Re: Weird super sensitivity -- makes shaving and brushing almost impossible!

  • aruwoman
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
      I had my braces removed yesterday and the tears were streaming down
      my face, because my lower teeth have also become sooo sensitive after
      surgery. The endresult is worth it though! Need to come back on
      Thursday for my retainers and I really need them, in one day I am
      already feeling my teeth shift.

      Nathalie

      --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, fiddlesticks220002
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:

      > I didn't have pain on using my sonicare post-op, but the vibrations
      > were just way too much for my teeth. I had no aching or pains in my
      > teeth during my ortho care, but for some reason, they were all more
      > sensitive post-op. Eventually I got back to using the sonicare, but
      > won't say it happened in a few months time, it did take awhile
      before
      > I was comfortable again.
      >
      > You'd be surprised how interconnected things are to that main nerve
      > that runs through the lower jaw! Give it some more time, you're
      still
      > pretty early on in the recovery as far as tinglies/numbness goes.
      >
      > Susan
      >
      > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "cosmid92671"
      > <cosmid92671@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi all.
      > >
      > > Oct 5th, had upper and lower jaw surgery.
      > >
      > > Right now, it feels like my lower lips is windburned/sunburned,
      but
      > > when I touch it, I feel tingling (not really any sensation yet).
      > If I
      > > touch my chin (whether it's the shower spray hitting it, or I'm
      > > shaving, or even washing it), my lower right teeth feel extreme
      > pain.
      > > Also, I can't use my soniccare toothbrush with out feeling pain
      on
      > > thoose same teeth.
      > >
      > > Anyone else with this? Will you tell me, "And this too shall
      > pass?"
      > >

      > > Thanks!
      > >
      > > -Blake
    • hmakosky
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
        Hi--I can't relate to the shaving thing but can definitely relate to
        the sensitivity. I had lower jaw surgery on July 15th and developed
        incredible sensitivity on my lower bicuspids at about 5 weeks post op
        and at first I thought I needed a root canal or something (me being
        the worst case scenario person I am). My oral surgeon took an x-ray
        and he saw no problems, my dentist also said no cavity it will just
        take time. At the time, end of August, my oral surgeon said it might
        take two or so months from the sensitivity to subside and here it is
        December 1 and it has subsided a lot but not totally.

        Anyway, I guess my point is give yourself some more time and the
        sensitivity should subside. I know it's annoying and painful but
        just try to be patient.

        Helen

        <cosmid92671@y...> wrote:

        > Hi all.
        >
        > Oct 5th, had upper and lower jaw surgery.
        >
        > Right now, it feels like my lower lips is windburned/sunburned, but
        > when I touch it, I feel tingling (not really any sensation yet).
        If I
        > touch my chin (whether it's the shower spray hitting it, or I'm
        > shaving, or even washing it), my lower right teeth feel extreme
        pain.
        > Also, I can't use my soniccare toothbrush with out feeling pain on
        > thoose same teeth.
        >
        > Anyone else with this? Will you tell me, "And this too shall
        pass?"

        > Thanks!
        >
        > -Blake
      • Ya, like Id tell ya that!
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
          Well, now realizing how many people have this problem MONTHS after
          surgery, I am regretting the fact that I did it! I am only 2 weeks
          and 1 day post op from lower jaw surgery, and going on vacation on
          January 2nd. My OS assured me that I would have my feeling back and
          be able to eat and have a good time on vacation, and now, I know
          different. My teeth are becoming sensitive (but I do get to take my
          bands off twice a day to eat soft foods now!), and I am shoving small
          tablets of Ibuprofen through my small bite now instead of liquid
          Ibuprofen, which is a lot better too...ahhhh darn nerves...I wish
          this was different for everybody!
        • ceast36532
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
            I'm sorry that was so painful for you. It is not the norm, but it
            happens occasionally.

            cammie

            --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, aruwoman
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:

            > I had my braces removed yesterday and the tears were streaming down
            > my face, because my lower teeth have also become sooo sensitive
            after
            > surgery. The endresult is worth it though! Need to come back on
            > Thursday for my retainers and I really need them, in one day I am
            > already feeling my teeth shift.
            >
            > Nathalie
            >
            > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com,
            fiddlesticks220002
            > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I didn't have pain on using my sonicare post-op, but the
            vibrations
            > > were just way too much for my teeth. I had no aching or pains in
            my
            > > teeth during my ortho care, but for some reason, they were all
            more
            > > sensitive post-op. Eventually I got back to using the sonicare,
            but
            > > won't say it happened in a few months time, it did take awhile
            > before
            > > I was comfortable again.
            > >
            > > You'd be surprised how interconnected things are to that main
            nerve
            > > that runs through the lower jaw! Give it some more time, you're
            > still
            > > pretty early on in the recovery as far as tinglies/numbness goes.
            > >
            > > Susan
            > >
            > > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "cosmid92671"
            > > <cosmid92671@y...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi all.
            > > >
            > > > Oct 5th, had upper and lower jaw surgery.
            > > >
            > > > Right now, it feels like my lower lips is windburned/sunburned,
            > but
            > > > when I touch it, I feel tingling (not really any sensation
            yet).
            > > If I
            > > > touch my chin (whether it's the shower spray hitting it, or I'm
            > > > shaving, or even washing it), my lower right teeth feel extreme
            > > pain.
            > > > Also, I can't use my soniccare toothbrush with out feeling
            pain
            > on
            > > > thoose same teeth.
            > > >
            > > > Anyone else with this? Will you tell me, "And this too shall
            > > pass?"
            > > >

            > > > Thanks!
            > > >
            > > > -Blake
          • tom_pooler2000
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
              I had surgery on August 17 and still have that weird numbness
              feeling in part of my chin and lip. When I shave it has this weird
              hurt/weak feeling and is very strange. I have used the Sonicare for
              sometime as it stimulates the nerves.

