PDF file using Ghostscript. Several problems were immediately evident; only text in the main text frame was saved in the PS file and therefore displayed in the PDF file, incorrect fonts were used, incorrect line spacing, no justification of text, the registered trademark character did not show.

      Surely there must be a better way of generating a PDF document (without resorting to running Distiller under Odin)?

      Comments and suggestions very much appreciated, thanks.

      Hakan
    • Hakan
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 2, 2001
        Martin,

        I will but will PMPDF address the problems I had converting a DeScribe file saved in PS format by DeScribe? I.e., not saving text from more than one frame, incorrect fonts and missing special characters, loss of justification and correct line spacing?

        Has anyone tried PMPDF using complex DeScribe documents?

        Hakan

        On Mon, 02 Apr 2001 20:11:56 +0100, Dr. Martin R. Hadam wrote:

        >On Mon, 02 Apr 2001 13:54:17 -0400 (EDT), Hakan wrote:
        >
        >>Surely there must be a better way of generating a
        >>PDF document (without resorting to running Distiller
        >>under Odin)?
        >
        > You should try the PMPDF port driver. It will install a PMPDF
        >"printer" which will generate PDF "on the fly". To do that, you'll need
        >Ghostscript (you got that already), the PMPDF package and Warpin to
        >install the latter. Both can be downloaded from os2netlabs. While the
        >output for PMPDF is essentially using the same tools that you've been
        >using, I hope the results will be somewhat better. At least, it's a
        >much more convenient one-step procedure.
        >
        > HTH
        >
        > Martin
        >

        > Martin R. Hadam
        > Kinderklinik - Medizinische Hochschule
        > D-30623 Hannover
        > Germany
        > Email: Hadam.Martin@...

      • Dr. Martin R. Hadam
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 2, 2001

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 2, 2001
            Hi Martin,

            I have already downloaded PMPDF from netlabs.org and tried to install it (did not bother with the WarpIn file). Ran into a problem though -- installing from the Port View of the Spooler gave me an error message on "Data area for system call too small" (or similar). I suspect this message is generated by OS/2 and *may* be a bug in the PMPDF port driver itself. I have just subscribed to the PMPDF mailing list so I will check for postings there.

            I do believe you are right re the shortcomings of the DeScribe PS export file format -- the text in one of the frames was not there, thus no chance that it might magically show up in the PDF file later.... Re the font issue, Ghostscript may have used its fonts instead of the Adobe PS fonts I have on my system and used for the document.

            The approach of a port drive seems much better in that: (1) would not rely on the PS export file format of DeScribe itself; and (2) would work with any application which can print to an OS/2 printer.

            Once I have installed the PMPDF port driver I assume I also have to install a Postscript printer driver to print to, right? Right now, I have only an HP LaserJet drive and the PMFax fax driver installed on the system.

            Hakan

            On Mon, 02 Apr 2001 21:10:55 +0100, Dr. Martin R. Hadam wrote:

            >On Mon, 02 Apr 2001 14:57:34 -0400 (EDT), Hakan wrote:
            >
            >>I will but will PMPDF address the problems I had converting a DeScribe file saved in PS format by DeScribe? I.e., not saving text from more than one frame, incorrect fonts and missing special characters, loss of justification and correct line spacing?
            >
            > Let me put the question the other way round: does your document
            >*print* (on paper) correctly from Describe? If so, I'd expect an
            >improvement since you're using the (generic) PS printer driver and not
            >Describe's built-in PS conversion routine (which may have some
            >limitations; but I do not know).
            >
            >>Has anyone tried PMPDF using complex DeScribe documents?
            >
            > I haven't tried on Describe; but I have converted other stuff
            >successfully that was pretty tough. Since you already have
            >Ghostscript/Ghostview installed, getting PMPDF to run is really a snap.
            >
            > Martin
            >

            > Martin R. Hadam
            > Kinderklinik - Medizinische Hochschule
            > D-30623 Hannover
            > Germany
            > Email: Hadam.Martin@...

