for those who had surgery recently......

  • rakushka
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2005
      Sorry for repeating a question that is so often asked, but knowing
      that there are couple of people out there who just had surgery around
      the same time as me, I was just wondering: how is your swelling, and
      how fast does it go down? My surgery was last Thursday (upper and
      lower), and I still have quite a bit of swelling around my nose, lips
      and chin. It is better than couple of days ago, but still..... How
      much longer? :) Will I still look like a monster when I go for my
      post op checkup in 2 days?

      Thanks everyone!
      Irene.
    • Tova Friedman
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2005
        Hiya,

        For everyone it's different. The majority of my swelling went down
        after a week and a half,,, but the base swelling has lingered... I'm 4
        weeks post-op and still a bit swollen... though not monsterously so...
        just not as slim as my face normally is.

        Your not even a week post-op! Go easy on yourself! it will go down in
        time.
        Tova
        On Mar 1, 2005, at 9:06 AM, rakushka wrote:

        > Sorry for repeating a question that is so often asked, but knowing
        > that there are couple of people out there who just had surgery around
        > the same time as me, I was just wondering:� how is your swelling, and
        > how fast does it go down?� My surgery was last Thursday (upper and
        > lower), and I still have quite a bit of swelling around my nose, lips
        > and chin.� It is better than couple of days ago, but still..... How
        > much longer? :)� Will I still look like a monster when I go for my
        > post op checkup in 2 days?
        >
        > Thanks everyone!
        > Irene.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        > <22305_0205_016_b_300250_a.gif>
        > <l.gif>
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > �
        > �
        > Service.

      • phil
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2005
          Irene,

          I had upper (extended) and genio surgery last wednesday and, I guess,
          like you I'm looking anxiously in the mirror whenever I walk past it.
          I too still have a lot of swelling, my cheeks and my chin (or should
          I say chins, lol) look kind of jowly, not sure if I like the new look
          yet or not. My wife says it looks good but I'm not so sure. There's
          one thing for sure if the jowly look doesnt dissapear when the
          swelling finally goes down then the liquid diet will certainly put
          paid to them, lol.

          I guess there is one thing that does bother me and that is my speach.
          I cant seem to annunciate words properly, R's S's and T's are
          difficult and I'm not sure if that is because my upper lip seems
          almost (but not quite) paralysed or if it is the swelling I still
          seem to have at the back of my soft palate of if it is simply the
          change in shape of my mouth. How is your speach??

          hope this helps (we are both in the same boat it seems)

          Take care

          Phil

          --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "rakushka"
          <rakushka@y...> wrote:

          > Sorry for repeating a question that is so often asked, but knowing
          > that there are couple of people out there who just had surgery
          around
          > the same time as me, I was just wondering: how is your swelling,
          and
          > how fast does it go down? My surgery was last Thursday (upper and
          > lower), and I still have quite a bit of swelling around my nose,
          lips
          > and chin. It is better than couple of days ago, but still..... How
          > much longer? :) Will I still look like a monster when I go for my
          > post op checkup in 2 days?
          >
          > Thanks everyone!
          > Irene.
        • okkitakun
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2005
            i had both upper and lower and it took about a year for the full
            swelling to completely disappear. i look back in pitures and see my
            face getting slimmer and slimmer as the months went on, until it
            finally stopped changing. (this is back in 97-98 btw.) but i didn't
            have the same experience as everyone else it would seem. no magic
            overnite diminsh in swelling.

            <rakushka@y...> wrote:

            > Sorry for repeating a question that is so often asked, but knowing
            > that there are couple of people out there who just had surgery
            around
            > the same time as me, I was just wondering: how is your swelling,
            and
            > how fast does it go down? My surgery was last Thursday (upper and
            > lower), and I still have quite a bit of swelling around my nose,
            lips
            > and chin. It is better than couple of days ago, but still..... How
            > much longer? :) Will I still look like a monster when I go for my
            > post op checkup in 2 days?
            >
            > Thanks everyone!
            > Irene.
          • queelace
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 12, 2005
              -Irene:

              I had my surgery a couple of days after you on Thursday. By Saturday,
              I looked like a squirrel storing watermelons for the winter in his
              cheeks. But this started to go down rapidly and by Tuesday (6 days
              post-op) all the major swelling was gone. I still have some residual
              minor swelling over the surgical site and I had pronounced bruising
              on my neck and chest but that almost completely disappeared within 10
              days.

              David