Re: [Orthognathic Surgery Support ] Re: Tooth Discoloration post surgery

  • dwilzen
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
      Is there pain when hot or cold touches the tooth. after about 6 months of braces I had one of my upper front teeth die and had to have a root canal done. When I first noticed it there was very sharp pain in the tooth whenever something cold hit is and then I noticed discolor to it. It turned kinda greyish in color.

      michaeljharvey <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      It is possible for this surgery to lead to nerve death in a tooth. If
      the nerve within the tooth is damaged the tooth will sometimes become
      discolored. I've been told that this is fairly rare, but a few people
      on here have reported it. My periodontist checked my x-rays very
      closely for signs of damaged teeth after she found out I had jaw surgery.

      I think you need to have your dentist look at the tooth to make sure
      it hasn't been damaged. That's probably your best course of action.

      -Michael

      --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "Ashley OHara"
      <alo44@h...> wrote:

      > I don't think tooth discoloration is actually caused by surgery -
      > damaged nerves won't change the color of your teeth. Having braces
      > may be the source of the discoloration, though. I had braces
      > initially for 1.5 years, and have a bit of discoloration on one of
      > my front teeth due to staining. I've yet to do anything about it
      > because I will be getting braces again to prepare for surgery.
      > Quite honestly, I bet other people don't even notice it! I know I
      > can obsess over it at times, but others claim that they never
      > would've noticed. If it's bothering you, though, I know there are a
      > few options that other people on this board will be able to tell you
      > about...
      >

      > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "that_girl100"
      > <kcrabtre@d...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello,
      > >
      > > Just curious if anyone has experienced tooth discoloration since
      > > either their surgery or braces... I had surgery in May and was
      > very
      > > pleased with my results, but about 2 months ago, my orthodontist
      > > said "did you notice that your one front tooth is discoloured?"
      > >
      > > Now i'm not sure if it was always that way, or if it just
      > developed
      > > since either braces or the surgery... i know that it is a risk of
      > > surgery because they're working with all the nerves and things...
      > so
      > > i'm just wondering if anyone has had any of their teeth
      > discoloured..
      > >
      > > if so, did you do anything about it? I'm wondering if veneers
      > will
      > > be my only option to treat this, since it's really beginning to
      > > bother me.. any advice would be appreciated!! thanks,
      > >
      > > Kirstin

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • that_girl100
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
        Actually the tooth isn't sensitive at all, but it is slightly
        greyish compared to the other tooth. I think I will wait and see
        how noticeable it is when I get my braces off (in 2 weeks!!!).. It
        may look worse now than it really since I have the clear braces on
        top and over the past 2 years I think they've changed colour a
        bit... and especially the clear elastics always stain.. so I'll see
        if I notice it a lot when there's no ceramic on them, haha.

        So thanks to you, michael and ashley for your comments!

        Kirstin

        --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, dwilzen
        <dwilzen@y...> wrote:
        Is there pain when hot or cold touches the tooth. after about 6
        months of braces I had one of my upper front teeth die and had to
        have a root canal done. When I first noticed it there was very sharp
        pain in the tooth whenever something cold hit is and then I noticed
        discolor to it. It turned kinda greyish in color.

        > michaeljharvey <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        It is possible for this surgery to lead to nerve death in a tooth. If
        the nerve within the tooth is damaged the tooth will sometimes become
        discolored. I've been told that this is fairly rare, but a few people
        on here have reported it. My periodontist checked my x-rays very
        closely for signs of damaged teeth after she found out I had jaw
        surgery.

        I think you need to have your dentist look at the tooth to make sure
        it hasn't been damaged. That's probably your best course of action.

        > -Michael
        >
        > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "Ashley OHara"
        > <alo44@h...> wrote:

        I don't think tooth discoloration is actually caused by surgery -
        damaged nerves won't change the color of your teeth. Having braces
        may be the source of the discoloration, though. I had braces
        initially for 1.5 years, and have a bit of discoloration on one of
        my front teeth due to staining. I've yet to do anything about it
        because I will be getting braces again to prepare for surgery.
        Quite honestly, I bet other people don't even notice it! I know I
        can obsess over it at times, but others claim that they never
        would've noticed. If it's bothering you, though, I know there are a
        few options that other people on this board will be able to tell you
        about...
      • ceast36532
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2, 2004
          Forgive me if I'm going back into past history on this one. I've been
          not able to use the computer at home for a few days.

          But it is my understanding (although not from my own experience) that
          if the tooth dies, which can happen in surgery, it can indeed
          discolor, turning a blackish color.

          I believe this is quite different from staining that may come as a
          result of incomplete cleaning or the use of certain mouthwashes.