          • Hakan
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 2, 2001
              Hi,

              >>I have already downloaded PMPDF from netlabs.org and tried to install it (did not bother with the WarpIn file). Ran into a problem though -- installing from the Port View of the Spooler gave me an error message on "Data area for system call too small" (or similar). I suspect this message is generated by OS/2 and *may* be a bug in the PMPDF port driver itself. I have just subscribed to the PMPDF mailing list so I will check for postings there.
              >
              > well, unless you are familiar with editing os2sys.ini using INImaint
              >(and knew what to enter there in the first place), I strongly advise
              >you to use the "official" install. While the earlier releases worked
              >just by simple copying of files, the latest version of PMPDF does a few
              >things more and thus requires the procedure. The critical new entry
              >compared to the earlier versions is in os2sys.ini application:
              >pm_port_driver key: PDFWRITE and the data required is the full path to
              >pdfwrite.pdr (but you should really do it the "regular" way).

              If you go to the spooler, select Open As Port View and right-click on one of the installed ports, you have the option of installing a new port driver. I set the path to where I have the PMPDF port driver and clicked OK. That's when I got the error message about the data area being too small.

              It seems to me this is the standard way of installing a new port driver and I would expect this procedure to update INI files etc. as needed. Anyway, I will try to glean information from the PMPDF mailing list.

              >>I do believe you are right re the shortcomings of the DeScribe PS export file format -- the text in one of the frames was not there, thus no chance that it might magically show up in the PDF file later.... Re the font issue, Ghostscript may have used its fonts instead of the Adobe PS fonts I have on my system and used for the document.
              >
              > Font handling will still be a problem; IIRC Ghostscript uses its own
              >bitmapped fonts so the pdf output will not be *identical* to the one
              >that you get with the orignal vector fonts.
              >
              >>The approach of a port drive seems much better in that: (1) would not rely on the PS export file format of DeScribe itself; and (2) would work with any application which can print to an OS/2 printer.
              >
              > yes.

              Hmm, I do not like what you say about not being able to use PS fonts installed on the machine -- seems like a serious shortcoming! Obviously there is a reason why I have chosen a particular font and I want the PDF document to use that particular font, not a substitution!

              Hakan
            • Dr. Martin R. Hadam
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 2, 2001

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 2, 2001
                  On Mon, 02 Apr 2001 15:31:00 -0400 (EDT), Hakan wrote:

                  >I have already downloaded PMPDF from netlabs.org and tried to install it (did not bother with the WarpIn file). Ran into a problem though -- installing from the Port View of the Spooler gave me an error message on "Data area for system call too small" (or similar). I suspect this message is generated by OS/2 and *may* be a bug in the PMPDF port driver itself. I have just subscribed to the PMPDF mailing list so I will check for postings there.

                  well, unless you are familiar with editing os2sys.ini using INImaint
                  (and knew what to enter there in the first place), I strongly advise
                  you to use the "official" install. While the earlier releases worked
                  just by simple copying of files, the latest version of PMPDF does a few
                  things more and thus requires the procedure. The critical new entry
                  compared to the earlier versions is in os2sys.ini application:
                  pm_port_driver key: PDFWRITE and the data required is the full path to
                  pdfwrite.pdr (but you should really do it the "regular" way).

                  >I do believe you are right re the shortcomings of the DeScribe PS export file format -- the text in one of the frames was not there, thus no chance that it might magically show up in the PDF file later.... Re the font issue, Ghostscript may have used its fonts instead of the Adobe PS fonts I have on my system and used for the document.

                  Font handling will still be a problem; IIRC Ghostscript uses its own
                  bitmapped fonts so the pdf output will not be *identical* to the one
                  that you get with the orignal vector fonts.

                  >The approach of a port drive seems much better in that: (1) would not rely on the PS export file format of DeScribe itself; and (2) would work with any application which can print to an OS/2 printer.

                  yes.

                  >Once I have installed the PMPDF port driver I assume I also have to install a Postscript printer driver to print to, right? Right now, I have only an HP LaserJet drive and the PMFax fax driver installed on the system.

                  I must admit, I never thought about that since I'm using a PS printer
                  myself (hence the driver is always there). Guess you should look that
                  up in the readme...

