WordStar 7 DOS VDM and settings

  • sdr333@attglobal.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2000
      Hi All,

      A friend from an OS/2 list asked this question and I thought maybe
      someone here would have the answer for him.

      I have this problem with DOS compuserve (CIM) running in VDM. If I
      print a file with spooler disabled, it prints ok. But if the spooler
      is active, nothing prints until I exit CIM. Then it prints. The
      spooler says that there is a file in hte printer queue, and it says
      that it is printing: the icon shows the little arrow that it is
      supposed to show (in green). It seems that it is a spooler problem, but
      linked with VDM.
      Also, the CPU indicator says it is busy 100%, but this may be
      unrelated...

      Now I am upgrading to WS7 from WS6. WS6 had no problem. But WS7 is
      acting just like Compuserve.

      And I now find a spool bug in PMMAIL: printing from PMMAIL when the
      spooler is disabled crashes PMMAIL!

      My program versions are generally uptodate. Running Warp 4, FP 9.
      (Should I go to FP14?)

      Sasha
      Cruising on the Gypsy Omega at Warp 4
      Member of WARP UK The UK OS/2 User Group
      http://www.warp.in-uk.net

      Life is a mystery to be lived, friends are the bread and spice
    • beuzet@attglobal.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2000
        Patrick Beuzet, on 2000.10.01 at 10:11 AM -0400, replied to a message
        from sdr333@...
        dated 2000.10.01 at 10:02:00 +0100

        First, make sure that the PRINT_TIMEOUT DOS settings
        for the program are set at 15 seconds. This should be
        the default.

        I don't use CIM but I do use one DOS program that does
        not seem to care about the setting mentioned above and
        will not start printing until I send another print job
        from that program or close the program. I tried all
        kinds of settings years ago but nothing worked.

        I've been running WS7 for years with no problems. I
        have the PRINT_TIMEOUT mentioned above set at the
        15 seconds minimum. It does seem to take about
        8 seconds after the spooling is complete for the
        green arrow to disappear and start printing.
        (for WS7 I keep IDLE_SECONDS at either 0 or 1
        and IDLE_SENSITIVITY at 16 or 24.)

        Warp 4 and FP 5 on an old PR155 (about the
        equivalent of an Intel 133).

        If your friend uses WS he may be interested in the
        following list:
        <<
        *To unsubscribe from this List, send a NEW message to
        wordstar-request@... with a blank Subject and the word
        unsubscribe as the only line of text.
        * For help and additional information send a NEW message to
        wordstar-request@... with a blank subject and the word HELP as
        your only text.

        Just change unsubscribe to subscribe.

        A word of caution. The list is not moderated and
        can easily go off topic and, even though a few members
        use OS/2, the mention of that particular OS may sometimes lead to
        diatribe by one or two of the members.
        on OS/2

        --
        Patrick Beuzet beuzet@... beuzet@...
        Daytona Beach, Florida http://pws.prserv.net/usinet.beuzet/
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 1, 2000
          ** Reply to note from beuzet@... Sun, 01 Oct 2000 10:50:23
          -0400

          Sunday, October 1, 2000

          I too use WS7 with no problems, although there are delays when spooling
          for printing. I do not run an exclusive WS7 session, but run it from a
          Profinder session. Sometimes I have to exit WS to get print started.

          HW_Timer is off

          > First, make sure that the PRINT_TIMEOUT DOS settings
          > for the program are set at 15 seconds. This should be
          > the default.

          This is my setting>

          > I don't use CIM but I do use one DOS program that does
          > not seem to care about the setting mentioned above and
          > will not start printing until I send another print job
          > from that program or close the program. I tried all
          > kinds of settings years ago but nothing worked.
          >
          > I've been running WS7 for years with no problems. I
          > have the PRINT_TIMEOUT mentioned above set at the
          > 15 seconds minimum. It does seem to take about
          > 8 seconds after the spooling is complete for the
          > green arrow to disappear and start printing.
          > (for WS7 I keep IDLE_SECONDS at either 0 or 1
          > and IDLE_SENSITIVITY at 16 or 24.)

          For me:

          Idle_seconds is 0
          Idle_Sensitivity is 75

          I am running Warp FixPak 26.

          In Win9x, the usual recommendation is to turn off spooling for WS7. You
          could try using the Disable spool option when you are printing.

