Re: carbohydrates and energy

  • till_shiloh
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2004
      Eileen,
      I don't think there's alot of carb questions as post op that seems
      to be what your diet gets limited to as alot of softer foods are
      carbs - bread, noodles, mashed potatoes...

      Good carbs being whole grains like brown
      rice, whole wheat bread, quinoa, non-instant oatmeal, etc (and also
      veggies and fruits). Whole grains take longer to break down, and you
      have a steady supply of energy for a longer period of time.
      =also though whole grains tend to be harder to eat, sure you can get
      them but the carbs can be 'smoother' so to speak. But I am sure
      alot of us do eat whole grain carbs, I do.

      I don't think its the carb issue that you get hungry or fatigued
      about but rather the lack of substance in the tummy and lack of
      protiens, oh yeah and fibre. Most food post op has to be mushy, I
      went on the other side and got solid food and broke it down into
      chewed size whole pieces and swallowed them like that so my stomach
      had the type of food it was used to.

      Anytime you drastically change the diet your body is going to let
      you know. But you should post some whole grain ideas as alot of us
      probably go for easy and convienent post op without thinking about
      whole grain. However in this post atkins carb nightmare...you may
      not get many listeners - the beer commericals make me laugh - if you
      are drinking a sixpack of beer how concerned are you really with
      your diet?

      Shiloh