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 2, 2001
                    On Mon, 02 Apr 2001 16:05:01 -0400 (EDT), Hakan wrote:

                    > [...] It seems to me this is the standard way of installing a new port driver and I would expect this procedure to update INI files etc. as needed. Anyway, I will try to glean information from the PMPDF mailing list.

                    I know. But it did not work for me, either. I don't recall what went
                    wrong back then - suffice to say it did not work. Much later, when I
                    had some time I "hacked" it in using unimaint. I should also add that
                    PMPDF is more a workaround than a "real" port driver, thus the WarpIN
                    install routine makes sense. I share your aversion against using Warpin
                    <g> - but this is probably the only save way of doing it.

                    >Hmm, I do not like what you say about not being able to use PS fonts installed on the machine -- seems like a serious shortcoming! Obviously there is a reason why I have chosen a particular font and I want the PDF document to use that particular font, not a substitution!

                    This is a limitation with any current version of Ghostscript (PS/PDF
                    is owned by Adobe) and derived tools. As someone posted elsewhere a
                    while ago, the font problem is supposed to be fixed in one of the next
                    releases of Ghostscript.

                    Martin

                    Martin R. Hadam
                    Kinderklinik - Medizinische Hochschule
                    D-30623 Hannover
                    Germany
                    Email: Hadam.Martin@...
                  • Jan Hartman
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 2, 2001
                      Hakan,

                      I often create pdf-files from DeScribe, and it works very well.
                      I use the postscriptdriver for HP2100 which gives you 1200dpi.
                      I tell the driver to save as file to disk, give it a name, and I adjust it to
                      accept 999 fonts. When printing (not saving) a .ps file is created. I
                      then have Adobe Distiller 4.0 installed with Odin. This makes it
                      possible for me just to doubble-click on the .ps-file, and a pdf-file
                      is created.
                      Using GhostScript have always, by the way, caused trouble when
                      not using standard fonts and a resolution higher than 300 dpi. Perhaps
                      it is better now, I have not tried the latest versions.

                      Yours,

                      / Jan
                      Jan Hartman, Ph. D.
                      Filosofiska institutionen/Department of Philosophy
                      Lunds Universitet/Lund University
                      Kungshuset, LundagÄrd +46-(0)46 2223253
                      S-222 22 Lund fax +46-(0)46 2224424
                      Sweden
                      E-mail Jan.Hartman@...
                    • Philip Griffin-Allwood
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 2, 2001
                        ** Reply to note from "Hakan" <agents@...> Mon, 02 Apr 2001
                        13:54:17 -0400 (EDT)

                        Monday, April 2, 2001

                        Hi Hakan!

                        Martin has made good suggestions about creating PDF documents from
                        Describe. In fact I will try his PMPDF suggestion. Under WinMe, I use
                        FreePDF to create a similar effect and have been looking for an OS/2
                        means.

                        While I do not regularly use Describe, I can comment on creation of PDFs
                        using GS under OS/2. The latter I do regularly, that is daily.

                        > I'd like to generate PDF files from various DeScribe documents and have
                        > therefore begun experimenting with Ghostscript 6.50. Unfortunately the
                        > results so far have not been what I expect and need.

                        There are problems generating effective PS files from OS/2 Word
                        Processors. The problem lies with OS/2 use of Type3 fonts. When GS
                        goes to create a PDF file from an OS/2 generated PS file, it will not
                        create a PDF with the equivalent Type1 fonts, but create internal fonts.
                        This means a larger file, but usually not a loss of quality.

                        If you go to the EGroups/Yahoo List, you will find a similar discussion
                        there and an identification of the problem created with version 6x of
                        GS.

                        For generating PDF files created under OS/2 I keep GS5.5 on my system.
                        It will translate the basic PS fonts as Type1 fonts. I also have the
                        improved PS printer driver created by Peter Fitzsimmons (President,
                        A:WARE Inc., pfitz@..., Voice: 905-858-3222 Toronto Canada).

                        While both solutions help, they do not solve the problem. It has do
                        with how GS6x interpret fonts. The GS developers are aware of it, but
                        they have yet to solve it.