          Phil

          --written in WordStar 7.0d and emailed with Post Road Mailer 3.0

          Philip G. A. Griffin-Allwood, Ph.D.
          Kentville, N.S., Canada
          pgaga@...
        • John Angelico
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 1, 2000
            On Sun, 01 Oct 2000 10:50:23 -0400, beuzet@... wrote:

            >Patrick Beuzet, on 2000.10.01 at 10:11 AM -0400, replied to a message
            >from sdr333@...
            >dated 2000.10.01 at 10:02:00 +0100
            >
            >First, make sure that the PRINT_TIMEOUT DOS settings
            >for the program are set at 15 seconds. This should be
            >the default.
            >
            >I don't use CIM but I do use one DOS program that does
            >not seem to care about the setting mentioned above and
            >will not start printing until I send another print job
            >from that program or close the program. I tried all
            >kinds of settings years ago but nothing worked.

            The only solution to this is a DOS Device called LPTDD.SYS.

            Find it in the help files and they should tell you that it is exactly the thing.
            It is in C:\OS2\MDOS and you add a line to the session DOS_DEVICES entry in the DOS Settings.

            >I've been running WS7 for years with no problems. I
            >have the PRINT_TIMEOUT mentioned above set at the
            >15 seconds minimum. It does seem to take about
            >8 seconds after the spooling is complete for the
            >green arrow to disappear and start printing.
            >(for WS7 I keep IDLE_SECONDS at either 0 or 1
            >and IDLE_SENSITIVITY at 16 or 24.)
            >
            >Warp 4 and FP 5 on an old PR155 (about the
            >equivalent of an Intel 133).
            >
            >If your friend uses WS he may be interested in the
            >following list:
            ><<

            [chomp]

            >>Now I am upgrading to WS7 from WS6. WS6 had no problem. But WS7 is
            >>acting just like Compuserve.
            >
            >>And I now find a spool bug in PMMAIL: printing from PMMAIL when the
            >>spooler is disabled crashes PMMAIL!
            >
            >>My program versions are generally uptodate. Running Warp 4, FP 9.
            >>(Should I go to FP14?)

            I find FP12 the most stable.

            Best regards
            John Angelico
            OS/2 SIG
            Melbourne PC User Group Inc.
            Email: talldad@... or talldad@...

            PMTagline v1.50 - Copyright, 1996-1997, Stephen Berg and John Angelico
            ... OXYMORON #556: Small crowd
          • sdr333@attglobal.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 2, 2000
              Thank you everyone for your answers to my friend's problem.. I
              learned things for myself as well. Although I have moved to Wordpro for
              certain things, Wordstar can't be beaten for speed and convenience for
              certain other things.

              As long as they keep making printers that will work with DOS....

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 2, 2000
                ** Reply to note from "John Angelico" <talldad@...> Mon, 02 Oct
                2000 14:14:34 +0900 (EST)

                Monday, October 2, 2000

                Hi John!

                > The only solution to this is a DOS Device called LPTDD.SYS.
                >
                > Find it in the help files and they should tell you that it is exactly the thing.
                > It is in C:\OS2\MDOS and you add a line to the session DOS_DEVICES entry in the DOS Settings.

                Try this by I am not sure that it might now slow the process down
                further. It is specifically designed for TSRs.

                Another option may be to try using LPT1.OS2 as the redirection device.

                I do not print directly to a printer very often anymore, since I
                discovered the ability to use Postscript printer driver to create a file
                which I convert to Adobe PDF format for printing.

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 2, 2000
                  ** Reply to note from sdr333@... Mon, 02 Oct 2000 11:13:38
                  +0100

                  Monday, October 2, 2000

                  > As long as they keep making printers that will work with DOS....

                  Fortunately that is not a worry, thanks to Postscript and GhostScript.
                  I use a customized Postscript printer driver to create my files. Then I
                  print to a Postscript file. I then convert the file to Adobe PDF format
                  using Ghostscript. The I print. Currently my WordStar files are
                  created and printed using the following fonts:

                  Arial MT; Regular, Bold, Italic, Bold Italic
                  Avant Garde; Regular, Bold, Italic, Bold Italic
                  Baxter (Linotype); Regular, Bold
                  Bodoni; Regular
                  Bookman; Regular, Bold, Italic, Bold Italic
                  Broadway; Regular
                  Brush; Regular
                  Caslon Open; Regular
                  Cooper Black; Regular, Bold Italic
                  Courier; Regular, Bold, Italic, Bold Italic
                  Dom Casual; Regular
                  Franklin Gothic; Regular
                  Gill Sans; Regular, Bold
                  Helv Narrow; Regular, Bold, Italic, Bold Italic
                  Helvetica; Regular, Bold, Italic, Bold Italic
                  Hobo; Regular
                  Kaufman; Regular, Bold
                  Letter Gothic; Regular
                  Mesquite; Regular
                  New Century School; Regular, Bold, Italic, Bold Italic
                  New Gothic; Regular
                  Palatino; Regular, Bold, Italic, Bold Italic
                  Parisian; Regular
                  Park Avenue; Regular, Bold, Italic, Bold Italic
                  Perpetua; Regular, Bold
                  Shelley Allegro Script; Regular
                  Stencil; Regular
                  Symbol; Regular
                  Times; Regular, Bold, Italic, Bold Italic
                  TimesNewRomanPS; Regular, Bold, Italic, Bold Italic
                  Utopia Black; Regular
                  VAG Round; Regular, Bold
                  ZebraWood; Regular
                  Zpf Chanceryl; Regular
                  Zpf Dingbats; Regular

