Re: [os2wp] wordperfect dos vesa display

  • driven zen
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 1, 2001
      Kris Steenhaut wrote:

      > Thomas Parkhill schreef:
      >

      > > Sure. When I do this:
      > >
      > > shift+F1 --> 2 . Display --> 1. Graphics mode etc ...
      > > --> 1. Screen type --> select VESA VBE
      > >
      > > and then choose a resolution (say 800x600), the nothing
      > > happens to the screen, although the new setting appears
      > > in the Screen Type Graphics/Colors box.
      >
      > To sum up: select --> 1. --> Warning about yout monitot
      > --> F7 --> F7
      >
      > When returning to the WP screen, do you see something
      > something as "Automatic selecting" and you should before
      > ending in plain VGA? This is important, as if the message
      > is there then it is about hardware. If not, it's more
      > likely a system matter.
      >
      > > When I go to text mode then back to graphics mode, the
      > > setting has vanished, replaced now by the old VGA
      > > setting.
      >
      > So, look is the "automatic select" is there or isn't.
      >
      > > One question: Is your Matrox card using the same g400
      > > series chip?
      >
      > Didn't I tell already it's a Matrox Millennium AGP-200?
      > And video drivers here are SDD Pro beta 38, which I
      > recommend highly.
      >
      > So, I've uploaded to our Yahoo files section an archive of
      > *.set files, of which one you can use to load into the
      > Dos-properties. The readme has only about 20 lines, but
      > it is important, so, please read!
      >
      > IIRC, you're working with WPDos62, so load that
      > settingsfile, and I'm looking forward to your comments.

      Do you have a similar utility for WP51DOS?

      TIA,

      Mark Henigan
      --
    • Thomas Parkhill
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 4, 2001
        Since last I wrote about this problem, I've been doing some testing
        with the resources that Kris generously provided. And with the scitech
        display doctor pro beta 38. My conclusions are at the end of this
        message.

        Here is a brief recap of the problem:

        >> When I do this:
        >>
        >> shift+F1 --> 2 . Display --> 1. Graphics mode etc ... --> 1. Screen
        >> type --> select VESA VBE
        >>
        >> and then choose a resolution (say 800x600), the nothing happens to the
        >> screen, although the new setting appears in the Screen Type
        >> Graphics/Colors box.
        >
        >To sum up: select --> 1. --> Warning about yout monitot --> F7 --> F7
        >
        >When returning to the WP screen, do you see something something as "Automatic
        >selecting" and you should before ending in plain VGA? This is important, as if
        >the message is there then it is about hardware. If not, it's more likely a system
        >matter.

        I see no message, Kris. _Nothing_ happens.

        >> When I go to text mode then back to graphics
        >> mode, the setting has vanished, replaced now by the old VGA setting.
        >
        >So, look is the "automatic select" is there or isn't.

        The Display dialogue box says:

        1. Graphics Mode Screen Type/Colors... VGA 640x480 16 Color
        2. Text Mode Screen Type/Colors... Auto Selected

        There is no "automatic select" on the screen at any time.

        >> One question: Is your Matrox card using the same g400 series chip?
        >
        >Didn't I tell already it's a Matrox Millennium AGP-200? And video drivers here
        >are SDD Pro beta 38, which I recommend highly.
        >
        >So, I've uploaded to our Yahoo files section an archive of *.set files, of which
        >one you can use to load into the Dos-properties. The readme has only about 20
        >lines, but it is important, so, please read!
        >
        >IIRC, you're working with WPDos62, so load that settingsfile, and I'm looking
        >forward to your comments.

        I went through the wp62.set and wp6x.bat carefully, adapting what I
        could manually. I made the change in DOS_DMPI_API from "auto" to
        "enabled" for example. No change.

        Next, I downloaded (and registered) the SDD pro beta 38 drivers. I'd
        been using the Lite version and have wanted to upgrade for some time
        now. This was an excuse. In WordPerfect graphics mode, however: no
        change.

        So I saved my WordPerfect DOS settings (something your WP6xxset.txt
        should suggest I think) and then loaded your wp62.set file. I had to
        change things a bit because I run 4Dos and use the Shell command a bit
        differently, but the changes were to DOS_AUTOEXEC and SHELL only. I
        changed my autoexec.bat file so it matched yours as closely as I could.
        No change.

        My conclusion:

        The problem is with the Matrox G400 chip. The _200_ works fine; the
        400 does not. As far as I can tell, there is no way to make it work.
        Or at least no way that I can imagine; I am out of ideas.

