Re: [Orthognathic Surgery Support ] Re: facial assymetry

  • michelle linard
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 2005
      Hello Kwan

      thanks for you're email.
      I have exactly the same problem as you (even the same side) apart from the underbite
      I fractured my left condoyle resulting in the left side of my face losing a good shape as the impact of my accident was actually on my chin.
      I read you are having bone removed from the Condoyle to level it up.
      I think i will have to have bone added to my left side to give the appearance of a smooth jawline.
      Do you know what they would use to do this? I've been told many years ago they would take bone from my hip, Have times changed and they use prosthetics?
      I'm still waiting to see my Maxillo Surgeon
      Michelle
      knongpong <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      Hi Michelle,

      I too have an asymmetry on my lower jaw. My right condyle is longer
      than the left so my lower jaw and chin kinda shift to the left side.
      In addition to that, my upper jaw is under developed so I have an
      underbite. Unlike you, the asymmetry happens to me naturally. I didn't
      have any accident on my jaws.

      I've known since I was 19 (I'm now 27) that the surgery is necessary
      and is the only way to correct my problem as my jaws are so crooked.
      Braces alone can't do much. However, the idea of having such a major
      surgery scared me so much that I called off the treatment until my
      jaws started clicking and locking. Hence, I decided to start the
      orthognathic surgery journey early last year.

      I'm pre-op. I've been in braces for 13 months and right now my bite is
      much much worse than before getting braces. This is normal since the
      teeth have to be well-aligned for the new proper jaw position (please
      keep this in mind). My OD told me that I'd be ready for the surgery
      soon. I hope he'll be able to give me a more precise timeframe at the
      next appointment in October.

      My OMS is going to rotate the upper jaw and bring it forward (Le
      Fort). The lower jaw will be brought backward. He will also take some
      bone off from the right condyle (condylectomy) to make my lower jaw
      level.

      Hope this helps.
      Kwan :)

    • knongpong
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 2, 2005
        Hi Michelle,

        I don't know much about bone grafting. As far as I know, they usually
        take the bone from your hip. Anyhow, Tiffany who once had facial
        asymmetry problem had mentioned that her surgeon might take the bone
        from the longer side and put it to the shorter side to make her jaw
        more symmetrical. She just had the surgery last week and looks great!!
        She may be able to tell you more about this.

        Kwan
        --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, michelle linard
        <recpai777@y...> wrote:
        > Hello Kwan
        >
        > thanks for you're email.
        > I have exactly the same problem as you (even the same side) apart
        from the underbite
        > I fractured my left condoyle resulting in the left side of my face
        losing a good shape as the impact of my accident was actually on my chin.
        > I read you are having bone removed from the Condoyle to level it up.
        > I think i will have to have bone added to my left side to give the
        appearance of a smooth jawline.
        > Do you know what they would use to do this? I've been told many
        years ago they would take bone from my hip, Have times changed and
        they use prosthetics?
        > I'm still waiting to see my Maxillo Surgeon
        > Michelle
        > knongpong <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        > Hi Michelle,
        >
        > I too have an asymmetry on my lower jaw. My right condyle is longer
        > than the left so my lower jaw and chin kinda shift to the left side.
        > In addition to that, my upper jaw is under developed so I have an
        > underbite. Unlike you, the asymmetry happens to me naturally. I didn't
        > have any accident on my jaws.
        >
        > I've known since I was 19 (I'm now 27) that the surgery is necessary
        > and is the only way to correct my problem as my jaws are so crooked.
        > Braces alone can't do much. However, the idea of having such a major
        > surgery scared me so much that I called off the treatment until my
        > jaws started clicking and locking. Hence, I decided to start the
        > orthognathic surgery journey early last year.
        >
        > I'm pre-op. I've been in braces for 13 months and right now my bite is
        > much much worse than before getting braces. This is normal since the
        > teeth have to be well-aligned for the new proper jaw position (please
        > keep this in mind). My OD told me that I'd be ready for the surgery
        > soon. I hope he'll be able to give me a more precise timeframe at the
        > next appointment in October.
        >
        > My OMS is going to rotate the upper jaw and bring it forward (Le
        > Fort). The lower jaw will be brought backward. He will also take some
        > bone off from the right condyle (condylectomy) to make my lower jaw
        > level.
        >
        > Hope this helps.
        > Kwan :)

        Service.

