OS/2 file misoperation

  • Andrew Buc
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 4, 2000
      You haven't seen me on this list b4. Dr. Jeffrey Race, with whom I'm
      having this file-dialog problem in common, forwarded me the following,
      originally written by Philip Griffin-Allwood. I have a few additional
      questions.

      >Two thoughts:
      >
      >Somehow your pmctrls.dll has become corrupt. Go to your installation
      >or
      >fixpax disks and use unpack to restore from there and see what
      >happens.
      >This would be the dll called for the SaveAs functions.

      To be perfectly honest, I have limited experience mucking around w/the
      nuts and bolts of OS/2. I invoked HELP UNPACK from the cmd line, and I
      think I have some idea how to use UNPACK, but any suggestions where to
      find the DLL on the install CD, short of going all thru the directory
      structure?

      >The second possibility is corruption in your OS2.INI or OS2SYS.INI.
      >If
      >you have a previous copy, backup the current, and install them and see
      >what happens. You could also create fresh new ones from the RI files
      >and see if things on your system work again.

      Tips on how to go about creating fresh new ones?

      I've also had an idea: suppose I were to rename the DLL in question,
      then boot the system w/the installation floppy and OS/2 CD in their
      respective drives. Would the install routine say, "That DLL is missing,
      I think I'll install it"? If you wonder why I don't just give it a go,
      I'm proceeding v. cautiously until I know what I'm doing. Thanks!
    • Sten Solberg
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 4, 2000
        On Sat, 04 Nov 2000 12:13:30 -0500 (EST), Andrew Buc wrote:

        >You haven't seen me on this list b4. Dr. Jeffrey Race, with whom I'm
        >having this file-dialog problem in common, forwarded me the following,
        >originally written by Philip Griffin-Allwood. I have a few additional
        >questions.
        >
        >>Two thoughts:
        >>
        >>Somehow your pmctrls.dll has become corrupt. Go to your installation
        >>or
        >>fixpax disks and use unpack to restore from there and see what
        >>happens.
        >>This would be the dll called for the SaveAs functions.
        >
        >To be perfectly honest, I have limited experience mucking around w/the
        >nuts and bolts of OS/2. I invoked HELP UNPACK from the cmd line, and I
        >think I have some idea how to use UNPACK, but any suggestions where to
        >find the DLL on the install CD, short of going all thru the directory

        I believe the file referred to is "PMCTLS.DLL" (no "r"). PMseek reports from
        my system (Base Warp 4, then FP14 Postfix):

        2000/07/10 18:35:00 587734 E:\OS2\DLL\PMCTLS.DLL
        2000/07/10 18:35:00 44660 E:\OS2\PDPSI\PMDF\WARP4\pmctls.sym
        1996/08/14 04:08:29 612817 E:\Archos2\PMCTLS.DL_
        1996/08/14 04:08:04 31849 E:\Archos2\PMCTLS.SY_
        1996/08/09 01:42:20 721 E:\OS2\SYSTEM\PMCTL.MSG
        1996/08/09 01:42:19 1680 E:\OS2\SYSTEM\PMCTL.REP

        I guess you should look for PMCTLS.DLL and PMCTLS.SYM (*.DL_ and *.SY_
        as PACK suffixes on the CD or in FP). However, I just made a search for
        PMCTLS on my install CD and PMseek came back with 77 files... I vaguely
        remember having heard there is a way to locate files on the CD, though.

        >>The second possibility is corruption in your OS2.INI or OS2SYS.INI.
        >>If
        >>you have a previous copy, backup the current, and install them and see
        >>what happens. You could also create fresh new ones from the RI files
        >>and see if things on your system work again.
        >
        >Tips on how to go about creating fresh new ones?

        Sorry, I have never had any success with that. Others claim they have
        managed it, though. Get a WPS backup program. I am still using Dave
        Lester good ol' WPSBKUP, but as it does not officially support Warp 4,
        I will not recommend it :) XWorkplace, a very useful wps and system
        enhancer, also offers ini-file archiving, I believe. And there are others.
        I assume you have run CHKDSK with the F:3 parameter. It might be a
        good idea to also run Henk Kelder's CHECKINI; it will at least eliminate
        redundant ini entries.