          Cammie

          <alo44@h...> wrote:

          > I don't think tooth discoloration is actually caused by surgery -
          > damaged nerves won't change the color of your teeth. Having braces
          > may be the source of the discoloration, though. I had braces
          > initially for 1.5 years, and have a bit of discoloration on one of
          > my front teeth due to staining. I've yet to do anything about it
          > because I will be getting braces again to prepare for surgery.
          > Quite honestly, I bet other people don't even notice it! I know I
          > can obsess over it at times, but others claim that they never
          > would've noticed. If it's bothering you, though, I know there are
          > few options that other people on this board will be able to tell
          you
          > about...
          >

          > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "that_girl100"
          > <kcrabtre@d...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > Just curious if anyone has experienced tooth discoloration since
          > > either their surgery or braces... I had surgery in May and was
          > very
          > > pleased with my results, but about 2 months ago, my orthodontist
          > > said "did you notice that your one front tooth is discoloured?"
          > >
          > > Now i'm not sure if it was always that way, or if it just
          > developed
          > > since either braces or the surgery... i know that it is a risk of
          > > surgery because they're working with all the nerves and things...
          > so
          > > i'm just wondering if anyone has had any of their teeth
          > discoloured..
          > >
          > > if so, did you do anything about it? I'm wondering if veneers
          > will
          > > be my only option to treat this, since it's really beginning to
          > > bother me.. any advice would be appreciated!! thanks,
          > >
          > > Kirstin
        • Ray
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 2, 2004
            --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, ceast36532 <no_reply@y...>
            wrote:

            > Forgive me if I'm going back into past history on this one. I've been
            > not able to use the computer at home for a few days.
            >
            > But it is my understanding (although not from my own experience) that
            > if the tooth dies, which can happen in surgery, it can indeed
            > discolor, turning a blackish color.
            >
            > I believe this is quite different from staining that may come as a
            > result of incomplete cleaning or the use of certain mouthwashes.
            >
            > Cammie

            You're right, a blackish coloured teeth is the sign of a dead teeth (I know
            this because I had one once, when I was young).

            Teeth discoloration seems to be a real thing because my dentist told me
            I might, just might, need to have my teeth withened after the removal of
            my braces. She said it's exceptional, but there's a risk. But she won't just
            start a treatment without first using more conventional (and less expensive)
            means to turn my teeth white again.

            Ray
          • ceast36532
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 2, 2004
              My sweet dentist doesn't do work for free, but after the braces and
              surgery he did do the whitening (Opalescence was the brand, and we
              used the little acryllic retainers for the trays -- warning, if you
              have a large silver amalgam filling, the acid for the whitening can
              interact with the filling and stain the retainer) for free. When I
              asked him about it, he said, "I thought you'd been through enough and
              that you deserved it!"

              See why I like him?

              Cammie

              --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "Ray"
              <carbone@v...> wrote:

              > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, ceast36532
              <no_reply@y...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Forgive me if I'm going back into past history on this one. I've
              been
              > > not able to use the computer at home for a few days.
              > >
              > > But it is my understanding (although not from my own experience)
              that
              > > if the tooth dies, which can happen in surgery, it can indeed
              > > discolor, turning a blackish color.
              > >
              > > I believe this is quite different from staining that may come as
              > > result of incomplete cleaning or the use of certain mouthwashes.
              > >
              > > Cammie
              >
              > You're right, a blackish coloured teeth is the sign of a dead teeth
              (I know
              > this because I had one once, when I was young).
              >
              > Teeth discoloration seems to be a real thing because my dentist
              told me
              > I might, just might, need to have my teeth withened after the
              removal of
              > my braces. She said it's exceptional, but there's a risk. But she
              won't just
              > start a treatment without first using more conventional (and less
              expensive)
              > means to turn my teeth white again.
              >
              > Ray
            • Ray
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 2, 2004
                wrote:

                > My sweet dentist doesn't do work for free, but after the braces and
                > surgery he did do the whitening (Opalescence was the brand, and we
                > used the little acryllic retainers for the trays -- warning, if you
                > have a large silver amalgam filling, the acid for the whitening can
                > interact with the filling and stain the retainer) for free. When I
                > asked him about it, he said, "I thought you'd been through enough and
                > that you deserved it!"
                >
                > See why I like him?
                >
                > Cammie

                Humm... I thought my dentist was unique... I see it's a common behavior!!

                Ray
              • anae3333
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 4, 2004
                  I also have a tooth thats slowly turning greyish. Its definitely not
                  plaque or tartar--and it wasnt always that color either. It doesnt
                  hurt, but still I worry about it. Its right next to a couple of
                  teeth that felt too loose. Slowly those teeth are firming up. But
                  the grey hasnt gone away. Im afraid its the first sign you need a
                  root canal. Anybody know?