              --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, ceast36532
              <no_reply@y...> wrote:

              > I'm sorry that was so painful for you. It is not the norm, but it
              > happens occasionally.
              >
              > cammie
              >
              > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, aruwoman
              > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I had my braces removed yesterday and the tears were streaming
              down
              > > my face, because my lower teeth have also become sooo sensitive
              > after
              > > surgery. The endresult is worth it though! Need to come back on
              > > Thursday for my retainers and I really need them, in one day I
              am
              > > already feeling my teeth shift.
              > >
              > > Nathalie
              > >
              > > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com,
              > fiddlesticks220002
              > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I didn't have pain on using my sonicare post-op, but the
              > vibrations
              > > > were just way too much for my teeth. I had no aching or pains
              in
              > my
              > > > teeth during my ortho care, but for some reason, they were all
              > more
              > > > sensitive post-op. Eventually I got back to using the
              sonicare,
              > but
              > > > won't say it happened in a few months time, it did take awhile
              > > before
              > > > I was comfortable again.
              > > >
              > > > You'd be surprised how interconnected things are to that main
              > nerve
              > > > that runs through the lower jaw! Give it some more time,
              you're
              > > still
              > > > pretty early on in the recovery as far as tinglies/numbness
              goes.

              > > > Susan
              > > >
              > > > --- In
              orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "cosmid92671"

              > > but
              > yet).
              > > > If I
              I'm
              > > > pain.
              > pain
              > > on

              > > > pass?"

            • ceast36532
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
                Way, way too soon to be worrying, I think.

                I dunno why your surgeon promised you anything by a specific time,
                except that such has probably been his experience.

                But you get your wish. "This IS different for everybody!" I know
                that's not the sense in which you meant it, but just because one
                person, or one hundred people for that matter, has an experience, it
                does not mean that you will have the same one.

                I'm gonna hope for you that things get better in the month between
                now and take-off time.

                Cammie

                --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "Ya, like Id tell

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
                  But did you win, Tom?

                  cammie

                  --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "tom_pooler2000"
                  <tom_pooler2000@y...> wrote:

                  > I had surgery on August 17 and still have that weird numbness
                  > feeling in part of my chin and lip. When I shave it has this weird
                  > hurt/weak feeling and is very strange. I have used the Sonicare
                  for
                  > sometime as it stimulates the nerves.
                  >
                  > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, ceast36532
                  > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I'm sorry that was so painful for you. It is not the norm, but it
                  > > happens occasionally.
                  > >
                  > > cammie
                  > >
                  > > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, aruwoman
                  > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I had my braces removed yesterday and the tears were streaming
                  > down
                  > > > my face, because my lower teeth have also become sooo sensitive
                  > > after
                  > > > surgery. The endresult is worth it though! Need to come back on
                  > > > Thursday for my retainers and I really need them, in one day I
                  > am
                  > > > already feeling my teeth shift.
                  > > >
                  > > > Nathalie
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com,
                  > > fiddlesticks220002

                  > > vibrations
                  > in
                  > > my
                  > > more
                  > sonicare,
                  > > but
                  > > > before

                  > > nerve
                  > you're
                  > > > still
                  > goes.

                  > orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "cosmid92671"

                  > windburned/sunburned,
                  > > > but
                  > > yet).
                  > I'm
                  > extreme
                  > > pain
                  > > > on

                  > shall

                • tom_pooler2000
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 7, 2005
                    Did I win...hmmm did I win...ok I'm game did I win what?

                    <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                    > But did you win, Tom?
                    >
                    > cammie
                    >
                    > --- In
                    orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "tom_pooler2000"
                    > <tom_pooler2000@y...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I had surgery on August 17 and still have that weird numbness
                    > > feeling in part of my chin and lip. When I shave it has this
                    weird
                    > > hurt/weak feeling and is very strange. I have used the Sonicare
                    > for
                    > > sometime as it stimulates the nerves.
                    > >
                    > > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, ceast36532
                    > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I'm sorry that was so painful for you. It is not the norm, but
                    it
                    > > > happens occasionally.
                    > > >
                    > > > cammie
                    > > >
                    > > > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, aruwoman

                    > > down
                    > > > after
                    > > am

                    > > > fiddlesticks220002

                    > > > vibrations
                    > > in
                    > > > my
                    > all
                    > > > more
                    > > sonicare,
                    > > > but
                    > awhile

                    > > > nerve
                    > > you're
                    > > goes.

                    > > orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "cosmid92671"

                    > > windburned/sunburned,
                    > > > yet).
                    > > I'm
                    > > extreme
                    > > > pain

                    > > shall

                  • ceast36532
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 7, 2005
                      I'm guessing I screwed up. Weren't there two Toms who posted on this
                      site about the time you had surgery? One of 'em was running for some
                      municipal office in northern California, and from your bafflement,
                      I'm guessing that it was the other Tom. Sorry.

                      Oh well. At least I tried to put you in office...

                      And if your surgery went well, you're a REAL WINNER!