braces pre-op

  • julia8d
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
      Are metal braces the only kinds available for post-op orthodontic
      treatment? -julia
    • ceast36532
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
        Nope. I had ceramic upper brackets, and metal lower ones. You might,
        however, want to keep in mind that the ceramic ones can splinter, and
        if a piece of one finds its way to your lung, it may not be findable
        with an x-ray, and can cause you significant troubles. I do not,
        however, know of anyone to whom this has happened.

        C.
        --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "julia8d"
        <julia8d@y...> wrote:
        > Are metal braces the only kinds available for post-op orthodontic
        > treatment? -julia
      • ebrown1003
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
          I have the clear ones and had surgery 3 months ago. About 5 of the
          brackets broke during surgery, but that was quickly fixed after my
          first orthro appt. (about 8-9 weeks) and nobody worried because I
          was splinted so long and that kept the teeth in position.
          Emily

          <julia8d@y...> wrote:
          > Are metal braces the only kinds available for post-op orthodontic
          > treatment? -julia
        • Erin
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
            I had ceramic uppers for my entire orthodontic treatment - both
            before and after surgery. One of my uppers splintered during
            surgery, but that caused no complications. When my ortho put me in
            braces, he said that I was his first surgical patient to use ceramics
            because he'd recently found ones that were small enough to not pose a
            hygiene threat during recovery. Apparently the ceramic brackets most
            commonly used aren't preferred for orthognathic surgery patients.
            That said, I hardly felt it when my ortho snapped my lower metal
            brackets off, but I REALLY felt it when he removed the ceramic
            uppers. Given the same choices though, I still would have chosen as
            I did.

            Erin