Re: splint

  • janepapillion
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 1, 2005
      It is like a plastic mouthpiece that curves along the top palate
      to "shape" it as it heals or tells it where to go and there is a
      plastic piece along with bottom teeth that is wired between where you
      bite down. The top part has a little space between it and the roof of
      your mouth. I didn't know what it was or what it did even after it was
      wired in my mouth!! But some nice people on the message board
      explained it to me!

      Jane

      ps. mine comes out at 11:00 am today!!

      --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "Beth"
      <books95076@h...> wrote:

      > Ok, I have a dumb questions. What is a splint and how does it work?
    • janepapillion
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 1, 2005
        It is softer and flexible. I am always moving mine around with my
        tongue (maybe not a good idea) It isn't quite as wide and doesn't
        cover the whole top palate just across the middle.

        Jane

        <books95076@h...> wrote:

        > so is it kindof like a retainer, but sits on your teeth? Is it as
        > thick as a retainer or thicker?
      • janepapillion
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 1, 2005
          Hey a class would have been nice rather than wiring it in my mouth
          and leaving me to discover it when I woke up from anestesia!!!!

          Jane

          --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, David Lara
          <davegun@c...> wrote:
          > Its not thick. It's a wafer type thingy. Maybe 1/8 of an inch
          thick.
          > At my hospital they make you take a class on all this stuff.
          >
          > Dave L.
          >
          > On Mar 30, 2005, at 4:05 PM, Beth wrote:
          >

          > > so is it kindof like a retainer, but sits on your teeth? Is it as
          > > thick as a retainer or thicker?

        • Christina Hasty
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 24, 2009
            I keep hearing everyone talk about a splint. What kind of splint do they put in? and where do they put it?

          • Sheri Rifas
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 24, 2009
              I dont know I dont have one just be thankful. Did you get your fellings back.

              ________________________________
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 6, 2009
                I get my splint off in 3 days and I'm SO excited!
                I'm mostly looking forward to being able to drink water and not have it taste disgusting... Everything that is neutral tasting like water takes on the nasty taste of the splint at this point. My breath isn't too bad but the taste is so distracting. Of course I'm looking forward to my speech being more normal too (when I take my bands off, that is). I'll be 4 weeks post-op tomorrow.

                I just joined this group and am really looking forward to doing a little research because from what I've seen so far, this is the exact kind of site I've been looking for. I don't know anyone in real life that has had this surgery so it's been quite strange going through it (somewhat) alone. So, thanks!
              • Sheri Rifas
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 8, 2009
                  Im also 4 weeks are you still num? And swallen?

                  ________________________________
                  I get my splint off in 3 days and I'm SO excited!
                  I'm mostly looking forward to being able to drink water and not have it taste disgusting.. . Everything that is neutral tasting like water takes on the nasty taste of the splint at this point. My breath isn't too bad but the taste is so distracting. Of course I'm looking forward to my speech being more normal too (when I take my bands off, that is). I'll be 4 weeks post-op tomorrow.

                  I just joined this group and am really looking forward to doing a little research because from what I've seen so far, this is the exact kind of site I've been looking for. I don't know anyone in real life that has had this surgery so it's been quite strange going through it (somewhat) alone. So, thanks!

                • chaotic_moonlet
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 8, 2009
                    Is it common to get one's splint removed at 4 weeks? I'm 3 weeks post-op and scheduled to get mine taken out in a week. I always thought 6 weeks was the usual since that's how long it takes for the bone to heal, otherwise the palate is still unstable, isn't it?

                    As happy as I am to get this bulky nuisance removed from my mouth, I also don't want the segments of my upper jaw flopping about with just an archwire as a support :(

                    haley

                    --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, Sheri Rifas <sjbmyboys@...> wrote:

                    > Im also 4 weeks are you still num? And swallen?
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • tonka_tuph
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 9, 2009
                      What kind of surgery did you undergo?
                      I had IVRO and not BSSO.

                      Splint is awful, did you notice any pain in your teeth?

                      Thank you.

                      --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "chaotic_moonlet" <chaotic_moonlet@...> wrote:

                      > Is it common to get one's splint removed at 4 weeks? I'm 3 weeks post-op and scheduled to get mine taken out in a week. I always thought 6 weeks was the usual since that's how long it takes for the bone to heal, otherwise the palate is still unstable, isn't it?
                      >
                      > As happy as I am to get this bulky nuisance removed from my mouth, I also don't want the segments of my upper jaw flopping about with just an archwire as a support :(
                      >
                      > haley
                      >

                      > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, Sheri Rifas <sjbmyboys@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Im also 4 weeks are you still num? And swallen?

                    • sleeplogic
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 9, 2009
                        Yay! I just hit the 4-week mark Tuesday and got my splint out THIS VERY MORNING. I'm so happy. Of course the 5 minutes immediately following the removal was awful. I thought the taste of the splint was bad, underneath was... well, let's just say unpleasant :)

                        I didn't have too much discomfort with the splint, I was mostly just annoyed that I couldn't feel my palate, and didn't really like what it did to my speech. Plus the whole nasty taste/smell thing. I'm really glad to be rid of it. My speech hasn't returned to normal because the removal was just another big change in my mouth, but I'm going with the flow.

                        I thought I might get my stitches out today too, but sadly I didn't, and I didn't get the go-ahead to eat either, which for some reason I was expecting (don't know why, 6 weeks seems to be the norm). But I'm in an okay mood otherwise.

                        And for someone else who asked... I never really experienced any numbness except for my cheeks right around my nose which are kind of tingly, and my upper gums which are completely numb. And pretty minimal swelling, I don't really swell or bruise normally so I wasn't surprised that mine wasn't as bad as others'. I don't mind the numb gums too much, I'm glad my lips aren't numb or anything else that would cause me to drool or something.