        Thank all of you who have offered suggestions, especially Kris. I
        appreciate your help very much.

        Thom Parkhill
        .................................. Thom.
      • Kris Steenhaut
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 4, 2001
          Thomas Parkhill schreef:

          > should suggest I think) and then loaded your wp62.set file. I had to
          > change things a bit because I run 4Dos and use the Shell command a bit
          > differently,

          You haven't told that you are using 4Dos. Now we have a rather different situation.The
          settings I've put in the files section are made in the OS/2 Mdos, let's say the OS/2
          version of command.com .

          As we don't like to jump to conclusions, can I ask you'll have a test again just in
          the plain Mdos environment.

          > but the changes were to DOS_AUTOEXEC and SHELL only. I
          > changed my autoexec.bat file so it matched yours as closely as I could.
          > No change.
          >
          > My conclusion:
          >
          > The problem is with the Matrox G400 chip.

          The problem could be the card itself is defective. But I would like to see the test in
          the Mdos environment before saying so.

          BTW: I presume it's easy now to acquire second hand & cheap an S3 Virge DX card with
          4 Mb on. I've purchased such one in order to test and compare. As SDD enables to swap
          video cards without installing drivers, that way it is easy to test whether it is
          about hardware or software/system.

          --
          Groeten uit Gent,

          Kris

          http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/smartsuite-os2/
        • driven zen
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 5, 2001
            Thomas Parkhill wrote:

            <snip>

            > differently, but the changes were to DOS_AUTOEXEC and SHELL only. I
            > changed my autoexec.bat file so it matched yours as closely as I could.
            > No change.
            >
            > My conclusion:
            >
            > The problem is with the Matrox G400 chip. The _200_ works fine; the
            > 400 does not. As far as I can tell, there is no way to make it work.
            > Or at least no way that I can imagine; I am out of ideas.
            >
            > Thank all of you who have offered suggestions, especially Kris. I
            > appreciate your help very much.

            Is there a similar utility for the Millennium G200 and
            WP5.1DOS?

            TIA,

            Mark Henigan
            --
          • driven zen
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 5, 2001
              Thomas Parkhill wrote:

              <snip>

              > differently, but the changes were to DOS_AUTOEXEC and SHELL only. I
              > changed my autoexec.bat file so it matched yours as closely as I could.
              > No change.
              >
              > My conclusion:
              >
              > The problem is with the Matrox G400 chip. The _200_ works fine; the
              > 400 does not. As far as I can tell, there is no way to make it work.
              > Or at least no way that I can imagine; I am out of ideas.
              >
              > Thank all of you who have offered suggestions, especially Kris. I
              > appreciate your help very much.

              [CORRECTION]

              Is there a similar utility that would be appropriate for
              the Millennium G200 and WP5.1DOS?

              TIA,

              Mark Henigan

            • Dr. Martin R. Hadam
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 5, 2001
                On Mon, 05 Mar 2001 04:07:25 -0800, driven zen wrote:

                >Is there a similar utility that would be appropriate for
                >the Millennium G200 and WP5.1DOS?

                I seriously doubt it. WP5.1 DOS predates VESA times (in that respect,
                it's still more like the WP 4.x versions). Below is the graphic screen
                selection from my German 5.1 version (dated "US Master: 25.09.91" and
                "DE Master: 31.01.92"):

                Startmen├╝: Grafikbildschirmtreiber

                AT&T
                ATI
                Compaq Portable
                Hercules (& Kompatible)
                Hercules InFarbe
                IBM 8514/A
                IBM CGA (& Kompatible)
                IBM EGA (& Kompatible)
                IBM MCGA (& Kompatible)
                * IBM VGA (& Kompatible)
                MDS Genius
                Paradise
                Toshiba Portable
                Video 7 Vega VGA

                I don't see much chance to get a better resolution other than using
                the 8514 emulation, if that was around.

                I don't know if anyone had a chance to look at the WP 5.1+ that was
                available from COREL until recently. But as far as I recall, the only
                improvements were in fax and printer support (and NOT on video). If
                anyone had a chance to check this, that version might offer a potential
                source of improvement.

                WP 6.x for DOS is already a very different animal and offers much more
                choice in its graphic screen settings.

                Martin

                Martin R. Hadam
                Kinderklinik - Medizinische Hochschule
                D-30623 Hannover
                Germany
                Email: Hadam.Martin@...
              • Philip Griffin-Allwood
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 5, 2001
                  Monday, March 5, 2001

                  Here is the WS version of the Matrox problem from George Beker of the WS
                  List.