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 2, 2000
                    Patrick Beuzet, on 2000.10.02 at 06:34 PM -0400, replied to a message
                    from "John Angelico" <talldad@...>
                    dated 2000.10.02 at 14:14:00 (EST)

                    John,

                    Thank you. It works.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 2, 2000
                      On Mon, 02 Oct 2000 18:37:54 -0400, beuzet@... wrote:

                      >Patrick Beuzet, on 2000.10.02 at 06:34 PM -0400, replied to a message
                      >from "John Angelico" <talldad@...>
                      >dated 2000.10.02 at 14:14:00 (EST)
                      >
                      >John,
                      >
                      >Thank you. It works.
                      >
                      >>The only solution to this is a DOS Device called LPTDD.SYS.

                      "It is my satisfaction to be of service, sir." -- Jeeves (character invented by British humorist PG Wodehouse whilst
                      poking fun at the Pommie establishment)

                      :)

                      Best regards
                      John Angelico
                      OS/2 SIG
                      talldad@... or talldad@...

                      PMTagline v1.50 - Copyright, 1996-1997, Stephen Berg and John Angelico
                      ... Caution: Noah built the Ark without much experience but the Titanic was built by professionals
                    • J. N. Pfisterer
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 3, 2000
                        On Sun, 01 Oct 2000 10:50:23 -0400, beuzet@... wrote:

                        >I've been running WS7 for years with no problems. I
                        >have the PRINT_TIMEOUT mentioned above set at the
                        >15 seconds minimum. It does seem to take about
                        >8 seconds after the spooling is complete for the
                        >green arrow to disappear and start printing.
                        >(for WS7 I keep IDLE_SECONDS at either 0 or 1
                        >and IDLE_SENSITIVITY at 16 or 24.)

                        Hi, Patrick -

                        Those comments proved very helpful. My VDM WordStar sessions had been
                        maxing the CPU meter. I tried TAME, which helped with that problem but
                        seemed to interfere with screen updates--especially when making global
                        changes (^QA), so had to disable it. Now just went through the DOS
                        settings: left PRINT_TIMEOUT at 15 seconds and IDLE_SECONDS at 0, and
                        changed IDLE_SENSITIVITY from 75 to 24. What a difference!

                        >If your friend uses WS he may be interested in the following list:
                        ><<
                        >*To unsubscribe from this List, send a NEW message to
                        >wordstar-request@... with a blank Subject and the word
                        >unsubscribe as the only line of text.
                        >* For help and additional information send a NEW message to
                        >wordstar-request@... with a blank subject and the word HELP as
                        >your only text.
                        >>>
                        >Just change unsubscribe to subscribe.
                        >
                        >A word of caution. The list is not moderated and
                        >can easily go off topic and, even though a few members
                        >use OS/2, the mention of that particular OS may sometimes lead to
                        >diatribe by one or two of the members on OS/2.

                        Yep, that's the way it worked while I was on it :) But, even with the
                        excessive noise, it's a very helpful list. Unfortunately there was some
                        conflict between cuenet.com and my e-mail addresses that caused mail to
                        bounce and I got bounced. :(

                        Jack P.
                      • Philip Griffin-Allwood
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 3, 2000
                          ** Reply to note from driven zen <drivnzen@...> Mon, 02 Oct 2000
                          22:19:32 -0700

                          Tuesday, October 3, 2000

                          Hi Mark!

                          > I've been reading your posts about Ghostscript with one eye. This made
                          > me open both of them. I'll have to give this a try, although my
                          > printers are PCL-5 (but can print pdf files).

                          The type of printer does not matter, because I never print directly to
                          the printer. I use the PS printer driver to print to file. Ghostscript
                          then loads the fonts indicated in that file for creation of an Acrobat
                          PDF. The font information is contained with the Acrobat PDF file and
                          printed out on what printer is used to print the file.

                          With WordStar, any Type1 font for which one has the AFM file can be
                          added to a Postscript printer driver. This is what I did, adding Adobe
                          and Atech Type 1 fonts to the basic 35 Postscript fonts.