Re: [Orthognathic Surgery Support ] Military Surgeon

  • sara beebe
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1 5:31 AM
      hello my name is sara and I am about to have the exact thing surgery in august. my upper jaw widened by a military oral surgeon and I was wondering who or where you had your surgery. please let me know.

      Shawna <shawnamarie90@...> wrote:I am a new member of this group....kinda...I was a member about 2
      years ago before my surgery but I am back. I had my surgery in
      January 03 by military doctors. I was wondering if anyone went
      through the military to do their surgery? In March 02, I had the
      surgery where my upper jaw was widened, I had a huge gap in my two
      front teeth for about 4 months......it was horrible. Once the braces
      strainghted my teeth, I was ready for my 2nd surgery. I had my chin
      moved forward, upper jaw moved up and back. It was supposed to be
      about 5 hours but it turned into about 7 hours of surgery.
      Anyway...has anyone had any problems with their jaw since their
      surgery? I still have pain in my jaw and it always feels really
      tight. Please share any story with me related to mine. Thanks!
      Shawna

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • minirascal2002
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1 6:12 AM
        Hi,
        I started my treatment while still in the military (Air Force) at
        Keesler in Biloxi, Mississippi. They did do a lot of orthognathic
        surgery at Keesler - I was told 2-3 surgeries per week so they were
        very experienced. However I was not able to complete my treatment
        while I was still active duty. My braces had been on for about 15
        months when I was deployed to Saudi Arabia. At the time, the
        regulations said that you couldn't be deployed with braces so my
        orthodontist took everything off. She gave me temporary retainers
        but we still had to start over again by the time I got back home and
        by then I had less than a year left of my military commitment.

        For me that actually worked out well. The military surgeon said he
        had never seen a case as complicated as mine but he said he knew
        some excellent civilian surgeons in the area (I wonder if he meant
        yours, Cammie) that he would consult with when I was ready for
        surgery. That did make me nervous. I did know others though who did
        have their surgery at Keesler and were very happy with the results.
        Karen

        --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, sara beebe
        <armyairforcewife@y...> wrote:
        > hello my name is sara and I am about to have the exact thing
        surgery in august. my upper jaw widened by a military oral surgeon
        and I was wondering who or where you had your surgery. please let
        me know.

        > Shawna <shawnamarie90@a...> wrote:I am a new member of this
        group....kinda...I was a member about 2
        > years ago before my surgery but I am back. I had my surgery in
        > January 03 by military doctors. I was wondering if anyone went
        > through the military to do their surgery? In March 02, I had the
        > surgery where my upper jaw was widened, I had a huge gap in my two
        > front teeth for about 4 months......it was horrible. Once the
        braces
        > strainghted my teeth, I was ready for my 2nd surgery. I had my
        chin
        > moved forward, upper jaw moved up and back. It was supposed to be
        > about 5 hours but it turned into about 7 hours of surgery.
        > Anyway...has anyone had any problems with their jaw since their
        > surgery? I still have pain in my jaw and it always feels really
        > tight. Please share any story with me related to mine. Thanks!
        > Shawna
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Service.

      • sara beebe
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1 9:09 AM
          well I fell a little better about my surgery coming up. My surgeon is Dr. McCravy at the naval hospital in charleston S.C. even though my husband is in the air force. Its funny how your doctor said that your's was the most complicated case they have ever seen because my o.s. said the exact same thing about me. well I hope all is well for you. Thanks for the info!! sara

          minirascal2002 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Hi,