                        > I begun by simply saving a DeScribe file with multiple frames as a PS file and
                        > then converted that file into a PDF file using Ghostscript. Several problems
                        > were immediately evident; only text in the main text frame was saved in the PS
                        > file and therefore displayed in the PDF file, incorrect fonts were used,
                        > incorrect line spacing, no justification of text, the registered trademark
                        > character did not show.

                        The PS export from Describe is not a true file export, but a conversion
                        of the file to PS using the Mastersoft filter, w4w40t.dll. The same
                        filter also handles the HP PCL conversion. There are problems with this
                        export and Mastersoft had another PS conversion filter in BETA testing
                        at the time of its development suspension.

                        If you want to create a PS file from Describe, use a PS printer driver.

                        > Surely there must be a better way of generating a PDF document (without
                        > resorting to running Distiller under Odin)?

                        There are members of this List who use Win-OS/2 versions of Distiller to
                        great effect.

                        In my case, because of the Type3 font situation, I create my PS files in
                        either DOS or using AmiPro3 or Lotus Word Pro in a Win-OS/2 session.
                        While the files may be edited in OS/2 versions of the program, I open
                        them in Win-OS/2 before PS creation.

                        Whichever way you create the PS files (do not use the PS Mastersoft
                        export), creating PDFs using GSOS2.exe is simple.

                        One way, if you like giving unique filenames first, is to use GhostView.
                        This program permits one to use a multitude of settings for PDF
                        creation. I use it mostly for sending faxes from files created in
                        WordStar.

                        (Note most of my GS PDF creation is for WS files. Using a PS printer
                        driver for conversion of a file to PDF means I never had to worry about
                        whether a printer has resident fonts or not. My Web Site has
                        information about using GS, which is now in need of updating.)

                        While as I noted I do use GhostView, my most common means of creation is
                        through scripts. When I create a PS file, I give it a standard name (in
                        my came z:\ws.ps). I then use an object on my desktop to run a script
                        which converts z:\ws.ps to z:\ws.pdf. I check the file in Acrobat
                        Reader, then rename it if it is suitable. Here is the script:

                        ==========

                        /* Ghostscript 6.50 */
                        'j:\gs\gs6.50\bin\gsos2.exe -sFONTPATH=E:\PSFONTS;J:\GS\FONTS;J:\KEYFONT;C:\EMULASER\PSFONTS -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE#pdfwrite -r600 -sOutputFile#z:\ws.PDF -dCompatibilityLevel#1.2 -dPDFSETTINGS=/printer -c save pop -f z:\ws.PS'

                        ==========

                        Everything following 'j:\ is one line. Since my Type1 fonts are in a
                        number of different places, all there places are listed in the fontpath.
                        I have set the resolution to 600. The thing I added to the script after
                        going from 6.01 to 6.50 was -dPDFSETTINGS=/printer. Without the
                        setting, the PDF created is smaller, but there was some graphic loss.

                        I have an icon on the DeskTop set to this script and run it after
                        creating the PS file.

                        I also have a generic script:

                        ==========

                        /* Run Ghostscript 6.50 */
                        'j:\GS\gs6.50\bin\gsos2.exe -sFONTPATH=E:\PSFONTS;J:\GS\FONTS;J:\KEYFONT;C:\EMULASER\PSFONTS -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE#pdfwrite -r600 -sOutputFile#%1.PDF -dCompatibilityLevel#1.2 -dPDFSETTINGS=/printer -c save pop -f %1.PS'

                        ==========

                        This script is run from the command line with the input of the PS
                        filename without extensions. It creates a PDF file with the same name
                        as the PS file.

                        Those familiar with the Describe macro language can create a macro which
                        asks for a file name, saves the PS file with that name, then run the
                        Rexx script to convert the PS file to PDF.

                        Phil

                        -- written in WordStar 7.0d and emailed with Post Road Mailer 3.0

                        Philip G. A. Griffin-Allwood, Ph.D.
                        Kentville, N.S., Canada
                        pgaga@...
                        http://www.glinx.com/~grifwood/WordStar.html
                      • Hakan
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 2, 2001
                          John,

                          One of the remaining issues is that Ghostscript apparently cannot embed the PS fonts I have used to create my document but instead uses a replacement font due to limitations in Ghostscript itself. To me this is a showstopper since it negates one of the key reasons I would be using a PDF to begin with. Does GhostView solve this issue?