        >I've also had an idea: suppose I were to rename the DLL in question,
        >then boot the system w/the installation floppy and OS/2 CD in their
        >respective drives. Would the install routine say, "That DLL is missing,
        >I think I'll install it"?

        I am afraid it would not. However, your approach should work by
        installing or re-installing the latest release of FP14. As you will note
        from the printout above, FP14 replaced this DLL on my (Base Warp 4)
        system. Or I could try and mail the dll to you, if you think you can
        use one of my versions.

        >If you wonder why I don't just give it a go,
        >I'm proceeding v. cautiously until I know what I'm doing. Thanks!

        A good idea :)

        Best regards
        Sten
      • driven zen
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 4, 2000
          Andrew Buc wrote:

          > You haven't seen me on this list b4. Dr. Jeffrey Race, with whom
          > I'm having this file-dialog problem in common, forwarded me the
          > following, originally written by Philip Griffin-Allwood. I have
          > a few additional questions.
          >
          > >Two thoughts:
          > >
          > >Somehow your pmctrls.dll has become corrupt. Go to your
          > >installation or fixpax disks and use unpack to restore from there
          > >and see what happens.
          > >This would be the dll called for the SaveAs functions.
          >
          > To be perfectly honest, I have limited experience mucking around
          > w/the nuts and bolts of OS/2. I invoked HELP UNPACK from the cmd
          > line, and I think I have some idea how to use UNPACK, but any
          > suggestions where to find the DLL on the install CD, short of going
          > all thru the directory structure?

          I would expect it to be on one of the earlier diskette
          images since its an important file. However, I can't
          say with any real certainty.

          A method for examining the contents of packed files is
          outlined in the command reference (in the online
          information "books") under "unpack."

          If you use the "show" switch, it is supposed to list
          all files, and their destination paths, in the
          compressed file. It will allow you to examine the
          contents of a packed file on the CD before having to
          acutally unpack to your hard drive. Online help
          gives the following example:

          "unpack bundle.da@ /show" (without the quotes)

          I've never used this parameter, so I'm not sure if it
          causes any problems.

          > >The second possibility is corruption in your OS2.INI or OS2SYS.INI.
          > >If you have a previous copy, backup the current, and install them
          > >and see what happens. You could also create fresh new ones from
          > >the RI files and see if things on your system work again.
          >
          > Tips on how to go about creating fresh new ones?

          Yes. (I think he meant "rc" files) It's also outlined
          in the command reference. Look up "makeini." There is
          even an example of how to go about it.

          1. Boot.

          2. Press Alt+F1 when the white rectangle appears in the
          upper left corner of the screen to go to the
          boot options menu and select going to the
          command line. Or, with Utility Diskettes or
          Installation Diskettes press ESC when "Welcome
          to OS/2" appears to go to the command line.

          3. Change to the OS/2 directory
          (where OS2.INI and OS2SYS.INI are located).

          For example, if your boot drive is x, type

          "cd\os2" (without the quotes)

          4. Enter the following commands.

          a. erase OS2SYS.INI

          b. makeini OS2SYS.INI INISYS.RC

          c. erase OS2.INI

          d. makeini OS2.INI INI.RC

          5. Reboot.

          > I've also had an idea: suppose I were to rename the DLL in question,
          > then boot the system w/the installation floppy and OS/2 CD in their
          > respective drives. Would the install routine say, "That DLL is missing,
          > I think I'll install it"? If you wonder why I don't just give it a go,
          > I'm proceeding v. cautiously until I know what I'm doing. Thanks!

          That way lies madness. :->

          Good luck!

          HTH,

          Mark Henigan
          --
        • Philip Griffin-Allwood
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 4, 2000
            ** Reply to note from "Andrew Buc" <abuc@...> Sat, 04 Nov 2000 12:13:30 -0500 (EST)

            Saturday, November 4, 2000

            Hi Andrew!