        > ---------------------------------

      • memphis_tiff
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 2, 2005
          > Anyhow, Tiffany who once had facial
          > asymmetry problem had mentioned that her surgeon might take the bone
          > from the longer side and put it to the shorter side to make her jaw
          > more symmetrical. She just had the surgery last week and looks great!!
          > She may be able to tell you more about this.

          Hi there,

          I did just get through with my surgery, and they did remove some bone
          from the longer side, as Kwan said, but they ended up not adding it to
          the other side. They said they were very happy with the symmetry once
          they slimmed down the left side, so I am looking forward to whenever I
          can see how it's actually going to look.

          But from what I hear, generally grafts come from the hip, unless your
          doctor can do as mine planned and use part of one jaw bone to correct
          the other.

          ~ Tiffany
        • andreag078
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 3, 2005
            Hi,

            I've been interested in the posts about correcting assymetry by
            cutting some bone out of the condyle. I have assymetry due to my
            right condyle growing bigger and thicker than the left one. I'm not
            sure why it happened, but old photos reveal that my grandmother had
            very pronounced assymetry in the same direction, so I guess it's
            genetic.

            I'm wondering whether having some bone removed from the longer
            condyle involves a cut from the outside of the cheek, or whether
            it's done from the inside?

            Also, how is the bone held together while it's healing and joining
            up - is there an arrangement of screws and/or plates that does the
            job?

            Of course my surgeon will tell me these things but I haven't had my
            work-up yet and won't do for ages yet.

            Also I'd love to see some before and after photos of people who've
            had it done. I wish that when I go to the photo pages I could get
            more info on what problem had been corrected by the surgery without
            having to click on every folder. I don't mean to complain though -
            this site is wonderful.

            Many thanks,
            Andrea

            --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "memphis_tiff"
            <tiffany@t...> wrote:
            > > Anyhow, Tiffany who once had facial
            > > asymmetry problem had mentioned that her surgeon might take the
            bone
            > > from the longer side and put it to the shorter side to make her
            jaw
            > > more symmetrical. She just had the surgery last week and looks
            great!!
            > > She may be able to tell you more about this.
            >
            > Hi there,
            >
            > I did just get through with my surgery, and they did remove some
            bone
            > from the longer side, as Kwan said, but they ended up not adding
            it to
            > the other side. They said they were very happy with the symmetry
            once
            > they slimmed down the left side, so I am looking forward to
            whenever I
            > can see how it's actually going to look.
            >
            > But from what I hear, generally grafts come from the hip, unless
            your
            > doctor can do as mine planned and use part of one jaw bone to
            correct
            > the other.
            >
            > ~ Tiffany
          • Samara Wolf
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 3, 2005
              Hi-
              Why don't you try googling a combination of some words such as 'Orthognathic Surgery facial assymetry'. That's how I found most of the before and after pictures. Also, check out this website - www.drposnick.com for before and after pictures. He has some assymetry ones on there

              <tiffany@t...> wrote:
              > > Anyhow, Tiffany who once had facial
              > > asymmetry problem had mentioned that her surgeon might take the
              bone
              > > from the longer side and put it to the shorter side to make her
              jaw
              > > more symmetrical. She just had the surgery last week and looks
              great!!
              > > She may be able to tell you more about this.
              >
              > Hi there,
              >
              > I did just get through with my surgery, and they did remove some
              bone
              > from the longer side, as Kwan said, but they ended up not adding
              it to
              > the other side. They said they were very happy with the symmetry
              once
              > they slimmed down the left side, so I am looking forward to
              whenever I
              > can see how it's actually going to look.
              >
              > But from what I hear, generally grafts come from the hip, unless
              your
              > doctor can do as mine planned and use part of one jaw bone to
              correct
              > the other.
              >
              > ~ Tiffany

              Health and wellness Health wellness product Health and wellness program Diet fitness health nutrition wellness Business health wellness Womens health and wellness