                  > I don't know the chipset name, but the last Matrox card that allowed the
                  > 16-color (mode 104H) VESA to operate was the Impression Plus. All
                  > subsequent Matrox cards require a video driver call that puts them into
                  > the 256-color VESA mode. Unfortunately, the WD7 video drivers can call
                  > up the wonderful 1024x768 VESA Advance Page Preview but the drivers do
                  > not call up the 256-color version.
                  >
                  > Sadly, although I have repeatedly asked folks who know programming to
                  > please try revising the VESA1024.WSG driver to trigger the 256-color
                  > VESA, no one has updated the driver (although several have theatened to
                  > do so).
                  >
                  > Consider this yet one more request - one that would allow WS7 to access
                  > most of the cards now extant which all allow a 256 VESA mode.

                  I do not know how this relates to the WP problem, but it does confirm
                  "problems" with the Matrox cards.

                  Phil

                  -- written in WordStar 7.0d and emailed with Post Road Mailer 3.0

                  Philip G. A. Griffin-Allwood, Ph.D.
                  Kentville, N.S., Canada
                  pgaga@...
                  http://www.glinx.com/~grifwood/WordStar.html
                • driven zen
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 6, 2001
                    "Dr. Martin R. Hadam" wrote:

                    > On Mon, 05 Mar 2001 04:07:25 -0800, driven zen wrote:
                    >
                    > >Is there a similar utility that would be appropriate for
                    > >the Millennium G200 and WP5.1DOS?
                    >
                    > I seriously doubt it. WP5.1 DOS predates VESA times (in that respect,
                    > it's still more like the WP 4.x versions). Below is the graphic screen
                    > selection from my German 5.1 version (dated "US Master: 25.09.91" and
                    > "DE Master: 31.01.92"):
                    >
                    > Startmen├╝: Grafikbildschirmtreiber
                    >
                    > AT&T
                    > ATI
                    > Compaq Portable
                    > Hercules (& Kompatible)
                    > Hercules InFarbe
                    > IBM 8514/A
                    > IBM CGA (& Kompatible)
                    > IBM EGA (& Kompatible)
                    > IBM MCGA (& Kompatible)
                    > * IBM VGA (& Kompatible)
                    > MDS Genius
                    > Paradise
                    > Toshiba Portable
                    > Video 7 Vega VGA

                    I believe that's identical to my version.

                    > I don't see much chance to get a better resolution other than using
                    > the 8514 emulation, if that was around.

                    The 8514 setting doesn't offer any better graphics
                    resolution with my hardware that I achieve with the
                    default driver. The 1024 x 768 that I get with my ATI
                    GraphicXpressions using the special driver is clearly
                    the best I will be able to achieve. And, I won't be
                    able to approach it with my Millennium G200 8MB AGP card.

                    > I don't know if anyone had a chance to look at the WP
                    > 5.1+ that was available from COREL until recently.

                    I purchased a copy of 5.1+ that turned out to be a
                    "copy" in the less attractive sense. I was unable to
                    get it to install correctly on my main machine in a DOS
                    full screen or in a window. I think that there may be
                    some file corruption. However, I intend to try it when
                    I get a simple DOS (MS 6.22) machine set up. It was not
                    available from Corel in this country. They would not
                    even answer my e-mails. And, no one would purchase it in
                    Germany and ship it to me. I would like to see what
                    would happen with a pristeen version. But, I'm getting
                    tired of dealing with it.

                    > But as far as I recall, the only improvements were in
                    > fax and printer support (and NOT on video).

                    Actually, the feature that most aroused my interest was
                    the "Screen Extender," a utility that does not work with
                    plain 5.1. My understanding (or perhaps mis-understanding)
                    is that it allows the user to display entire lines on the
                    screen in text screen mode without the distorted fonts
                    achieved by attempting to use the various line and column
                    options associated with the video drivers sold with the
                    program.

                    > If anyone had a chance to check this, that version might
                    > offer a potential source of improvement.

                    Unfortunately, no dice with either 5.2 for OS/2 or 5.1+
                    for DOS. If I can get it running under real DOS I may be
                    able to devise a means of getting it to work under OS/2.

                    > WP 6.x for DOS is already a very different animal and
                    > offers much more choice in its graphic screen settings.

                    That's part of my concern. If I use 6.x, I would
                    realistically need to change all of my machines over to
                    it. I'm definitely not ready for that headache.

                    Thanks,

                    Mark Henigan