Just had surgery~ Worse than I thought

  • surgery062304
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2004
      Just had my surgery of upper jaw 2 vertical cuts, and one long
      horizontal cut, and lower jaw 2 vertical cuts.
      Not having a goodnight again. Wasn't able to stand up alone and
      walk with normal breathing until finally, day 4? Stayed 23 hour at
      hosp. Kept trying to vomit with my ng tube in. The second day I
      thought I was dying. Couldn't breathe. Face swollen from below
      eyes to below chin. Couldn't get any air through my nose. Any
      little movement I made would make my heart rate increase, and
      breathing! I pannicked when I couldn't get enough air.
      Finally now, at day nine. I can walk and breathe normal. I eat
      mashed potatoes, pudding, and soups. Still can't chew. My face is
      still numb and swollen. I feel like I am going to lose my mind at
      times because I am not able to do everyday things.
      I actually thought that by day two I would be up and about in public
      like others.
      Right now my muscles in my jaw are aching and very annoying! So,
      here I am.
    • albertiway
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2004
        Not sure of your name,

        Hi, i am on day 6 of similar surgery with extras! I remember when i
        got back from hospital i could not wait to get on this site to post
        what had happened to me and i remember feeling, no one else scared
        the shit out of me, i have to be careful of my words. Well, as
        someone else said already, what we pass through makes us stronger
        and the passing of time helps some of those feelings. i did not have
        the best time either, but for all i had been through i feel as
        though i did pretty well. i had my first crying episode last night
        and it's not that easy to cry all swollen up like this. i cannot
        sleep. i really cannot sleep. i think i am entering a panic phase
        whereby 5pm,i get super annoyed that nighttime sleep will be coming.
        i spent the entire night except for one hour in beginning and one
        and a half at end, in a recliner chair. it was the only way i could
        get any sleep. i was VERY fearful of the breathing issues you had,
        but luckily, although i had them, they were not that bad. i was very
        sick post surgery, but have been with all my other surgeries too so
        i know it is an anestheisa thing. KEEP IN MIND. ALMOST ALL people
        who go through this would go through it again because of the
        outcome. i think you will be pleased. somone on the site said they
        never wanted, ever again, to smile with their hand in front of their
        mouth. Day by day, do what you can, but as you have seen, don;'t
        overdo it. i am panicking as my 9 month old is coming home tmorrow
        and i am not sure i can handle her. i will hvae some help, but she
        was away for one week and although that was tough, it was best for
        my healing. Keep checking in, you WILL get healthier. Katie

        --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, surgery062304
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Just had my surgery of upper jaw 2 vertical cuts, and one long
        > horizontal cut, and lower jaw 2 vertical cuts.
        > Not having a goodnight again. Wasn't able to stand up alone and
        > walk with normal breathing until finally, day 4? Stayed 23 hour
        at
        > hosp. Kept trying to vomit with my ng tube in. The second day I
        > thought I was dying. Couldn't breathe. Face swollen from below
        > eyes to below chin. Couldn't get any air through my nose. Any
        > little movement I made would make my heart rate increase, and
        > breathing! I pannicked when I couldn't get enough air.
        > Finally now, at day nine. I can walk and breathe normal. I eat
        > mashed potatoes, pudding, and soups. Still can't chew. My face
        is
        > still numb and swollen. I feel like I am going to lose my mind at
        > times because I am not able to do everyday things.
        > I actually thought that by day two I would be up and about in
        public
        > like others.
        > Right now my muscles in my jaw are aching and very annoying! So,
        > here I am.
      • spongebob94521
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2004
          Everything you said, I went through too. I had major axiety
          attacks. Days 3 and 4 are THE worst. On the 4th day when my OS
          called to see how I was, I was sitting on my bathroom floor, not
          being able to move, right in the middle of a full blown axiety
          attack. my mom was sitting with me. I begged and cried to the doc
          to let me cut my bands. He prescribed me Valium and I had Xanax but
          was too scared to take the Xanax because it makes you sleepy and
          everytime I tried to sleep, I would stop breathing (congestion). My
          mom finally convinced me to take a Xanax and it help immensly. I
          continued to take the meds for a week and I can definitely say that
          I could not have gotten through this without them (I am not a pill
          taker, hate meds). I am 2 weeks post op and feeling great. Still
          swollen and I finally figured out what I looked like. Ever seen The
          Grinch? I look like a person from Whosville (I think that's what
          thier called). Boy what a difference a few days make.--- In
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > Just had my surgery of upper jaw 2 vertical cuts, and one long
          > horizontal cut, and lower jaw 2 vertical cuts.
          > Not having a goodnight again. Wasn't able to stand up alone and
          > walk with normal breathing until finally, day 4? Stayed 23 hour
          at
          > hosp. Kept trying to vomit with my ng tube in. The second day I
          > thought I was dying. Couldn't breathe. Face swollen from below
          > eyes to below chin. Couldn't get any air through my nose. Any
          > little movement I made would make my heart rate increase, and
          > breathing! I pannicked when I couldn't get enough air.
          > Finally now, at day nine. I can walk and breathe normal. I eat
          > mashed potatoes, pudding, and soups. Still can't chew. My face
          is
          > still numb and swollen. I feel like I am going to lose my mind at
          > times because I am not able to do everyday things.
          > I actually thought that by day two I would be up and about in
          public
          > like others.
          > Right now my muscles in my jaw are aching and very annoying! So,
          > here I am.
        • AJ
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1, 2004
            Is it Katie?

            I also had serious sleeping problems post surgery. I found that to
            be one of the most difficult parts of the recovery...when you cant
            sleep (and I know what you mean...not even a wink), it makes you that
            much more tired and frusterated.

            I tried something a little unconventional, which helped
            tremendously. I smoked a little bit of weed one night, which put me
            out for about 12 hours of rock hard sleep. It also helped me sleep
            the following nights (without smoking). I think once you get one
            good night of sleep, your body is able to sleep again. Maybe there
            is such a thing as being too tired to fall asleep?

            Anyway, just wanted to share my solution!

            -AJ

            --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "albertiway"