                          Hakan

                          On Tue, 03 Apr 2001 11:07:44 +0900 (EST), John Angelico wrote:

                          >On Mon, 02 Apr 2001 13:54:17 -0400 (EDT), Hakan wrote:
                          >
                          >>I'd like to generate PDF files from various DeScribe documents and have therefore begun experimenting with Ghostscript 6.50. Unfortunately the results so far have not been what I expect and need.
                          >>
                          >>I begun by simply saving a DeScribe file with multiple frames as a PS file and then converted that file into a PDF file using Ghostscript. Several problems were immediately evident; only text in the main text frame was saved in the PS file and therefore displayed in the PDF file, incorrect fonts were used, incorrect line spacing, no justification of text, the registered trademark character did not show.
                          >>
                          >>Surely there must be a better way of generating a PDF document (without resorting to running Distiller under Odin)?
                          >>
                          >>Comments and suggestions very much appreciated, thanks.
                          >>
                          >>Hakan
                          >
                          >Hello, Hakan and all.
                          >
                          >I haveread a lot of messages about problems with PMPDF but has anyone
                          >gone to www.ghostgum.com.au to get the shareware GSView which will do
                          >this job very smoothly?
                          >
                          >Download both GSView and Ghostscript (2 zips), then follow the
                          >instructions for installing GSView - it does a very smooth install of
                          >everything you will need. GSView is a neat native OS/2 front-end to
                          >Ghostscript.
                          >
                          >Then set up a PS printer with Save to Disk on, as someone already
                          >mentioned. Then GSView can be set up to automatically generate a pdf
                          >file from the intermediate output.
                          >
                          >I downloaded GSView and tried it, then registered online within 24
                          >hours - it was that good!
                          >
                          >Oh, and GSView also a better pdf viewer than the Acrobat OS/2 reader
                          >(which has some nasty Win code that kills my Win-OS2 sessions
                          >whenever I fire it up :( )
                          >
                          >AND it can extract text from a pdf (which was what I originally
                          >wanted it for)
                          >

                          >Best regards
                          >John Angelico
                          >OS/2 SIG
                          >talldad@... or talldad@...
                          >

                          >PMTagline v1.50 - Copyright, 1996-1997, Stephen Berg and John Angelico
                          >... I'm so hip I have trouble seeing over my pelvis. -- Zaphod

                        • Philip Griffin-Allwood
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 2, 2001
                            ** Reply to note from Philip Griffin-Allwood <pgaga@...> Mon, 2 Apr 2001 21:14:50 ADT

                            Monday 02 April 2001

                            > If you go to the EGroups/Yahoo List, you will find a similar discussion
                            > there and an identification of the problem created with version 6x of
                            > GS.

                            Opps . . . I left out the which EGroups/Yahoo List--the one for
                            Smartsuite OS/2.

                            Phil

                            Philip G. A. Griffin-Allwood, Ph.D.
                            Kentville, N.S., Canada
                            pgaga@...
                            http://www.glinx.com/~grifwood/WordStar.html
                          • John Angelico
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 2, 2001

                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 3, 2001
                                On Mon, 02 Apr 2001 21:14:18 -0400 (EDT), Hakan wrote:

                                >John,
                                >
                                >One of the remaining issues is that Ghostscript apparently cannot embed the PS fonts I have used to create my document but instead uses a replacement font due to limitations in Ghostscript itself. To me this is a showstopper since it negates one of the key reasons I would be using a PDF to begin with. Does GhostView solve this issue?
                                >
                                >Hakan

                                Ouch, Hakan that is a show-stopper!

                                I can't say for sure since I have much simpler documents in DeScribe
                                (or I haven't converted the complex ones yet <g>) so it may be worth
                                emailing the author: Dr Russell Lang at gsview@....

                                Best regards
                                John Angelico
                                OS/2 SIG
                                talldad@... or talldad@...

                                PMTagline v1.50 - Copyright, 1996-1997, Stephen Berg and John Angelico
                                ... World's Greatest Lie #4: "It'll be fixed in the NEXT release!"