            To begin, I am running Warp 3 FaxPax 26. If your are running Warp 4,
            some of this may not apply.

            >>Two thoughts:
            >>
            >>Somehow your pmctrls.dll has become corrupt. Go to your installation
            >>or
            >>fixpax disks and use unpack to restore from there and see what
            >>happens.
            >>This would be the dll called for the SaveAs functions.
            >
            >To be perfectly honest, I have limited experience mucking around w/the
            >nuts and bolts of OS/2. I invoked HELP UNPACK from the cmd line, and I
            >think I have some idea how to use UNPACK, but any suggestions where to
            >find the DLL on the install CD, short of going all thru the directory
            >structure?

            Because of the variety of Warp installations, I would only be guessing
            the location. Once you have it located, the command line is:

            unpack d:\path\pmctls.dl_ c:\os2\dll

            >>The second possibility is corruption in your OS2.INI or OS2SYS.INI.
            >>If
            >>you have a previous copy, backup the current, and install them and see
            >>what happens. You could also create fresh new ones from the RI files
            >>and see if things on your system work again.
            >
            >Tips on how to go about creating fresh new ones?

            In your boot drive OS/2 folder are files with the RC extension. The
            following command line will create fresh OS.INI and OS2SYS.INI.

            MAKEINI OS2.INI INI.RC
            MAKEINI OS2SYS.INI INISYS.RC

            Note back up your originals first. This will create new basic INI
            files. You will have to rebuild all your other objects from scratch.

            >I've also had an idea: suppose I were to rename the DLL in question,
            >then boot the system w/the installation floppy and OS/2 CD in their
            >respective drives. Would the install routine say, "That DLL is missing,
            >I think I'll install it"? If you wonder why I don't just give it a go,
            >I'm proceeding v. cautiously until I know what I'm doing. Thanks!

            As long as you can boot in order to restore the file name afterwards if
            it does not work.

            >I believe the file referred to is "PMCTLS.DLL" (no "r"). PMseek reports from
            >my system (Base Warp 4, then FP14 Postfix):
            >
            >2000/07/10 18:35:00 587734 E:\OS2\DLL\PMCTLS.DLL
            >2000/07/10 18:35:00 44660 E:\OS2\PDPSI\PMDF\WARP4\pmctls.sym
            >1996/08/14 04:08:29 612817 E:\Archos2\PMCTLS.DL_
            >1996/08/14 04:08:04 31849 E:\Archos2\PMCTLS.SY_
            >1996/08/09 01:42:20 721 E:\OS2\SYSTEM\PMCTL.MSG
            >1996/08/09 01:42:19 1680 E:\OS2\SYSTEM\PMCTL.REP
            >
            >I guess you should look for PMCTLS.DLL and PMCTLS.SYM (*.DL_ and *.SY_
            >as PACK suffixes on the CD or in FP). However, I just made a search for
            >PMCTLS on my install CD and PMseek came back with 77 files... I vaguely
            >remember having heard there is a way to locate files on the CD, though.

            Looks like you were backed up after and an installation. When I have
            modified PMCtls.DLL, I have backed it up.

            Sten noted:

            >Sorry, I have never had any success with that. Others claim they have
            >managed it, though. Get a WPS backup program. I am still using Dave
            >Lester good ol' WPSBKUP, but as it does not officially support Warp 4,
            >I will not recommend it :) XWorkplace, a very useful wps and system
            >enhancer, also offers ini-file archiving, I believe. And there are others.
            >I assume you have run CHKDSK with the F:3 parameter. It might be a
            >good idea to also run Henk Kelder's CHECKINI; it will at least eliminate
            >redundant ini entries.

            Good suggestions. Installing a FixPak certainly may solve the problem.

            I use the XWorkplace (actually the earlier XFolder), and its backup of
            OS2.INI and OS2SYS.INI have saved me in the past.

            Phil

            --written in WordStar 7.0d and emailed with Post Road Mailer 3.0

            Philip G. A. Griffin-Allwood, Ph.D.
            Kentville, N.S., Canada
            pgaga@...